Mailing List Archive

So what hardware/software is everyone using?
I've been prototyping a MythTV Box but I'm still waiting on the right
hardware be readily available in NZ as i'm after a tightly integrated
solution. Looking to build this in late Jan.

Hardware
-----------

Capture - Hauppauge PVR 150 MCE - primary capture - might upgrade to a
PVR 500 for dual tuners.
Capture - SAA7134 analog capture card - backup source.
Capture - DVB-T Card - optional but hopefully test transmissions in
Auckland will go live.

Motherboard - After a Socket 939 board with integrated digital audio,
raid, and TV out including Component, SVideo and DVI - Considering ASUS
A8N-VM CSM
CPU - Ideally a Socket 939 Sempron to keep price down, but I might have
to use a full Athlon 64
Ram - 512Mb with as little as I need dedicated to the onboard video.

Remote - Existing Universal Remote.

Software
----------
Built a rough prototype using a recent alpha of knoppmyth and managed to
get the recent ivtv patches working so the PVR 150 could capture. Works
really well. Also did the tweaks to get the tv guide up and running for
analog stations in auckland.

For the prod system i'd like to use a clean debian or ubuntu build with
as much off the shelf MythTv as possible.

So what is everyone else up to then?

Steve

Re: So what hardware/software is everyone using? [ In reply to ]
I'm using:
Capture - DSE XH6594 video capture card (for Sky Digital) - this is a
rebadged Avermedia EZCapture
Capture - An SAA7134 capture card (can't remember which one) for FTA
analog broadcasts
Capture - TechniSat SkyStar 2 TV DVB-S capture card for unencrypted
satelite broadcasts (using the Sky Digital dish so just TV1, TV2,
Maori, and NASA TV).

Motherboard - Asus A7N8X
CPU - Sempron 3000+. Actually a 2600+ I think, but overclocked via FSB
to 2GHz - has been perfectly stable.
RAM - 256MB. Haven't found a use for more.
Sound - DSE XH7847 - 6 channel PCI sound card. I need two audio
capture devices and this one comes with the S/PDIF bracket so I can
output to my AV receiver. The motherboard also has S/PDIF out but I
don't have the bracket/adapter.

Remote - existing universal remote via homebuilt Lirc receiver. This
seems to have lost reliability over time - it's very unreliable now. I
mainly use a BTC 9019URF keyboard which is great. It's got a joystick
which works with MythTV and MAME, and can be used in mouse mode if
necessary.

> Capture - DVB-T Card - optional but hopefully test transmissions in
> Auckland will go live.

What will be offered? And when? I recommend DVB-S if you've got Sky
Digital. As well as the great quality on TV1 and 2, you can grab the
Sky EPG data this way.

> Software

I'm using Gentoo. MythTV 18.1 (standard Gentoo ebuild).

Steve

Re: So what hardware/software is everyone using? [ In reply to ]
My goal was to have a small, quiet system. Instead of the massively
powerful 64-bit systems some people are using, I have a Via mini-ITX board
with a fanless CPU. I was originally hoping to not use a hard drive in the
system, but I think that is a bit ambitious for now. Even with the hard
drive (the quietest one available at the time) and a small case fan to keep
it cool, it's still essentially silent. I probably won't bother trying to
eliminate the hard drive and get a net or compact flash boot
working. There's no DVD or CD drive in the system, so no KnoppMyth.

I don't know anything about the DVB cards. Are they just good for getting
program listings, or is it possible to get a Sky decoder add-on for them to
capture programming as well?

- Dagan

Re: So what hardware/software is everyone using? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 13:22 +1300, Steven Ellis wrote:

> So what is everyone else up to then?

Posted some details before, but specifically:

Capture:
- TechniSat SkyStar 2 DVB-S for digital FTA broadcast

Output:
- Nvidia GeForceFX 5200. Not ideal, possibly replace with a 6xxx board,
or replace TV with one capable of HDMI/DVI.

Board/CPU/etc:
- Gigabyte GA-7VRXP .. old board I had spare
- Althon XP 2400+
- 256M of RAM
- Cheap DSE 6-channel sound card. Only using optical SPDIF out for
PCM/AC3/DTS to HT receiver
- Silverstone LC16M case

OS/Software:
- Debian "sarge"
- MythTV 0.17 .. must upgrade at some point but holding off for 0.19 or
0.20, whenever the big UI merge happens.

Piccy of the setup (w/the receiver) at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/twodave/60310687/

--
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration
Re: So what hardware/software is everyone using? [ In reply to ]
>So what is everyone else up to then?

FE/BE machine
-----------
Capture
Hauppauge PVR-350
Hauppauge PVR-150MCE
Only FTA as I've yet to get the IR Blaster working with Sky Digital.

Output
Nvidia FeForceFX 5700 - composite video out til TV gets upgraded.
Replaced fan with Coolermaster VGA cooler.

CPU/MB
Athlon64 3200+
GigaByte K8NS Ultra939
Using onboard audio
3 x SATA drives (Mix of brands and sizes. 1 for Myth, 1 for
Archives and 1 for eveything else)
Ahanix MCE601 case

Running Fedora Core 4 (64bit) with MythTV 0.18.1 via yum and Jarod's guide.

FE
--
Xbox with XBMC and mythtvxbmc python scripts in lounge and bedroom.

Also have MythTV installed on my Powermac G5 with OS X 10.4.

- Wade