Mailing List Archive

IVTV problems
As per the Gentoo Wiki MythTV guide

we are trying to install ivtv but get the following.

* You have the msp3400 module that comes with the kernel. It isn't compatible
* with ivtv. You need to back it up to somewhere else, then run
'update-modules'
* The file to remove
is //lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo-r2/kernel/drivers/media/video/msp3400.ko

* You have the tda9887 module that comes with the kernel. It isn't compatible
* with ivtv. You need to back it up to somewhere else, then run
'update-modules'
* The file to remove
is //lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo-r2/kernel/drivers/media/video/tda9887.ko

* You have the tuner module that comes with the kernel. It isn't compatible
* with ivtv. You need to back it up to somewhere else, then run
'update-modules'
* The file to remove
is //lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo-r2/kernel/drivers/media/video/tuner.ko

* You have the tveeprom module that comes with the kernel. It isn't
compatible
* with ivtv. You need to back it up to somewhere else, then run
'update-modules'
* The file to remove
is //lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo-r2/kernel/drivers/media/video/tveeprom.ko

>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
>>> media-tv/ivtv-0.4.0-r2 merged.

Can I remove the offending modules with make menuconfig?
Where are they found?
Or do I manually remove the files?

--
Regards, Robert

Robert Fisher
(aka - Rob, Bob, Robbie, Robbo, Fish)
FishNet Computer & Electrical Services
www.fisher.net.nz
Phone: 03 383 5807
Mobile: 027 477 3356

Re: IVTV problems [ In reply to ]
Either delete them or move them to another directory.

The ivtv modules replace all of the named modules so you don't loose anything

Your next mission will be firmware loading :)

Re: IVTV problems [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 3:21 pm, Robert Fisher wrote:
> As per the Gentoo Wiki MythTV guide
at
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_MythTV

> Can I remove the offending modules with make menuconfig?
> Where are they found?

Answering my own question:

I removed
<M> BT848 Video For Linux
and
<M> Bt87x Audio Capture

re-emerged ivtv

and now I think ivtv is working.

Re: IVTV problems [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 3:25 pm, criggie@criggie.dyndns.org wrote:

> Your next mission will be firmware loading :)

Would you care to elaborate Craig?

We are having problems (mental blocks perhaps) tuning the card now.

We have managed to capture the input from Sky using the component input

ivtvctl -n

mythtv ~ # ivtvctl --set-input=2
ioctl VIDIOC_S_INPUT ok
Video input set to 2

but using the tuner input we do not know how to tune it.

Is there a howto for NZ? (which we can understand / follow)

Re: IVTV problems [ In reply to ]
>On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 3:25 pm, criggie@criggie.dyndns.org wrote:
>
>> Your next mission will be firmware loading :)
>
>Would you care to elaborate Craig?
>
>We are having problems (mental blocks perhaps) tuning the card now.
>
>We have managed to capture the input from Sky using the component input
>
>ivtvctl -n
>
>mythtv ~ # ivtvctl --set-input=2
>ioctl VIDIOC_S_INPUT ok
>Video input set to 2
>
>but using the tuner input we do not know how to tune it.
>
>Is there a howto for NZ? (which we can understand / follow)

So are you stuck at how to test the tuner with Free-To-Air channels?
Or how to get sky via the tuner?

The only way I know to get sky via the tuner is to set the capture
card channel to 38 (or whatever channel you've set your sky decoder
to use - it's in the advanced preferences of the sky decoder from
memory.) I believe 38 is what quite a few of the sky installers use
by default.

If it's FTA TV then you can use ptune-ui.pl to play round with. Just
find ptune-ui.pl (might be /usr/lib/ivtv/ )
then

./ptune-ui.pl &
mplayer -vo xv /dev/video0

Just don't change channels to quickly, as depending on your hardware
there may be a noticable delay between changing the tuner, and then
seeing it in mplayer

http://zaf.geek.nz/projects/mythtv/channels.php
has a list of channel ids if you need them.

The channels ids then get used in mythtv-setup, but you should be
able to suss that out at the right time.

- Wade

Re: IVTV problems [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 19:04:55 +1300
Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:

> >On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 3:25 pm, criggie@criggie.dyndns.org wrote:
> >
> >> Your next mission will be firmware loading :)
> >
> >Would you care to elaborate Craig?
> >
> >We are having problems (mental blocks perhaps) tuning the card now.
> >
> >We have managed to capture the input from Sky using the component input
> >
> >ivtvctl -n
> >
> >mythtv ~ # ivtvctl --set-input=2
> >ioctl VIDIOC_S_INPUT ok
> >Video input set to 2
> >
> >but using the tuner input we do not know how to tune it.
> >
> >Is there a howto for NZ? (which we can understand / follow)
> >

> So are you stuck at how to test the tuner with Free-To-Air channels?
> Or how to get sky via the tuner?
>
> The only way I know to get sky via the tuner is to set the capture
> card channel to 38 (or whatever channel you've set your sky decoder
> to use - it's in the advanced preferences of the sky decoder from
> memory.) I believe 38 is what quite a few of the sky installers use
> by default.
>
> If it's FTA TV then you can use ptune-ui.pl to play round with. Just
> find ptune-ui.pl (might be /usr/lib/ivtv/ )
> then
>
> ./ptune-ui.pl &
> mplayer -vo xv /dev/video0
>
> Just don't change channels to quickly, as depending on your hardware
> there may be a noticable delay between changing the tuner, and then
> seeing it in mplayer
>
> http://zaf.geek.nz/projects/mythtv/channels.php
> has a list of channel ids if you need them.
>
> The channels ids then get used in mythtv-setup, but you should be
> able to suss that out at the right time.
>
> - Wade

A couple of things Robert.

1. did you use the ivtv from portage or did you just download and hand
compile the driver? I did the latter as the ivtv ebuilds were very
flaky at the time - around April this year IIRC.
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Download

2. ivtv is a fast moving target. My version is 0.3.6r. I haven't
bothered to update it as it just works.

Current stable is 0.4.0, unstable is 0.5.0.
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Download . By contrast the ebuilds
available are:

* media-tv/ivtv
Available versions: ~0.2.0_rc3-r4 ~0.2.0_rc3-r5 ~0.3.8

3. there are ebuilds for the perl based tuning tools:

* dev-perl/Video-ivtv
Available versions: ~0.12 ~0.13
Installed: none
Homepage: http://ivtv.sourceforge.net
ivtv-ptune

* media-tv/ivtv-ptune
Available versions: ~0.2.0_rc3
Installed: none
Homepage: http://ivtv.sourceforge.net

Whether these are up to date i do not have a clue.

Re: IVTV problems [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 7:37 pm, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 19:04:55 +1300
>
> Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
> > >
> > >Would you care to elaborate Craig?
> > >
> > >We are having problems (mental blocks perhaps) tuning the card now.
> > >
> > >We have managed to capture the input from Sky using the component input
> > >
> > >ivtvctl -n
> > >
> > >mythtv ~ # ivtvctl --set-input=2
> > >ioctl VIDIOC_S_INPUT ok
> > >Video input set to 2
> > >
> > >but using the tuner input we do not know how to tune it.
> > >
> > >Is there a howto for NZ? (which we can understand / follow)
> >
> > So are you stuck at how to test the tuner with Free-To-Air channels?
> > Or how to get sky via the tuner?
> >
> > The only way I know to get sky via the tuner is to set the capture
> > card channel to 38 (or whatever channel you've set your sky decoder
> > to use - it's in the advanced preferences of the sky decoder from
> > memory.) I believe 38 is what quite a few of the sky installers use
> > by default.
> >
> > If it's FTA TV then you can use ptune-ui.pl to play round with. Just
> > find ptune-ui.pl (might be /usr/lib/ivtv/ )
> > then
> >
> > ./ptune-ui.pl &
> > mplayer -vo xv /dev/video0
> >
> > Just don't change channels to quickly, as depending on your hardware
> > there may be a noticable delay between changing the tuner, and then
> > seeing it in mplayer
> >
> > http://zaf.geek.nz/projects/mythtv/channels.php
> > has a list of channel ids if you need them.
> >
> > The channels ids then get used in mythtv-setup, but you should be
> > able to suss that out at the right time.
> >
> > - Wade
>
> A couple of things Robert.
>
> 1. did you use the ivtv from portage or did you just download and hand
> compile the driver? I did the latter as the ivtv ebuilds were very
> flaky at the time - around April this year IIRC.
> http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Download
>
> 2. ivtv is a fast moving target. My version is 0.3.6r. I haven't
> bothered to update it as it just works.
>
> Current stable is 0.4.0, unstable is 0.5.0.
> http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Download . By contrast the ebuilds
> available are:
>
> * media-tv/ivtv
> Available versions: ~0.2.0_rc3-r4 ~0.2.0_rc3-r5 ~0.3.8
>
> 3. there are ebuilds for the perl based tuning tools:
>
> * dev-perl/Video-ivtv
> Available versions: ~0.12 ~0.13
> Installed: none
> Homepage: http://ivtv.sourceforge.net
> ivtv-ptune
>
> * media-tv/ivtv-ptune
> Available versions: ~0.2.0_rc3
> Installed: none
> Homepage: http://ivtv.sourceforge.net
>
> Whether these are up to date i do not have a clue.

mythtv ~ # emerge -s ivtv
Searching...
[ Results for search key : ivtv ]
[ Applications found : 3 ]

* dev-perl/Video-ivtv
Latest version available: 0.13
Latest version installed: 0.13
Size of downloaded files: 20 kB
Homepage: http://ivtv.sourceforge.net
License: GPL-2

* media-tv/ivtv
Latest version available: 0.4.0-r2
Latest version installed: 0.4.0-r2
Size of downloaded files: 1,319 kB
Homepage: http://www.ivtvdriver.org
License: GPL-2

* media-tv/ivtv-ptune
Latest version available: 0.2.0_rc3
Latest version installed: 0.2.0_rc3
Size of downloaded files: 503 kB

Re: IVTV problems [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 7:04 pm, Wade Maxfield wrote:

> >but using the tuner input we do not know how to tune it.
> >
> >Is there a howto for NZ? (which we can understand / follow)
>
> So are you stuck at how to test the tuner with Free-To-Air channels?
Yes
> Or how to get sky via the tuner?
No we can get Sky either with the component input or when we get our tuning
sorted.

> The only way I know to get sky via the tuner is to set the capture
> card channel to 38 (or whatever channel you've set your sky decoder
> to use - it's in the advanced preferences of the sky decoder from
> memory.) I believe 38 is what quite a few of the sky installers use
> by default.
We use 26 and it now works.

> If it's FTA TV then you can use ptune-ui.pl to play round with. Just
> find ptune-ui.pl (might be /usr/lib/ivtv/ )
> then
>
> ./ptune-ui.pl &
> mplayer -vo xv /dev/video0

Perfect. Thanks

> Just don't change channels to quickly, as depending on your hardware
> there may be a noticable delay between changing the tuner, and then
> seeing it in mplayer
>
> http://zaf.geek.nz/projects/mythtv/channels.php
> has a list of channel ids if you need them.
Thanks but they were for Auckland. We are in Christchurch and they are all
different

> The channels ids then get used in mythtv-setup, but you should be
> able to suss that out at the right time.

Thanks again.
Tuning is working fine now.