start hacking away! :^)

Thanks,

-Mark
Re: Heads-up [ In reply to ]
At 19-11-02 18:17, you wrote:
>I'm working on a MythSettings module that will allow you to change the
>settings via the front end..
>change themes, resolution, recording preferences, ff/rew timespans,
>setup channels..etc..

Sounds OK, but I think modifying channelinfo should be done from within the
TV module while you see the transmission (for naming and tuning/finetuning)

Erik
Re: Heads-up [ In reply to ]
Yes, i'm already working on storing it in the DB...
i need a way to save the changes permanantly anyways, and
the settings.txt file is not very program-writable friendly :^)

what i'll probably do is not muck up any current code, as far as the settings.txt
file is concerend..both for backwards compatability reasons and for just
not causing more problems :^)

i'll have it read fromt eh settings file and then read from the DB, having the DB override
anything. i'll let Isaac decide when to pull stuff out of the settings.txt file.

-Mark

Re: Heads-up [ In reply to ]
Christian Morant wrote:

>Why not place all the settings in the DB (to keep all the data in the same
>place), have Mythsetting edit it and maybe storing all the default values

What's the advantage of putting the settings in the database? I think
settings and configuration files should be kept outside of the database,
for several reasons:

1) It's not relational data, so it shouldn't be in a relational database
2) It's harder to modify for the average user (unless the frontend can
manipulate _every_ setting possible) (Most people can modify a text
file, fewer can formulate an SQL command to update a value)
3) It's slower to access
4) It takes up more disk space
5) Comments are harder to have near the settings when the settings are
in a table in a database
Re: Heads-up [ In reply to ]
Well, thats why right now i'm thinking of doing both..for now..
right now i cannot "save" settings in the settings.txt file without lots
of problems, so my choices are to create a newsettings.txt file that i can easily modify,
or just have the DB override it..

To be more precise:

1. it's not slower to access, expecially if you already have a Db up and running and
even a connection open.

2. it does not take up more disk space, on the contrary they often compress the data versus an
ascii type file (case in point, storing integer numbers in an ascii file versus a true int in a database).

i'm open for anything, but i dont think modfiying the current settings.txt is an option that makes sense
right now #1, becuase it'd be a pain and #2, because it could really muck things up..if Isaac gives me the go-ahead,
then i'm fine with doing it.

In the end, i do plan on having _every_ setting throug the front end. Last night i was working on scanning channels
and setting up the channels and EPG through the front end.

-Mark

Re: Heads-up [ In reply to ]
Why not do like lots of other programs already do? Have a per-user
configuration file, eg ~/.mythtv/settings.txt, which is parsed after the
/usr/local/share/myth/settings.txt, which would contain the system-wide
defaults. The user's file could have a line at the top like "# See
/usr/local/share/myth/settings.txt for defaults and descriptions". You
can write to this file without worrying about "mucking up" the original
settings.txt.

Re: Heads-up [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 20 November 2002 03:00 pm, rob wrote:
> Why not do like lots of other programs already do? Have a per-user
> configuration file, eg ~/.mythtv/settings.txt, which is parsed after the
> /usr/local/share/myth/settings.txt, which would contain the system-wide
> defaults. The user's file could have a line at the top like "# See
> /usr/local/share/myth/settings.txt for defaults and descriptions". You
> can write to this file without worrying about "mucking up" the original
> settings.txt.

It already does this.

Anyway, stuff like encoding quality has to go into the database at somepoint,
since I want to have per-recording/per-capture-card quality settings, etc.

Isaac
Re: Heads-up [ In reply to ]
Just setup the settings so that the
/usr/local/share/mythtv files are not editable and are
never changed from the frontend. Then only files in a
users .mythtv/ directory are changed. That way when
you are playing around with changing settings in the
frontend you only have to worry about writing changes
to that users home directory, and not the defaults.

I would also leave the database settings stuff alone.
I agree that it seems like an extra step in the
process, since you could just load from the file into
mem, but who cares, its not hurting anything. And
storage of text files shouldn't really be an issue
when you are recording gigs worth of video.

I would setup some methods to read/write to a users
.mythtv/ directory when they make changes from the
frontend. Or maybe the best thing to do is have a
"save" button in Mythsettings. That way you can play
with the settings in the frontend, those settings go
to the db while the frontend is running, then if the
user wants to they can save the settings to disk. And
when you restart the frontend it automatically loads
from the settings file in the .mythtv/ dir if it
exists.

-- Allen

http://webhosting.yahoo.com
Re: Heads-up [ In reply to ]
Ohh..good point..per user....Doah! :^)

i'mm too fixed in the mindset that this is a stand alone set-top box :^)

thanks

Mark

Re: Heads-up [ In reply to ]
I have my system setup to play DVDs using xine.. I think that making some
RPMs available of the XINE stuff required to play DVDs will be the best /
only way to go.. The main reason for this is that most of the DVD-playback
stuff is illicit. As for DivX playback, that shouldn't be too hard.. again,
this could use xine with a basic command line.. The only real issue from
there would be incorporating xine into the myth baseset (buttons, etc)..

Xine is just a front-end to something or the other.. One feasible solution
might be to have this MythVideo module be a frontend to that same engine..
this would make things quite a bit easier, and could even rely on the db
for some of the settings..

As for the settings module, If you could maybe pay a little bit of
attention to trying to "modularize" this thing so that people could easily
create / throw in other setup modules into the larger whole (much like
mythtv allows other modules).. For example, I have a huge interest in
creating some sort of module that helps one control the satellite..

thoughts?

tarek : )

Re: Heads-up [ In reply to ]