it isn't labeled. I think.

I know this isn't an "all for Linux help group", but if anyone could
point me to a good resource for my newbie questions, I'd appreciate it.
I've been to LinuxNewbie.com, but it didn't seem to cover this. Keep in
mind that I don't understand a lot of what is going on, so the more
explanation, the better. :)

Nathan Ziarek
http://www.ziarek.com/
Re: hardware problem...?? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 01:52, Nathan Ziarek wrote:
> First off - I am a total Linux newbie.this will be my first Linux
> install ever. Using the How-To docs here I got pretty far.I manged to
> get everything installed (XML::Twig is still being goofy, but it allowed
> me to install XMLTV anyway) and have even opened MythTV Frontend for the
> very first time (it was pretty exciting, really).
>
> The problem I am running into now is that it is telling me that I don't
> have a capture card.I assumed it was going to be the default (silly me),
> but when I went into the hardware manager in RH8, it didn't give it a
> device name (like dev/dsp0) instead just saying N/A. XAWTV works (I
> don't have cable hooked up to the tuner, but if I press my finger
> against it, one station almost comes in ;-), so the card is working, but
> it isn't labeled. I think.
>
> I know this isn't an "all for Linux help group", but if anyone could
> point me to a good resource for my newbie questions, I'd appreciate it.
> I've been to LinuxNewbie.com, but it didn't seem to cover this. Keep in
> mind that I don't understand a lot of what is going on, so the more
> explanation, the better. :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Nathan Ziarek
> http://www.ziarek.com/

Did you run setup from the mythtv/setup directory after you finished the
install? I know it seems obvious but it's an easily forgetten step.

Calvin...
RE: hardware problem...?? [ In reply to ]
The problem isn't setup - I ran that and it asks you for the location
(or name...whatever "dsp/dev0" would be called) and I don't know where
that is. The only place I can think to look is the Hardware Manager and
all it tells me is N/A...I attached the image of it.

Do I have to specify the name of the capture device or does that happen
when it is installed? Where do I find this name?

Nate
RE: hardware problem...?? [ In reply to ]
OK...i ran XAWTV -hwscan and it said that it was getting my video from
dev/video0...that much seems fine. However, what isn't working still is
the sound. I have on board, which I know is a headache for a lot of
people here, but I can't figure out what the dev/ name of it is...I
guess another question is: do I want the device name of the onboard
sound or the sound coming through the tuner card?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Nate
RE: hardware problem...?? [ In reply to ]
This is the error I get when opening MythTV to watch TV...the EPG,
conflict resolution, etc works fine, but locks on me when I click watch
TV...

Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
setting sample rate to 32000 failed
Could not detect audio blocksize
Cannot open DSP '/dev/audio', exiting
VIDIOCSAUDIO: Bad file descriptor

Any help is appreciated,

Nate
RE: hardware problem...?? [ In reply to ]
What does running "ls -la /dev/audio" return?

On 29 Nov 2002 at 12:21, Nathan Ziarek wrote:

> conflict resolution, etc works fine, but locks on me when I click watch
> TV...
>
> Could not detect audio blocksize
> Cannot open DSP '/dev/audio', exiting

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting
RE: hardware problem...?? [ In reply to ]
I browsed through the dev/ folder and found two other audio DSPs

I tried the ls command on all of them:

[root@localhost /]# ls -la /dev/audio
crw------- 1 root root 14, 4 Aug 30 18:31 /dev/audio

[root@localhost /]# ls -la /dev/audio1
crw------- 1 root root 14, 20 Aug 30 18:31 /dev/audio1

[root@localhost /]# ls -la /dev/audioctl
crw------- 1 root root 14, 7 Aug 30 18:31 /dev/audioctl

Thanks for your help,

Nate
Re: hardware problem...?? [ In reply to ]
Nathan Ziarek wrote:
> Cannot open DSP '/dev/audio', exiting
> VIDIOCSAUDIO: Bad file descriptor

"Cannot open" usually means that the user doesn't have
permissions to read or write to the file...

> [root@localhost /]# ls -la /dev/audio
> crw------- 1 root root 14, 4 Aug 30 18:31 /dev/audio

The first few characters say that only the owner "root"
can read and write. As root, try "chmod 666 /dev/audio".
then ls -l should show the permissions "crw-rw-rw-". Run
xawtv again as a regular user. If you still don't get sound,
use a mixer program to unmute and set the volume for "line"
assuming you plugged the external mini-jack into line-in.
Once you get sound from xawtv, use the mixer to leave the
volume where you like and mute "line" then try mythfrontend.

Hope this helps,

-- bjm
Re: hardware problem...?? [ In reply to ]
On Friday 29 November 2002 11:31 pm, Bruce Markey wrote:
> Nathan Ziarek wrote:
> > Cannot open DSP '/dev/audio', exiting
> > VIDIOCSAUDIO: Bad file descriptor
>
> "Cannot open" usually means that the user doesn't have
> permissions to read or write to the file...
>
> > [root@localhost /]# ls -la /dev/audio
> > crw------- 1 root root 14, 4 Aug 30 18:31 /dev/audio
>
> The first few characters say that only the owner "root"
> can read and write. As root, try "chmod 666 /dev/audio".
> then ls -l should show the permissions "crw-rw-rw-". Run
> xawtv again as a regular user. If you still don't get sound,
> use a mixer program to unmute and set the volume for "line"
> assuming you plugged the external mini-jack into line-in.
> Once you get sound from xawtv, use the mixer to leave the
> volume where you like and mute "line" then try mythfrontend.

Other thing is, you shouldn't be using /dev/audio. /dev/dsp is what's needed.

Isaac
RE: hardware problem...?? [ In reply to ]
For some reason, on my computer I needed to run motv. Just running it once
seemed to fix the sound out (evidently xawtv didn't turn on the lineout?!).

Avermedia TV Studio98, nForce 1 board.

-Thor