Mailing List Archive

tuning problems
Well I've got my PVR-150 working nicely... the new outside yagi is
pointing roughly in the right direction and is providing a better picture
than the old rabbits ears.

However mythtv-backend is not displaying the right channels. I have an
epg source set up and working fine, but the only channel that shows in
mythfrontend is TV1, which is numbered "1000" and is labelled as "Fiji
News"

scantv finds no channels - it complains that "Television" is an invalid
input. Nowhere can I see how to tell it to look for "Tuner 0"

ptune.pl complains:
mythtv:~# /usr/src/ivtv-0.4.0/utils/perl/ptune.pl
Can't locate Video/Frequencies.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.7 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.7 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8
/usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/src/ivtv-0.4.0/utils/perl/ptune.pl
line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/src/ivtv-0.4.0/utils/perl/ptune.pl line 8.

ptune-iu.pl does the same.

Where am I going wrong? this feels so close to working right!

RE: tuning problems [ In reply to ]
You are missing the Perl module Video::Frequencies

Google for "perl Video::Frequencies" and get the one that suits your
distribution (in Debian apt-get knows about it - I assume yum and whatever
also do).

In ivtv-0.4.0 why not ivtv-tune rather than ptune.pl ?? It's got all the
frequencies built-in...

Re: tuning problems [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 9:34 pm, criggie@criggie.dyndns.org wrote:

> scantv finds no channels - it complains that "Television" is an invalid
> input. Nowhere can I see how to tell it to look for "Tuner 0"

ivtvctl -h

was helpful for me.

--
Regards, Robert

Robert Fisher
(aka - Rob, Bob, Robbie, Robbo, Fish)
FishNet Computer & Electrical Services
www.fisher.net.nz
Phone: 03 383 5807
Mobile: 027 477 3356

Re: tuning problems [ In reply to ]
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 9:34 pm, criggie@criggie.dyndns.org wrote:
>
>> scantv finds no channels - it complains that "Television" is an invalid
>> input. Nowhere can I see how to tell it to look for "Tuner 0"
>
> ivtvctl -h
>
> was helpful for me.

Thanks all - but the tuner card works fine. My poorly explained problem
was "how to I tell Mythtvbackend that TV3 is on frequency 123.4 MHz"

The configuration for mythtv-setup is what I'm talking about. I can tune
the card to a given frequency then cat /dev/video > file to produce a mpeg
of that channel.

RE: tuning problems [ In reply to ]
I never figured out how to get Myth to tune it. I use an external script
which basically contains the following line:

/usr/local/bin/ivtv-tune -d /dev/video0 -t newzealand -c $1

And myth supplies $1 as the FREQID from the channel table:

One 1
Two 5
Three 11
C4 2
Prime 60
Maori TV 44

These are frequencies off Kaukau. In other areas they are different, but
you get the idea (I hope!)

Re: tuning problems [ In reply to ]

On 12/10/05, Duncan Kennington <zilla@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> I never figured out how to get Myth to tune it. I use an external script
> which basically contains the following line:

Don't you just put those values into "frequency id" under the channel
setup (in mythsetup)? That's how I've got mine setup, though I don't
have a Hauppauge just a dumb tuner card.

Steve

Re: tuning problems [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 3:53 pm, Duncan Kennington wrote:
> I never figured out how to get Myth to tune it. I use an external script
> which basically contains the following line:
>
> /usr/local/bin/ivtv-tune -d /dev/video0 -t newzealand -c $1
>
> And myth supplies $1 as the FREQID from the channel table:
>
> One 1
> Two 5
> Three 11
> C4 2
> Prime 60
> Maori TV 44
>
> These are frequencies off Kaukau. In other areas they are different, but
> you get the idea (I hope!)

In Christchurch:-

3 = 6
2 = 8
C4 = 11
Prime = 62

Re: tuning problems [ In reply to ]
I'm making progress - now every channel shows TV3 :)

I have 1/2/3/C4/Prime/maori/triTV listed, but when viewing live TV they
all show the same programme.

I've tried the external tuner script but that's locked it at TV One
instead of 3

The problem must be simple - I feel its so close to working.

Re: tuning problems [ In reply to ]
> I'm making progress - now every channel shows TV3 :)
>
> I have 1/2/3/C4/Prime/maori/triTV listed, but when viewing live TV they
> all show the same programme.
>
> I've tried the external tuner script but that's locked it at TV One
> instead of 3
>
> The problem must be simple - I feel its so close to working.

You have noticed I hope that the channel number to tune to is on the
second of the 2 channel setup pages...

Sounds like you have left it blank. Either that or you have not set up the
card as a hardware mpeg encoder card so you're not sending it the right
sort of channel change message.

--
Robin Gilks