Mailing List Archive

Audio feedback and audio themes
So as long as I can't change channels, might as well work on something
else. :-)

I've been thinking about adding some form of audio feedback to the EPG,
dialogs, and other UI. The default would be subtle clicks to indicate
that the system has received your command (this is especially nice to
have when using an IR remote).

You could have different sounds when the user clicks "OK" or "Cancel".
If any of you are familiar with WebTV, I'm thinking of something along
those lines. You hear clicks and soft "thumps" in response to your
actions.

Audio feedback would be globally enabled/disabled in settings.txt. I
don't think audio feedback would be appropriate when watching TV or
listening to MP3s, so it won't be provided in those modes.

The sounds would be .wav files and would be integrated as part of the
themes so you could switch at will.

Comments? Is anyone else working on something like this? What's the
most appropriate way to play .wav files within mythTV? If there's a
library function I can call to do this, great. If I have to call out to
an external program, not so great. I've been looking at QSound::play but
it seems to depend on some weird network audio system.

Regards,

Dan
Re: Audio feedback and audio themes [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 20 November 2002 06:03 pm, Dan Schwarz wrote:
> So as long as I can't change channels, might as well work on something
> else. :-)

Try ALSA 0.9.0rc6 =)

> Comments? Is anyone else working on something like this? What's the
> most appropriate way to play .wav files within mythTV? If there's a
> library function I can call to do this, great. If I have to call out to
> an external program, not so great. I've been looking at QSound::play but
> it seems to depend on some weird network audio system.

There isn't any way to play wavs from within mythtv right now, but
parsing/playing .wav files is extremely easy to do.. A lightweight
implementation is easily < 100 lines of code. I've been pondering moving
most of the mythmusic core into the libmyth library, but it doesn't play .wav
files.

Anyway, the hardest thing about doing that would be making sure that the dsp
device is only used by one playback at a time..

But, if you want to write all that, go right ahead. It'd be a fairly neat
thing to have.

Isaac