Mailing List Archive

Newbie observations
Here is a list of troubles I ran into running mythv on my system.

My system is a Duron 800 on an Abit Kt7 board. 384 MB ram. Debian
Woody with a 2.4.16 kernel.
Video capture is a "Generic Peripherals" capture card - this is a bt7x8
chip with a philips tuner.
Sound card is an ensoniq 1371, video is an nvidia geforce MX 200. I
used the latest debian packages for mythtv (as of friday last week).

This first problem I had was audio. I have OSS drivers (or at least I
believe them to be OSS drivers). XMMS played back fine with these
drivers, although I don't think I've tested record with the drivers.
When I ran mythtv, it would complain that it couldn't set the sample
rate and said something about exiting, but the program didn't actually
stop. Also, video didn't come up. I finally decided that the message
about the audio must be causing some sort of problem, so I installed
ALSA drivers instead of my OSS drivers. This cured the audio problem
and video finally appeared.

There are two problems here. First, the program should actually quit if
it says so. I was thrown off track by it's behavior. The second
problem is that I think the program should be able to run without sound,
if for no other reason, to test the video portion of the program.

So I finally got video and audio working, but I had choppy video and
audio was out of sync. I tried changing resolution from 480x480 to
480x360 and I got a crash. (btw - i am using rtjpg). 240x240 worked,
but the OSD text didn't scale and it was clipped. I believe the audio
was still out of sync at this point, but I'll have to verify that. I
also have to verify if my CPU is being maxed out and causing sync
problems. I also have the blue face problem, but I just need to update
my nvidia drivers which I'll try tonight.

That's all for now. This is really cool software, so keep up the good
work. I'd contribute to the coding, but I'm not well versed in c++.
Plus I have a 250 year old house and a 2 month old son that suck up
alot of my time :)

Andy
RE: Newbie observations [ In reply to ]