will be quicker this way :-)

Any pointers for the hanging problem? I stopped developing for MythTV as
the rebooting was getting boring and I just waited for new releases of the
BTTV or ALSA driver to solve my problem (quite sure my problem lies in that
direction). And without channelswitching: the main menu, the EPG (without
selecting a channel) and timeshifting on a the channel active when mythTV
was started is about all you can do...

Erik
Re: Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV [ In reply to ]
Erik, I have been having the same problem.

I posted to this list a couple of weeks ago but did not get much back.
http://www.snowman.net/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2002-November/000959.html Of
course everyone told me that I should not be using CVS, etc but that was
just my most recent try, I tried just about every combination I could with
no luck. I started with Debian stable and the install went pretty smooth.
Once I ran into problems I started changing the configuration. What is
your configuration? What kernel, bttv, alsa and video are you using?
One thing I never tried is to hook up a serial console to see if the
kernel logs any messages just before the crash. The only output I ever
got was while running mythtv from a ssh session: read audio: Interrupted system call
VIDIOSYNC0: Interrupted system call

xawtv also worked for me and I was able to watch live tv with Myth on the
initial channel (Actually every now and again I could change channels one
time. But this was very random). I successfully recorded and then played
back a program. However while recording a second time I switched to
another window and started working on something else which caused the
hang. This may mean that the problem is not in the video, sound or
network drivers. That leaves BTTV and hard drive.
From what I could find you should make sure that your capture card is on
it own interrupt (no help for me) and try adjusting the PCI latency (never
found documentation on what values to try). I also read that upgrading
the harddrive drivers could help but I never found more information on
this.
I don't have myth installed anywhere right now, but if you find anything
or would like to work on this let me know and I will reload, but for now I
am just out of patience with. Maybe I'll try again in a few weeks.
John

Re: Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV [ In reply to ]
Here's my journey with mythtv:

Started with fresh machine, Mandrake 9.0, installed mythtv and all
the prerequisites.

Whenever I start mythtv it worked just like the reset button on the
front, the machine instantly rebooted.

Installed Alsa drivers ( for onboard sound )

mythtv works, but locks solid on channel changes. Randomly would
let me switch channels one or two times.

Installed SB-Live soundcard + change alsa drivers -> still locks on
channel changes.

Installed fresh copy of Mandrake *8.2* with SB-Live soundcard in,
compiled qt from source, installed all the other prerequisites.

AND IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!

My hardware:

MSI Motherboard, Athalon 1700, 512MB Ram, 80G HD, MSI nvidia
geforce4 mx, 1 DVD drive, 1 CDRW drive, 1 PCI SB Live sound card.

Don't know if that will help you at all, but there it is.

Pat

Re: Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV [ In reply to ]
Forgot tuner card in HW listing: ATI TV Wonder VE

Re: Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV [ In reply to ]
Grrr. Mandrake 8.2!? I started with RH8. No luck. I moved over to
Mandrake 9.0. No luck. I decided to get a Soundblaster PCI-512 and did a
clean install (again) of Mandrake 9.0. No luck. Sure audio works with
other apps and mythtv works like a dream. But still no luck with MythTv.

Mandrake 8.2? I'm willing to try anything right now. It's a shame that
Myth is so fragile with audio. Seems like that should be addressed before
feature additions.

I wonder if compiling qt from source would help me...don't see how it
would but everything else has been a dead end.

Re: Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV [ In reply to ]
Patrick thanks for the info.

Can you tell me the version of Kernel, BTTV and Alsa you are running?

I would also like to see the output from our syslog when it recognizes the
capture card (card and tuner types) I also have the ATI TV Wonder VE. And
possibly your modules.conf
Thanks!

Re: Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV [ In reply to ]

j> xawtv also worked for me and I was able to watch live tv with Myth on the
j> initial channel (Actually every now and again I could change channels one
j> time. But this was very random). I successfully recorded and then played
j> back a program. However while recording a second time I switched to
j> another window and started working on something else which caused the
j> hang. This may mean that the problem is not in the video, sound or
j> network drivers. That leaves BTTV and hard drive.

For what it's worth, I started a couple of days ago and am
seeing exactly the same symptoms. I finally found out that even
NuppelVideo "nuvrec" by itself (which just records) would also hang
the machine so it does suggest a bttv problem. I tried both
bttv-0.7.100 and bttv-0.9.1 (developmental) drivers and still see the
hangs.

Since I'm using a Hauppauge WinTV card that everyone else
seems to be succesfully using, I'm wondering if there's some
interaction with other parts of the system. Has anyone else seen
problems with:

Asus A7V8X board/1.8GHz Athlon/ATI Radeon 8500
RedHat 8.0 (kernel 2.4.18-18.8.0)/ALSA 0.9.0rc5

--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gtgj@pacbell.net
Re: Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV [ In reply to ]
I too have had horrible problems with mythtv hanging my machine..
Redhat 8.0:

I have a SB Live card, it would hang when
mythtv started. (using ALSA)

Using OSS drivers, it worked fine but for some reason would not record from
line-in...dont care because i really want ALSA anyways..

I then ripped out the SB card and used my onboard VIA 82xx..
Using ALSA, the machien would hang when changing channels.

Using OSS, it worked fine..

I was told to try the ALSA CVS..i downloaded it, it WORKS!!!
it works GREAT in fact!

so people may want to give that a try too,

Hope this helps,
Mark

Re: Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV [ In reply to ]
It seems like a lot of people are seeing the same hang -- a complete
system lockup. This can't be a myth bug, b/c a user app should never be
able to do this. It can't be a linux bug, b/c there are none, right? So
it seems like a device driver issue.

I saw this problem after I made some changes to the system, so I
reverted the changes one by one and found that the newer version of ALSA
was crashing. It might have been -rc5, I'm not sure, this was almost a
week ago. The older version -- which I luckily had not deleted -- works
fine.

The older version that does work (for me; YMMV) is:

0.9.0-rc3 (driver, lib, utils)
0.9.0-rc1 (oss, tools)

The sound card is a Turtle Beach Malibu. It's an ISA card, similar to
AWE64 in capability. This card has had ALSA support for a long time, so
it's funny that it would start crashing.

If you try this older version, please report back to the list,
especially if it fixes the problem. If this is a common problem, we can
investigate and put together a bug report to ALSA.

thanks.

-- john
Re: Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 20 November 2002 03:08 am, Christian Morant wrote:
> I only tried bttv 7.100
> Abnd could pinpoint where it froze my machine :
>
> NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp line 1163
> if (audio_buffer_size != (lastread = read(afd, buffer,
> audio_buffer_size)))
>
> I tired to copy the digitize code in a test app and it worked perfectly...
>
> Also everything worked fine in myth 0.6...

Soundcard driver problem, again, as has been said in several emails now. If
you revert back to the 0.6 release, it'd do the exact same thing, as
absolutely none of that code's changed in the slightest between 0.6 and 0.7.
You most likely upgraded to the 0.9.0rc5 release of ALSA somewhere in there?

Just to reiterate:

MythTV cannot a) make your machine hang, b) make your machine reboot, c)
make coffee in the morning. If either of those first two happen, it's a
driver/hardware issue.

Isaac
Re: Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV [ In reply to ]
Just for googling purposes:
I have mythtv running on a VIA EPIA box. It would reboot, or occasionally
hang, immediately upon starting mythtv. I switched from the via82cxxx_audio
driver in linux 2.4.19 to the snd-via82xx driver in alsa 0.9.0rc5, and got
further, although i get a lot of errors from the audio driver.

I set Deinterlace to 0, and got much further. I now have video playback
working, but I too suffer from the channel changing crash bug. I also have
no audio. I'm using the pcm-oss compatability modules, and can play audio
otherwise using /dev/dsp.

Feel free to include this w/ any bug reports to alsa.

dannf@dannf.org
Re: Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Monday 18 November 2002 22:42, Gregorio Gervasio Jr. wrote:

> j> xawtv also worked for me and I was able to watch live tv with Myth on
> the j> initial channel (Actually every now and again I could change
> channels one j> time. But this was very random). I successfully recorded
> and then played j> back a program. However while recording a second time I
> switched to j> another window and started working on something else which
> caused the j> hang. This may mean that the problem is not in the video,
> sound or j> network drivers. That leaves BTTV and hard drive.
>
> For what it's worth, I started a couple of days ago and am
> seeing exactly the same symptoms. I finally found out that even
> NuppelVideo "nuvrec" by itself (which just records) would also hang
> the machine so it does suggest a bttv problem. I tried both
> bttv-0.7.100 and bttv-0.9.1 (developmental) drivers and still see the
> hangs.

I only tried bttv 7.100
Abnd could pinpoint where it froze my machine :

NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp line 1163
if (audio_buffer_size != (lastread = read(afd, buffer,
audio_buffer_size)))

I tired to copy the digitize code in a test app and it worked perfectly...

Also everything worked fine in myth 0.6...

Hope this helps

Christian

Re: Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 09:57:17AM -0700, dann frazier wrote:

> Just for googling purposes:
> I have mythtv running on a VIA EPIA box. It would reboot, or occasionally
> hang, immediately upon starting mythtv. I switched from the via82cxxx_audio
> driver in linux 2.4.19 to the snd-via82xx driver in alsa 0.9.0rc5, and got
> further, although i get a lot of errors from the audio driver.
>
> I set Deinterlace to 0, and got much further. I now have video playback
> working, but I too suffer from the channel changing crash bug. I also have
> no audio. I'm using the pcm-oss compatability modules, and can play audio
> otherwise using /dev/dsp.

VIA onboard sound is *awful*. Get a dedicated sound card and your problems
will go away.

(I have one of these in one of my systems)

--
- mdz
Re: Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV [ In reply to ]
also you want a patched version of alsa. 0.9.0rc5. This version has
some problems, addressed by a patch (or, I think, the cvs) You can find
the patch within the last few days on the mailing list.

cedar

Re: Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV [ In reply to ]
> Get a dedicated sound card and your problems will go away.
No they don't...

Read the ww.mythtv.org, rc5 ihas a bug, fix is on this mailing list.
Solved a lot of peoples hanging when channelswitching, including mine (and
I use on board sound with alsa snd-via82xx, release rc5 with that patch now)

And the quality is more than sufficient for TV sound, unless you have a
quality feed and an audio backend to match. I never heard any consumer TV
do better. And yes, DTS from DVD over my Pioneer 5.1 unit to my normal HiFi
does, but unfortunately the only thing the TV channeldistributors here in
The Netherlands do is send noisy 2-channel fm (and some channels even mono...)

Erik