Hi Peter,

Should web setup channel scanning work with an External Recorder? The
"Start Scan" button is greyed out.

I am in the process of moving into a new house which is taking all of my
time, but if that code has not been written yet, I will try to allocate
some time to work on it.

Thanks,

John
Re: web based setup - External Recorder [ In reply to ]
On 9/27/23 22:50, John P Poet wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Should web setup channel scanning work with an External Recorder? The
> "Start Scan" button is greyed out.
>
> I am in the process of moving into a new house which is taking all of
> my time, but if that code has not been written yet, I will try to
> allocate some time to work on it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Hi John

If it works with mythtv-setup then it should work with web setup.

I use external recorders but I never used channel scan with them, so it
never occurred to me that it was possible to do a channel scan.

My external recorder gets channels using mythfilldatabase.

Thanks for letting me know. I will take a look at it and see if I can
add it.

Peter

Re: web based setup - External Recorder [ In reply to ]
On 9/28/23 08:25, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 9/27/23 22:50, John P Poet wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Should web setup channel scanning work with an External Recorder? The
>> "Start Scan" button is greyed out.
>>
>> I am in the process of moving into a new house which is taking all of
>> my time, but if that code has not been written yet, I will try to
>> allocate some time to work on it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John
>>

> Hi John
>
> If it works with mythtv-setup then it should work with web setup.
>
> I use external recorders but I never used channel scan with them, so
> it never occurred to me that it was possible to do a channel scan.
>
> My external recorder gets channels using mythfilldatabase.
>
> Thanks for letting me know. I will take a look at it and see if I can
> add it.
>
> Peter

Actually, it works. If you hit Save at the bottom of the screen, the
Start Scan button is enabled. Then you can start the scan and it works.
There seems to be a bug in determining if changes have to be saved. If
it thinks changes have to be saved it disables the start save button.
Also at the end of a successful scan of an external tuner it says
"Failed to find any new channels! ". That is a wrong message.

The action of selecting the scan type may be flagging the page as dirty
and causing the button to be disabled.

I will make some changes. Maybe remove the check for unsaved changes, or
automatically save before starting the scan, or prompt with a message
asking user to save. Also I will look at the incorrect message at the end.

Peter

Re: web based setup - External Recorder [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 12:27?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/28/23 08:25, Peter Bennett wrote:
> >
> > On 9/27/23 22:50, John P Poet wrote:
> >> Hi Peter,
> >>
> >> Should web setup channel scanning work with an External Recorder? The
> >> "Start Scan" button is greyed out.
> >>
> >> I am in the process of moving into a new house which is taking all of
> >> my time, but if that code has not been written yet, I will try to
> >> allocate some time to work on it.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> John
> >>

> > Hi John
> >
> > If it works with mythtv-setup then it should work with web setup.
> >
> > I use external recorders but I never used channel scan with them, so
> > it never occurred to me that it was possible to do a channel scan.
> >
> > My external recorder gets channels using mythfilldatabase.
> >
> > Thanks for letting me know. I will take a look at it and see if I can
> > add it.
> >
> > Peter
> >
> Actually, it works. If you hit Save at the bottom of the screen, the
> Start Scan button is enabled. Then you can start the scan and it works.
> There seems to be a bug in determining if changes have to be saved. If
> it thinks changes have to be saved it disables the start save button.
> Also at the end of a successful scan of an external tuner it says
> "Failed to find any new channels! ". That is a wrong message.
>
> The action of selecting the scan type may be flagging the page as dirty
> and causing the button to be disabled.
>
> I will make some changes. Maybe remove the check for unsaved changes, or
> automatically save before starting the scan, or prompt with a message
> asking user to save. Also I will look at the incorrect message at the end.
>
> Peter

Thank you Peter!

John
Re: web based setup - External Recorder [ In reply to ]
On 9/28/23 17:01, John P Poet wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 12:27?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On 9/28/23 08:25, Peter Bennett wrote:
> >
> > On 9/27/23 22:50, John P Poet wrote:
> >> Hi Peter,
> >>
> >> Should web setup channel scanning work with an External
> Recorder? The
> >> "Start Scan" button is greyed out.
> >>
> >> I am in the process of moving into a new house which is taking
> all of
> >> my time, but if that code has not been written yet, I will try to
> >> allocate some time to work on it.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> John
> >>

> > Hi John
> >
> > If it works with mythtv-setup then it should work with web setup.
> >
> > I use external recorders but I never used channel scan with
> them, so
> > it never occurred to me that it was possible to do a channel scan.
> >
> > My external recorder gets channels using mythfilldatabase.
> >
> > Thanks for letting me know. I will take a look at it and see if
> I can
> > add it.
> >
> > Peter
> >
> Actually, it works. If you hit Save at the bottom of the screen, the
> Start Scan button is enabled. Then you can start the scan and it
> works.
> There seems to be a bug in determining if changes have to be
> saved. If
> it thinks changes have to be saved it disables the start save button.
> Also at the end of a successful scan of an external tuner it says
> "Failed to find any new channels! ". That is a wrong message.
>
> The action of selecting the scan type may be flagging the page as
> dirty
> and causing the button to be disabled.
>
> I will make some changes. Maybe remove the check for unsaved
> changes, or
> automatically save before starting the scan, or prompt with a message
> asking user to save. Also I will look at the incorrect message at
> the end.
>
> Peter
>

> Thank you Peter!
>
> John

Hi John

I have committed the fixes. You can try it again.

- Allow scanning to start even if page needs to be saved. The code will
  automatically save the page before the scan is started.
- Fix error message about dirty flag being changed after it was checked.

- Fix "Failed to find any new channels!" that displayed after an import
  even if it was successful.

Peter
Re: web based setup - External Recorder [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Oct 1, 2023 at 12:27?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/28/23 17:01, John P Poet wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 12:27?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > Hi John
>> >
>> > If it works with mythtv-setup then it should work with web setup.
>> >
>> > I use external recorders but I never used channel scan with them, so
>> > it never occurred to me that it was possible to do a channel scan.
>> >
>> > My external recorder gets channels using mythfilldatabase.
>> >
>> > Thanks for letting me know. I will take a look at it and see if I can
>> > add it.
>> >
>> > Peter
>> >
>> Actually, it works. If you hit Save at the bottom of the screen, the
>> Start Scan button is enabled. Then you can start the scan and it works.
>> There seems to be a bug in determining if changes have to be saved. If
>> it thinks changes have to be saved it disables the start save button.
>> Also at the end of a successful scan of an external tuner it says
>> "Failed to find any new channels! ". That is a wrong message.
>>
>> The action of selecting the scan type may be flagging the page as dirty
>> and causing the button to be disabled.
>>
>> I will make some changes. Maybe remove the check for unsaved changes, or
>> automatically save before starting the scan, or prompt with a message
>> asking user to save. Also I will look at the incorrect message at the end.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Thank you Peter!
>
> John
>
> Hi John
>
> I have committed the fixes. You can try it again.
>
> - Allow scanning to start even if page needs to be saved. The code will
> automatically save the page before the scan is started.
> - Fix error message about dirty flag being changed after it was checked.
>
> - Fix "Failed to find any new channels!" that displayed after an import
> even if it was successful.
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately it still does not work for me. I notice that it is not just
with the External Recorder but also DVB. It is probably all of them, but
those are the only two types I am currently using.

Note that these are not brand new configurations, but ones that I have been
using for awhile. No matter what options I try to change on the "Input
Connections" dialog, the "Start Scan" button is disabled. I have tried both
Firefox and Chrome with the same result.

Is it relevant that the "Scan Type" selection box has a red border?

Since this is apparently not something you can reproduce, I will have to
try and figure out under what conditions the "Start Scan" button is
disabled. Using mythtv-setup works for now, so this will probably have to
wait until I am settled into my house.

Thanks,

John
Re: web based setup - External Recorder [ In reply to ]
On 10/3/23 20:28, John P Poet wrote:
> [...]
>
> Peter
>

> Hi Peter,
>
> Unfortunately it still does not work for me. I notice that it is not
> just with the External Recorder but also DVB. It is probably all of
> them, but those are the only two types I am currently using.
>
> Note that these are not brand new configurations, but ones that I have
> been using for awhile. No matter what options I try to change on the
> "Input Connections" dialog, the "Start Scan" button is disabled. I
> have tried both Firefox and Chrome with the same result.
>
> Is it relevant that the "Scan Type" selection box has a red border?
>
> Since this is apparently not something you can reproduce, I will have
> to try and figure out under what conditions the "Start Scan" button is
> disabled. Using mythtv-setup works for now, so this will probably have
> to wait until I am settled into my house.

First make sure you clicked "Enable Updates" at the top of the screen.
Until that is done, all updates are disabled including scan.

In the latest code the only times that start scan is disabled are if one
of these is true:

- Scheduling is enabled (i.e. you need to click "enable updates")
- A scan is already running, in which case you will see the status below
- No video source was selected

Peter
Re: web based setup - External Recorder [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 4, 2023 at 7:00?AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/3/23 20:28, John P Poet wrote:
>
> On Sun, Oct 1, 2023 at 12:27?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 9/28/23 17:01, John P Poet wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 12:27?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Actually, it works. If you hit Save at the bottom of the screen, the
>>> Start Scan button is enabled. Then you can start the scan and it works.
>>> There seems to be a bug in determining if changes have to be saved. If
>>> it thinks changes have to be saved it disables the start save button.
>>> Also at the end of a successful scan of an external tuner it says
>>> "Failed to find any new channels! ". That is a wrong message.
>>>
>>> The action of selecting the scan type may be flagging the page as dirty
>>> and causing the button to be disabled.
>>>
>>> I will make some changes. Maybe remove the check for unsaved changes, or
>>> automatically save before starting the scan, or prompt with a message
>>> asking user to save. Also I will look at the incorrect message at the
>>> end.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> Thank you Peter!
>>
>> John
>>
>> Hi John
>>
>> I have committed the fixes. You can try it again.
>>
>> - Allow scanning to start even if page needs to be saved. The code will
>> automatically save the page before the scan is started.
>> - Fix error message about dirty flag being changed after it was checked.
>>
>> - Fix "Failed to find any new channels!" that displayed after an import
>> even if it was successful.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Hi Peter,
>
> Unfortunately it still does not work for me. I notice that it is not just
> with the External Recorder but also DVB. It is probably all of them, but
> those are the only two types I am currently using.
>
> Note that these are not brand new configurations, but ones that I have
> been using for awhile. No matter what options I try to change on the "Input
> Connections" dialog, the "Start Scan" button is disabled. I have tried both
> Firefox and Chrome with the same result.
>
> Is it relevant that the "Scan Type" selection box has a red border?
>
> Since this is apparently not something you can reproduce, I will have to
> try and figure out under what conditions the "Start Scan" button is
> disabled. Using mythtv-setup works for now, so this will probably have to
> wait until I am settled into my house.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> First make sure you clicked "Enable Updates" at the top of the screen.
> Until that is done, all updates are disabled including scan.
>
> In the latest code the only times that start scan is disabled are if one
> of these is true:
>
> - Scheduling is enabled (i.e. you need to click "enable updates")
> - A scan is already running, in which case you will see the status below
> - No video source was selected
>
> Peter

Ah! Sorry! I was not clicking on the "Enable Updates" button. It works
perfectly.

Thank you,

John