Mailing List Archive

New features now in CVS.
Thought I'd update people on what's been going on, development-wise, for those
who aren't paying attention to the commits list.

- A new OSD theme just got committed to CVS -- if you have any errors while
doing a cvs update, just rm your existing themes/ subdir and retry it.
Should work.. The new theme's a little more subdued than the blue aqua-esque
one, and it's now the default. The default font also changed, so if you have
a complete copy of settings.txt in your ~/.mythtv/ directory, you probably
should at least remove the OSDFont setting from it.

- I merged in Erik Arendse's EPG mysql query optimization patch. This should
help the speed of the program guide considerably, especially when the mysql
server isn't on the local machine.

- Programs now generate a pre-calculated seektable while they get recorded.
This makes seeking _much_ faster, especially when running things over a
network. There's also a setting for 'ExactSeeking' in the config file, which
just tells it to seek to the nearest keyframe, instead of going to the exact
frame requested. Also yields a nice little speedup.

These next two things only work on files with a seektable:

- If you hit space or enter while playing back a recording, it will save a
'bookmark' of where you are in the program. Next time you play the program
back, it'll seek automatically to that position, and clear the bookmark.

- Hitting the 'e' key while playing back a recording enters edit mode. I've
got a writeup, with links to screenshots and everything, on the website. I'm
really quite happy with how its working, though there's one or two things
more to do to the UI. No re-encoding the files yet to actually delete
things, but playback with automatic fast-forwards over the deleted sections
works great.

Anyway, I'm thinking _maybe_ a 0.7 release this weekend, if things are stable
now.

Isaac
RE: New features now in CVS. [ In reply to ]
Re: New features now in CVS. [ In reply to ]
> These next two things only work on files with a seektable:
>
> - If you hit space or enter while playing back a recording, it will save a
> 'bookmark' of where you are in the program. Next time you play the program
> back, it'll seek automatically to that position, and clear the bookmark.

This is pretty neat. But are you sure it works for all size files? I
swear it's only working for half-hour shows!

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
Linux Printing Website and HOWTO: http://www.linuxprinting.org/
Re: New features now in CVS. [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 06 November 2002 12:28 pm, Grant Taylor wrote:
> > These next two things only work on files with a seektable:
> >
> > - If you hit space or enter while playing back a recording, it will save
> > a 'bookmark' of where you are in the program. Next time you play the
> > program back, it'll seek automatically to that position, and clear the
> > bookmark.
>
> This is pretty neat. But are you sure it works for all size files? I
> swear it's only working for half-hour shows!

Happen to have done any editing on the show that the bookmarks aren't working
for? I noticed a bug where an edited show would completely ignore a bookmark
before I went to bed last night.. Also, seeking's currently semi-broken with
edited shows. I'm planning on fixing both of those tonight.

Isaac
Re: New features now in CVS. [ In reply to ]
>> swear it's only working for half-hour shows!

> Happen to have done any editing on the show that the bookmarks
> aren't working

Nope. It's somewhat clear that it isn't even making the mark,
nevermind the seeking. When I hit space for these, no "Posistion
Saved" appears. This matches the behavior for older files, but I'm
pretty sure I tried with new files.

I'll update and try it out again this evening.

Re: New features now in CVS. [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 06 November 2002 01:40 pm, Grant Taylor wrote:
> >> swear it's only working for half-hour shows!
> >
> > Happen to have done any editing on the show that the bookmarks
> > aren't working
>
> Nope. It's somewhat clear that it isn't even making the mark,
> nevermind the seeking. When I hit space for these, no "Posistion
> Saved" appears. This matches the behavior for older files, but I'm
> pretty sure I tried with new files.
>
> I'll update and try it out again this evening.

Well, if it doesn't pop up the 'Position Saved' text, and it doesn't complain
about 'Unable to open bookmark file' on the console, then the recording
doesn't have a seek table, or something was wrong with the saved seek table.

I can pretty easily enable the bookmarks for the non-seektable files, its just
that going to the bookmark is going to be rather slow, as it'll have to read
through most of the file.

Isaac
Re: New features now in CVS. [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 06 November 2002 02:11 am, Robert Kulagowski wrote:

> Two things.
>
> 1) Yow! Isaac, you are one of the most prolific coders I've ever
> seen. Do you ever sleep?

Yeah =) All that really wasn't very much code, though. Maybe a thousand or
two lines of new stuff, mainly for the edit mode. All very simplistic, and
that was about a week's worth of changes, all told.

> 2) Why "myth"?

Last line of the first paragraph of the background section on the website -
"Basically, I want the mythical convergence box..." Comes from that, really.

Isaac