latest Alsa?

Regards,

Dan
Re: Help - how to patch 0.9.0-rc5 on Debian unstable? [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 19 November 2002 12:06 am, dschwarz@bellatlantic.net wrote:
> OK, so now I'm hitting the infamous hang problem as well. Switch channels
> and the system locks up tight. I'm using Alsa 0.9.0-rc5 (Debian unstable
> binary packages). Looks like I'll be waiting awhile for the packagers to
> update to rc6 or later, so I'm thinking about getting the Debian source
> package and applying the patch myself.
>
> I haven't worked with Debian source packages before, so can anyone provide
> some tips (or better yet, a walkthru) on how to get the source package,
> patch it, and build it?

I'd just build your own kernel and alsa modules, as it's fairly easy to do
both in a single command with make-kpkg. You'll have the full source to the
alsa drivers sitting in /usr/src/modules, so you can easily patch things
manually.

Isaac
Re: Help - how to patch 0.9.0-rc5 on Debian unstable? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 12:06:15AM -0500, dschwarz@bellatlantic.net wrote:

> OK, so now I'm hitting the infamous hang problem as well. Switch channels
> and the system locks up tight. I'm using Alsa 0.9.0-rc5 (Debian unstable
> binary packages). Looks like I'll be waiting awhile for the packagers to
> update to rc6 or later, so I'm thinking about getting the Debian source
> package and applying the patch myself.

Why do you say that you'll be waiting a while? While the ALSA packages were
bitrotting for a while, Jordi Mallach has been doing a lot of work on them,
fixing a lot of bugs and updating to rc5.

> I haven't worked with Debian source packages before, so can anyone provide
> some tips (or better yet, a walkthru) on how to get the source package,
> patch it, and build it?

Are you using the stock kernel, or a custom kernel? If you're not already
building a custom kernel, and thus familiar with the module building
process, you're better off waiting for the official packages.

> Even better, anyone built an unofficial Debian binary package for the
> latest Alsa?

The binary package would need to exactly match your kernel.

--
- mdz