Mailing List Archive

New failure in rpm packaging of devel/http
Hi: I'm using Gary's packaging script, which worked fine yesterday.
After today's commit it failed in packaging the docs. Only the README
file is present, while the specfile expects UPGRADING, AUTHORS, COPYING
and more...

I haven't tried master but I expect that to have the same problem.

John P
Re: New failure in rpm packaging of devel/http [ In reply to ]
On 26/10/2021 14:07, John Pilkington wrote:

> Hi: I'm using Gary's packaging script, which worked fine yesterday.
> After today's commit it failed in packaging the docs.  Only the README
> file is present, while the specfile expects UPGRADING, AUTHORS,
> COPYING and more...
>
> I haven't tried master but I expect that to have the same problem.
>
> John P

The Ubuntu master LaunchPad builds are also failing due to the missing
files.

It was caused by some commits to clean up some old stuff that went a
little too far. We can either revert those commits or keep them as is
and we will have to update our builds as a appropriate?

One concern is the keys.txt file is probably referenced a lot in the
docs, wiki, forum, email list etc?

Paul H.

Re: New failure in rpm packaging of devel/http [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 9:54 PM Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:

> It was caused by some commits to clean up some old stuff that went a
> little too far. We can either revert those commits or keep them as is
> and we will have to update our builds as a appropriate?

I am certainly not a decider, but I tend to think that
(at least most of) the clean up is reasonable (and
some, perhaps, long overdue), and packaging will
need to adapt, but I would have preferred it to have
been coordinated better with explicit notification to
various packaging groups (Ubuntu and RPMFusion
come to mind), just as explicit changes to the
buildbot worker requirements and github workflow
CI requirements have been explicitly announced
(if not in advance, at least at the time of the commit,
although some announcements may have only been
on irc which I am currently not watching closely).

Anyway, when my round tuit arrives (currently on
backorder) I'll look at my own personal packaging.
Re: New failure in rpm packaging of devel/http [ In reply to ]
On 26/10/2021 22:52, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 26/10/2021 14:07, John Pilkington wrote:
>
>> Hi: I'm using Gary's packaging script, which worked fine yesterday.
>> After today's commit it failed in packaging the docs.  Only the README
>> file is present, while the specfile expects UPGRADING, AUTHORS,
>> COPYING and more...
>>
>> I haven't tried master but I expect that to have the same problem.
>>
>> John P
>>

> The Ubuntu master LaunchPad builds are also failing due to the missing
> files.
>

> It was caused by some commits to clean up some old stuff that went a
> little too far. We can either revert those commits or keep them as is
> and we will have to update our builds as a appropriate?
>

> One concern is the keys.txt file is probably referenced a lot in the
> docs, wiki, forum, email list etc?

The keys.txt file was probably a step too far, the rest of the changes
were valid and long overdue

Regards
Stuart
Re: New failure in rpm packaging of devel/http [ In reply to ]
On 27/10/2021 09:29, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On 26/10/2021 22:52, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> On 26/10/2021 14:07, John Pilkington wrote:
>>
>>> Hi: I'm using Gary's packaging script, which worked fine yesterday.
>>> After today's commit it failed in packaging the docs.  Only the
>>> README file is present, while the specfile expects UPGRADING,
>>> AUTHORS, COPYING and more...
>>>
>>> I haven't tried master but I expect that to have the same problem.
>>>
>>> John P
>>>

>> The Ubuntu master LaunchPad builds are also failing due to the missing
>> files.
>>

>> It was caused by some commits to clean up some old stuff that went a
>> little too far. We can either revert those commits or keep them as is
>> and we will have to update our builds as a appropriate?
>>

>> One concern is the keys.txt file is probably referenced a lot in the
>> docs, wiki, forum, email list etc?
>>

> The keys.txt file was probably a step too far, the rest of the changes
> were valid and long overdue

I tried again after removing UPGRADING and FAQ frrom the specfile and
changing COPYING to LICENSE. Failed again.

The directory for LICENSE has moved, and keys.txt is now keybindings.txt

Re: New failure in rpm packaging of devel/http. Fixed. [ In reply to ]
On 27/10/2021 10:15, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 27/10/2021 09:29, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:

>>> The Ubuntu master LaunchPad builds are also failing due to the
>>> missing files.
>>>

>>> It was caused by some commits to clean up some old stuff that went a
>>> little too far. We can either revert those commits or keep them as is
>>> and we will have to update our builds as a appropriate?
>>>

>>> One concern is the keys.txt file is probably referenced a lot in the
>>> docs, wiki, forum, email list etc?
>>>

>> The keys.txt file was probably a step too far, the rest of the changes
>> were valid and long overdue
>>
>> Regards
>> Stuart

I now have a working build. For builds after that commit, in the docs
stanza of the specfile:

Delete UPGRADING, FAQ, data

Replace COPYING by ../LICENSE and keys.txt by keybindings.txt

HTH

John

Re: New failure in rpm packaging of devel/http. Fixed. [ In reply to ]
Sorry for the surprise.  I'll send a message to this list if I make any
similar changes.  The pull request was
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/398/commits

On 26/10/2021 22:52, Paul Harrison wrote:
> It was caused by some commits to clean up some old stuff that went a
> little too far. We can either revert those commits or keep them as is
> and we will have to update our builds as a appropriate?
>
> One concern is the keys.txt file is probably referenced a lot in the
> docs, wiki, forum, email list etc?
On 27/10/2021 09:29, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> The keys.txt file was probably a step too far, the rest of the changes
> were valid and long overdue

I have updated the few places on the wiki with the new name.  I stand by
the renaming to a clearer name.  If you are looking for keys.txt but see
keybindings.txt, I feel it is reasonable to assume that you would, if
not assume outright that is the file you are looking for, at least open
it to check.

On 10/27/21 12:40 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> I now have a working build.  For builds after that commit, in the docs
> stanza of the specfile:
>
> Delete UPGRADING, FAQ, data
>
> Replace COPYING by ../LICENSE and keys.txt by keybindings.txt

The checksums directory was also removed.

I'll see if I can enable building the plugins without installing mythtv
first and using the headers in their current state in the working tree.
This will probably include moving the mythplugins directory into the
mythtv directory and then moving everything from the mythtv directory
into the root directory.

Regards,

Scott
Re: New failure in rpm packaging of devel/http. Fixed. [ In reply to ]
On 27/10/2021 21:36, Scott Theisen wrote:

> I'll see if I can enable building the plugins without installing mythtv
> first and using the headers in their current state in the working tree.
> This will probably include moving the mythplugins directory into the
> mythtv directory and then moving everything from the mythtv directory
> into the root directory.

What problem is that ^^^ trying to solve???

Regards
Stuart
Re: New failure in rpm packaging of devel/http. Fixed. [ In reply to ]
On 10/31/21 5:19 PM, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On 27/10/2021 21:36, Scott Theisen wrote:
>

>> I'll see if I can enable building the plugins without installing
>> mythtv first and using the headers in their current state in the
>> working tree. This will probably include moving the mythplugins
>> directory into the mythtv directory and then moving everything from
>> the mythtv directory into the root directory.
>>

> What problem is that ^^^ trying to solve???
>

> Regards
> Stuart
It is annoying (to me, because I keep forgetting you need to make
install before building the plugins).  It is also an extra unnecessary
step to install the main components first.  (I think, I'm not sure if
this would be problematic regarding linking, but I don't think it would
be because the programs are linked to the libraries in the git repository.)

Regarding moving the directories around, moving mythplugins into mythtv
should (I think) make it easier to build the plugins with the same make
command as the rest of the code.  (I would still require a separate make
install command to install the plugins.  Maybe have "make install
plugins" install the programs and libraries if necessary?)

I would then dump the contents of mythtv into the root directory to
remove an unnecessary, extra level from the directory tree because the
root directory would otherwise be basically empty.

Regards,
Scott