I don't want to spend a whole heap, they seem expensive.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: DVB-S [ In reply to ]
On 12/2/05, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> What are people using for DVB-S cards, and how much are they paying?

TechniSat SkyStar 2. A friend and I bought one each from German. Total
for two cards was 80 Euro. Shipping was another 35 Euro. Total NZD
cost was about $100 for each of us.

> 1. free tv1/2/maori off the Sky Satellite

Yes - Optus B1. Sky broadcast these channels unencrypted and TVNZ also
broadcast TV1 and TV2.

> 2. other stations - perhaps off other satellites

TVNZ's feed includes NASA TV, some German channel, and their own
widescreen test channel. I haven't looked at other satellites. I think
that makes the whole setup a fair bit more complex - you need either a
movable dish or multiple dishes.

> 3. EPG data.

It's great for that.

> I don't want to spend a whole heap, they seem expensive.

Only if you buy locally or need to buy a dish. As I said about $100
got me set up.

Steve

Re: DVB-S [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 15:08 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
> What are people using for DVB-S cards, and how much are they paying?

I've bought a couple of DVB-S cards from www.dvbshop.net. They're in
Germany, but the shipping wasn't too bad.

--
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration
Re: DVB-S [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 15:17:57 +1300
Steve Hodge wrote:

> TechniSat SkyStar 2. A friend and I bought one each from German. Total
> for two cards was 80 Euro. Shipping was another 35 Euro. Total NZD
> cost was about $100 for each of us.

OK, I guess this is the one http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php?cPath=1_10&products_id=319

Any info on whether the remote works with LIRC?

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: DVB-S [ In reply to ]
On 12/2/05, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> Steve Hodge wrote:
> > TechniSat SkyStar 2. A friend and I bought one each from German. Total
> > for two cards was 80 Euro. Shipping was another 35 Euro. Total NZD
> > cost was about $100 for each of us.
>
> OK, I guess this is the one http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php?cPath=1_10&products_id=319

That's the one.

> Any info on whether the remote works with LIRC?

It should. The windows software uses WinLirc. However my homebuilt
receiver wouldn't receiver anything from the remote - I suspect they
use different wavelengths of light. The receiver dongle that comes
with the card appears to be a standard Lirc receiver (i.e. same
circuit as the homebuilt one), though I didn't open it up to look. I
haven't tried using that receiver yet, partly because Lirc
transmitting is rather vital to me and I don't want to break it,
partly because I'm a bit dubious about the value of an IR receiver
plugged into the back of the box, and partly because I just haven't
got round to it.

Steve

Re: DVB-S [ In reply to ]
> On 12/2/05, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
>> Steve Hodge wrote:
>> > TechniSat SkyStar 2. A friend and I bought one each from German. Total
>> > for two cards was 80 Euro. Shipping was another 35 Euro. Total NZD
>> > cost was about $100 for each of us.
>>
>> OK, I guess this is the one
>> http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php?cPath=1_10&products_id=319
>
> That's the one.

So how does one get epg data through a dvb card? Is it
better/worse/different to the online epg guides?

Re: DVB-S [ In reply to ]
On 12/2/05, criggie@criggie.dyndns.org <criggie@criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:
> So how does one get epg data through a dvb card? Is it
> better/worse/different to the online epg guides?

Better than any I've seen bar hairy.geek.nz's which is just a dump of
the DVB-S EPG feed.

Basically the DVB standard contains specifications for sending EPG
data. This is how the Sky Digital boxes get their data. With a DVB-S
card you can tune to the same frequencies and grab the feed. So the
quality is exactly the same (in terms of data) as Sky Digital has.

TVNZ's feed only has EPG data for TV1 and 2, they're not sending data
for NASA TV or their widescreen channel.

Steve

Re: DVB-S [ In reply to ]
on 2/12/2005 4:44 p.m. Nick Rout wrote:
> I guess this is the one
> http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php?cPath=1_10&products_id=319

This card seems to be the way to go from all accounts - anyone
interested in a bulk buy and sharing shipping costs?

cheers
Howard

Re: DVB-S [ In reply to ]
> on 2/12/2005 4:44 p.m. Nick Rout wrote:
>> I guess this is the one
> > http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php?cPath=1_10&products_id=319
>
> This card seems to be the way to go from all accounts - anyone
> interested in a bulk buy and sharing shipping costs?

I might be tempted - I wonder if the VAT will cover some/most of the
shipping - won't have to pay that as we're outside the EU - its 15% as I
recall in Germany.

Christmas is coming after all!

BTW - my 1st post. Greetings folks!

Running a Gentoo powered SP13000 Epia diskless to a 2800XP+ powered server
(also on Gentoo). Currently on 0.4 IVTV drivers for a pvr-150mce, Ivor
Hewitts Via snapshot of the via driver patched into xorg-6.8.99.15-r4 and
SVN[7738] of Mythtv (pre-LiveTV changes).

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks

Re: DVB-S [ In reply to ]
Quoting Robin Gilks <g8ecj@gilks.org>:

> > on 2/12/2005 4:44 p.m. Nick Rout wrote:
> >> I guess this is the one
> > > http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php?cPath=1_10&products_id=319
> >
> > This card seems to be the way to go from all accounts - anyone
> > interested in a bulk buy and sharing shipping costs?
> >

> I might be tempted - I wonder if the VAT will cover some/most of the
> shipping - won't have to pay that as we're outside the EU - its 15% as
> I recall in Germany.

Have they resovled the issues of co-habitation with IVTV and the DVB drivers?
My understanding was that the tuner module that works with IVTV would not work
with DVB cards, and vice versa.

I could also be tempted, but only if the cards work with the sub $100 dishes
you can get on Trademe. I don't already have a Sky dish.

Duncan