Mailing List Archive

YAI
I have a Athlon XP2500 running Ubuntu 5.1 with 2 SAA7134 based cards.
If people are desperate for a grabber I have one that I wrote in pascal
(yes, pascal)
There's hope for me yet as I'm learning Python at the moment...

If anyone can help me with getting LIRC (with a homebrew rx/tx) to talk
to a Sky digital box that would be cool. irrecord either comes up with
the message something went wrong or irsend doesn't make the lights flash
on the Sky box. LIRC works fine as a decoder with other remotes.
One thing I have noted about the Sky remote is that its IR carrier is
40khz and LIRCs send is 38khz.
Maybe something to do with the sky decoders PLL not being able to lock
to 38khz?

I've basically given up on LIRC for sending IR and starting a 8051
microcontroller based learning remote.

Cheers
Graeme

MailScanner Supplied by ITS-HelpDesk.
ext 4001 or email helpdesk@irl.cri.nz--

RE: YAI [ In reply to ]
>If anyone can help me with getting LIRC (with a homebrew rx/tx) to talk
to a Sky digital box that would be cool.

Which Sky digital box have you got? Mine is Motorola, perhaps someone else
out there has the same box and can just send you the lirc file needed. Once
you have the lirc file, you shouldn't need the lirc receive functionality
for the Sky box.

>Maybe something to do with the sky decoders PLL not being able to lock to
38khz?

I know that Sky analogue remote was something similar, so I couldn't use
lirc for this.

> I've basically given up on LIRC for sending IR and starting a 8051
microcontroller based learning remote.

I ended up wiring the parallel port to my sky remote. I would then raise a
pin on the parallel port to mimic a button press on the remote. Not really
having an electronics background this took me a fair bit of research to do
this. I only needed a few channels on the remote so the parallel port was
good enough for me.

Regards,
Gary Te Young

@Home Downunder Ltd
www.athomedownunder.com

Re: YAI [ In reply to ]
Quoting Graeme Woollett <g.woollett@irl.cri.nz>:

> If anyone can help me with getting LIRC (with a homebrew rx/tx) to talk
> to a Sky digital box that would be cool. irrecord either comes up with
> the message something went wrong or irsend doesn't make the lights flash
> on the Sky box. LIRC works fine as a decoder with other remotes.

This isn't helpful to you, but TelstraClear/Saturn TV use Motorola/GI set top
boxes with use the DCT2000 remote codes. Anyone using Saturn cable TV in
Wellington or Chch should be able to use this...

Have you tried irsend-ing to another device to confirm the sender works?
Despite following the wiring diagram, I ended up having to switch the polarity
of the diode in the transmitter - it was flashing invertedly!

If you have a video camera, pointing the IR-led at it should tell you if
anything's happening when you IRSEND.

Duncan

Re: YAI [ In reply to ]
I have a Sky installer mate that can give me surplus sky remotes to hack.
On balance its quicker to butcher a remote and glue some 4066 switch
ic's to it and use an microcontroller to talk to the PC. If anyone
wants some let me know

Re: YAI [ In reply to ]
Wade Maxfield wrote:

> This sounds most interesting. So that would connect via a serial
> port, and then you'd use some perl script to write to the serial port?

Yep

Re: YAI [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:35:09 +1300
Graeme Woollett wrote:

> I have a Sky installer mate that can give me surplus sky remotes to hack.
> On balance its quicker to butcher a remote and glue some 4066 switch
> ic's to it and use an microcontroller to talk to the PC. If anyone
> wants some let me know

Yes please!! I'll tell yopu the model tonight when I am at home!

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: YAI [ In reply to ]
>Wade Maxfield wrote:
>
>>This sounds most interesting. So that would connect via a serial
>>port, and then you'd use some perl script to write to the serial
>>port?
>
>Yep

Well sign me up.

Are you offering just the remote, or the modified version of it? And
lastly where do I send the dosh?

- Wade

Re: YAI [ In reply to ]
Wade Maxfield wrote:

> Well sign me up.
>
> Are you offering just the remote, or the modified version of it? And
> lastly where do I send the dosh?
>
> - Wade

The prototype that I'm designing uses the IR encoder chip out of the sky
remote and 4066 ic's with a 89C2051 microcontroller to "press" the
buttons from the RS232. I have access to a SMT desoldering station for
pulling the components fro the remote board.
Are there any other buttons that need to be "pressed" other than the
number keys?

I have my own price in mind. Given the cost of the micro, PCB, assembly
time,testing and original remote what price you be prepared to pay? :-)

Re: YAI [ In reply to ]
>Wade Maxfield wrote:
>
>>Well sign me up.
>>
>>Are you offering just the remote, or the modified version of it?
>>And lastly where do I send the dosh?
>>
>> - Wade
>
>The prototype that I'm designing uses the IR encoder chip out of the
>sky remote and 4066 ic's with a 89C2051 microcontroller to "press"
>the buttons from the RS232. I have access to a SMT desoldering
>station for pulling the components fro the remote board.
>Are there any other buttons that need to be "pressed" other than the
>number keys?

The select button can help speed up changing channels. Can't think of
any others.

>I have my own price in mind. Given the cost of the micro, PCB,
>assembly time,testing and original remote what price you be prepared
>to pay? :-)

Ahh the $64k question. Without knowing the cost of a replacement
remote or the actual time to do all the steps, I'd say somewhere
around $70...

Am I close?

- Wade

Re: YAI [ In reply to ]
Wade Maxfield wrote:

> Ahh the $64k question. Without knowing the cost of a replacement
> remote or the actual time to do all the steps, I'd say somewhere
> around $70...
>
> Am I close?

That's in the ball park, I'll have to properly cost the parts. I' m not
wanting to rip people off, I want just enough of a profit to make it
worthwhile doing.
I let you know when I have the prototype working