on the screen that would let you scroll through the scores and/or scroll
through automatically?

What about automatic weather lookup?

I really only know how to code with Visual Basic - sure that isn't going
to work. I've got time to learn, though, so what language should I focus
on?

Thanks,

Nate
Re: MythScores / MythOverlay?? [ In reply to ]
I think this would be very cool. You could do configurable sports,
weather, stocks, etc. It shouldn't be very hard to do I wouldn't think.
I'm not sure some of the sites would appreciate being used that way (you
wouldn't be looking/clicking on banner ads), but there's probably some
sort of feed you could get without too much trouble. There are lots of
ticker projects on freshmeat which could probably get you some ideas as to
what sources are available, and what kinds of data you could provide via
a generic/modular ticker interface.

MythTicker. cool.

-jay

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Nathan Ziarek wrote:

> Every time I watch sports scores I think it would be great if FOX would
> keep the scores scrolling across the top...I've also thought that it
> would be even better to be able to bring them up myself, whenever I
> want.
>
> ESPN has generated a page of all the sports scores for any given sport
> (http://sports.espn.go.com/SPORT/scoreboard - replace SPORT with nfl,
> mlb, nba, etc...) I looked through the source, and it doesn't look too
> tough to parse...the question is: would any one want a feature where you
> could press a button on your remote and have a box (like the OSD) appear
> on the screen that would let you scroll through the scores and/or scroll
> through automatically?
>
> What about automatic weather lookup?
>
> I really only know how to code with Visual Basic - sure that isn't going
> to work. I've got time to learn, though, so what language should I focus
> on?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nate

Jay Christner
http://jay.maplenet.net/personal/
Re: MythScores / MythOverlay?? [ In reply to ]
> Every time I watch sports scores I think it would be great if FOX would
> keep the scores scrolling across the top...I've also thought that it
> would be even better to be able to bring them up myself, whenever I
> want.

I don't really like sports, but this is a GREAT idea. I mean, the idea of
the scrolling info bar has been used by all the news shows (if you can
call them "news" shows anymore) and they are cool to get news bits quick,
BUT they get in the way some times. If you could turn on/off the scolling
info bar, and you were able to decide WHAT info goes into the bar...way
cool.

> What about automatic weather lookup?

Yeah. Weather was the first to pop into my mind :) Stock tickers, new
headlines, sports scores, "what's on now" channel listings, show times for
your local movie theaters, etc. This could be cool!

> I really only know how to code with Visual Basic - sure that isn't going
> to work. I've got time to learn, though, so what language should I focus
> on?

C++...it's the alpha...it is the omega....

Great idea!

Jeremy
Re: MythScores / MythOverlay?? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 09:48:53PM -0600, Nathan Ziarek wrote:

> ESPN has generated a page of all the sports scores for any given sport
> (http://sports.espn.go.com/SPORT/scoreboard - replace SPORT with nfl,
> mlb, nba, etc...) I looked through the source, and it doesn't look too
> tough to parse...the question is: would any one want a feature where you
> could press a button on your remote and have a box (like the OSD) appear
> on the screen that would let you scroll through the scores and/or scroll
> through automatically?
>
> What about automatic weather lookup?

You can already do all of this without parsing HTML, using RDF data provided
by various sites. You could even use an existing RDF scroller like the ones
from GNOME or KDE, rather than adding this to myth.

--
- mdz