Mailing List Archive

MythTV setup quirks
Ok, so now I've got a supported TV tuner card (WinTV), tested & working
with xawtv, and it's finally time to get MythTV running.
I'm using the 0.7 tarball (latest CVS segfaults when running setup, and
I have a Pentium III so I know it supports the Pentium Pro instruction set!)

Couple of quirks

1) For some reason the setup program did not associate the Television
cardinput on the WinTV with the "default" videosource. So when I start
mythfrontend, I get: "default is defined, but isn't attached to a
cardinput." This should have been handled by selectSource(...) in
setup. I don't remember seeing the selectSource prompt text. Maybe I
just zoned out and missed that prompt? Anyone else had this problem?

Checked the database, nothing there.
mysql> select * from mythconverg.cardinput
-> ;
Empty set (0.00 sec)

I'll add the row manually. I'd re-run setup but it is a major pain to
re-key in IDs for the 90+ cable channels in my area.

Which leads me to quirk #2.

2) Why the need to enter in unique IDs for every single channel? These
lines in mythfilldatabase main.cpp indicate that it's just a way to
identify which channels to keep or skip in the listings,

if (chanid == 0)
{
// Default is 0 to allow rapid skipping of many channels,
// in some xmltv outputs there may be over 100 channel, but
// only 10 or so that are available in each area.
chanid = atoi(getResponse("Choose a channel ID (positive integer) ",
"0"));

// If we wish to skip this channel, use the default 0 and return.
if (chanid == 0)
return(0);
}

This is tedious and error-prone. As a cable TV subscriber the majority
of channels listed by xmltv ARE available to me, therefore I'd prefer
the default to be "keep", not "skip".

It seems reasonable to me to remove the mythfilldatabase --manual
requirement. Automatically assign a default unique ID for every channel
(so you initially have listings for every channel.) Then have an option
to go back and remove unused channels, as a completely optional step.
Perhaps integrated into the EPG ("remove this channel" option?) How
many people really have a need to tweak the channel names and fine tune
settings on the first setup? Making this completely automatic would be
a friendlier setup.

I'll submit patches to accomplish the above if Isaac is agreeable.

Regards,

Dan
Re: MythTV setup quirks [ In reply to ]
On Monday 18 November 2002 11:04 am, Dan Schwarz wrote:
> Ok, so now I've got a supported TV tuner card (WinTV), tested & working
> with xawtv, and it's finally time to get MythTV running.
> I'm using the 0.7 tarball (latest CVS segfaults when running setup, and
> I have a Pentium III so I know it supports the Pentium Pro instruction
> set!)

That's been fixed for about 12 hours now =)

> Couple of quirks
>
> 1) For some reason the setup program did not associate the Television
> cardinput on the WinTV with the "default" videosource. So when I start
> mythfrontend, I get: "default is defined, but isn't attached to a
> cardinput." This should have been handled by selectSource(...) in
> setup. I don't remember seeing the selectSource prompt text. Maybe I
> just zoned out and missed that prompt? Anyone else had this problem?

You already found the reason for this..

> I'll add the row manually. I'd re-run setup but it is a major pain to
> re-key in IDs for the 90+ cable channels in my area.
>
> Which leads me to quirk #2.
>
> 2) Why the need to enter in unique IDs for every single channel? These
> lines in mythfilldatabase main.cpp indicate that it's just a way to
> identify which channels to keep or skip in the listings,

Because it's the internal ID that is used to identify the channel?

> This is tedious and error-prone. As a cable TV subscriber the majority
> of channels listed by xmltv ARE available to me, therefore I'd prefer
> the default to be "keep", not "skip".
>
> It seems reasonable to me to remove the mythfilldatabase --manual
> requirement. Automatically assign a default unique ID for every channel
> (so you initially have listings for every channel.) Then have an option
> to go back and remove unused channels, as a completely optional step.
> Perhaps integrated into the EPG ("remove this channel" option?) How
> many people really have a need to tweak the channel names and fine tune
> settings on the first setup? Making this completely automatic would be
> a friendlier setup.

You only need to run mythfilldatabase --manual if you're using one of the
xmltv grabbers listed in the final output text of setup.

Isaac