Also, I get the following message on the console from my startx which I
think is related:

Window manager warning: Window 0x180004b (mythfronte) sets SM_CLIENT_ID on
itself, instead of on the WM_CLIENT_LEADER window as specified in the ICCCM.

This is use the default gnome window manager in Redhat 8.0

Thanks in advance,
mark

P.S. Great work to everyone involved!
Re: mythfrontend is always displayed [ In reply to ]
have you restarted? The first time I got mythtv installed on a RH8
system I had the same thing happen, I don't know why. A reboot and it
never happened again.

cedar

RE: mythfrontend is always displayed [ In reply to ]
Cedar,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have restarted numerous times
without any help.

mark

Re: mythfrontend is always displayed [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 21 November 2002 03:20 pm, Mark Jeske wrote:
> I've just gotten everything up an running on a stock redhat 8.0 instance
> and have one problem. When I run mythfrontend I see the interface and
> can select items, etc. However, when I choose 'Watch Tv', the live tv
> window doesn't display although it is running because I get sound and
> can change channels with the arrow keys.
>
> It's as if the mythfrontend has taken over the display and won't let the
> mythtv program show. I can run mythtv by itself and everything is ok.
>
> Also, I get the following message on the console from my startx which I
> think is related:
>
> Window manager warning: Window 0x180004b (mythfronte) sets SM_CLIENT_ID on
> itself, instead of on the WM_CLIENT_LEADER window as specified in the
> ICCCM.
>
> This is use the default gnome window manager in Redhat 8.0

Might want to try a different window manager.

Isaac
Re: mythfrontend is always displayed [ In reply to ]
--- Mark Jeske <mark.jeske@av.com> wrote:
> I've just gotten everything up an running on a stock
> redhat 8.0 instance
> and have one problem. When I run mythfrontend I see
> the interface and
> can select items, etc. However, when I choose
> 'Watch Tv', the live tv
> window doesn't display although it is running
> because I get sound and
> can change channels with the arrow keys.

I don't have my MythTV box up right now but I ran into
this and,
as Isaac guessed, I seem to recall that the window
manager was at
fault. At first I just fired up KDE instead of gnome
and MythTV
started working. Then I figured out how to change the
window
manager gnome was using (that was kind of tricky as I
remember)
and that worked too. I eventually scrapped Redhat
entirely and
went with gentoo since I figued it was a better fit
for a dedicated
PVR machine.
--
patrick

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
RE: mythfrontend is always displayed [ In reply to ]
Thanks, switching to kde did the trick.

For Redhat 8.0 edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop and
change "GNOME" to "KDE".

mark