/dev/v4l/video1 while the new card has become /dev/v4l/video0, which means my
nice working mythtv setup doesn't work. So a bit of troubleshooting is in
order. Not getting much in the way of hits on google on dual tv card setups.
Re: dual tv cards - modules.conf [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 09:00:33PM -0800, Emil Friis wrote:
> My problem with getting two cards to work was that on
> my AverMedia AverTV Stereo I had to specify the
> audiomux argument to avoid being stuck on the SAP
> channel, but by doing that I messed up my new Pinnacle

Hi Emil,

Ahh, the audiomux. Thanks.

I have this card as well and I've been having a hell of a time getting
it to work. I've only been able to get mono sound out of the analog
btaudio device for this card, and the driver doesn't seem to detect a
digial device. Which sound devices are you using? Are you using
btaudio or the loopback cable? I'm guessing btaudio since you have
two tv cards, or do you have two sound cards? If it's btaudio, have
you gotten the digital input to work? Do you have two sound cards?

Thanks and please excuse the wave of questions, :-)
-Jim
Re: dual tv cards - modules.conf [ In reply to ]
I have a couple of suggestions that you might try out:

1) Try to swap the two cards around, this might make
them be recognized in a different order making your old
card video0

2) Run setup again and specify video1 as your card

If you are trying to get your new card to work and you
don't need any exotic bttv arguments, you can specify
the card, radio and pll arguments as comma seperated
values (ie card=13,11).

My problem with getting two cards to work was that on
my AverMedia AverTV Stereo I had to specify the
audiomux argument to avoid being stuck on the SAP
channel, but by doing that I messed up my new Pinnacle
card. I ended up having to change the audiomux setting
in the source and recompiling (0xff44e for the first
parameter in the array). After having done that I can
just 'modprobe bttv' and both cards work.

Re: dual tv cards - modules.conf [ In reply to ]
On Friday 15 November 2002 09:00 pm, you wrote:

> 1) Try to swap the two cards around, this might make
> them be recognized in a different order making your old
> card video0
That was the first thing I did after sending the email to the list. As
expected that was sorted out. I had put the new card in a higher priority
pci slot... DOH!

> If you are trying to get your new card to work and you
> don't need any exotic bttv arguments, you can specify
> the card, radio and pll arguments as comma seperated
> values (ie card=13,11).

Well, ideally I'd like to have separate config statements for each card in
modules.conf so I could tune them appropriatley. One's and ATI TV Wonder
while the other is a Aims Labs Video Highway Extreme. The hardware features
on the two cards are quite different.
Re: dual tv cards - modules.conf [ In reply to ]
I don't think there is any way to modprobe bttv
multiple times. The first time it comes across a bttv
in modules.conf I think it will detect both cards. If
they both get autodetected properly that shouldn't be a
problem. Otherwise you might have to make some changes
in bttv-cards.c for the cardnumber your tuner gets
detected as.

I have gotten both my cards to work with xawtv even
though the Pinnacle cards reception seems a lot worse
than the AverMedia. I haven't been able to get btaudio
to work for either card yet (don't know if they support
it) so I enabled my onboard sound and have two
soundcards set up, and it seems like everything is
working except for when I try to use both cards in Myth.

When running mythfrontend I get the following:

Probed: /dev/video0 - Television
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite1
Probed: /dev/video0 - S-Video
Probed: /dev/video1 - Television
Probed: /dev/video1 - Composite1
Probed: /dev/video1 - S-Video
Probed: /dev/video1 - Television
Probed: /dev/video1 - Composite1
Probed: /dev/video1 - S-Video

This doesn't seem right, or is it? And then when I try
to use the Picture in Picture I end up not being able
to issue any keyboard commands to Myth. Are they being
directed to the PiP that I for some reason can't see?

Anyway it doesn't seem like anyone else is using two
cards - except for Isaac.

Let me know if you get any further - I'm pretty much
stuck, or if anyone has suggestions on how to
troubleshoot.

Re: dual tv cards - modules.conf [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 16 November 2002 03:47 pm, Emil Friis wrote:
> I don't think there is any way to modprobe bttv
> multiple times. The first time it comes across a bttv
> in modules.conf I think it will detect both cards. If
> they both get autodetected properly that shouldn't be a
> problem. Otherwise you might have to make some changes
> in bttv-cards.c for the cardnumber your tuner gets
> detected as.
>
> I have gotten both my cards to work with xawtv even
> though the Pinnacle cards reception seems a lot worse
> than the AverMedia. I haven't been able to get btaudio
> to work for either card yet (don't know if they support
> it) so I enabled my onboard sound and have two
> soundcards set up, and it seems like everything is
> working except for when I try to use both cards in Myth.
>
> When running mythfrontend I get the following:
>
> Probed: /dev/video0 - Television
> Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite1
> Probed: /dev/video0 - S-Video
> Probed: /dev/video1 - Television
> Probed: /dev/video1 - Composite1
> Probed: /dev/video1 - S-Video
> Probed: /dev/video1 - Television
> Probed: /dev/video1 - Composite1
> Probed: /dev/video1 - S-Video

This is right -- the second card gets probed twice, once as the PiP card for
the first one, and once as its own device.

> This doesn't seem right, or is it? And then when I try
> to use the Picture in Picture I end up not being able
> to issue any keyboard commands to Myth. Are they being
> directed to the PiP that I for some reason can't see?

Make sure you have the PIP* settings in the settings.txt set right. Does the
PiP display show up, or anything else happen? It automatically sets the
video recording size for the PiP display to 160x128, so that may be causing
problems if your card can't do that..

Isaac
Re: dual tv cards - modules.conf [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Isaac Richards wrote:

> Make sure you have the PIP* settings in the
> settings.txt set right.

Yeah - PIPBuffername points to the right path.
PIPBufferSize and PIPMaxBufferFill are the default
values.

> Does the PiP display show up, or anything else
> happen?

The only thing that happens is MythTV not accepting any
more key presses. TV keeps playing just fine but I
can't exit out of MythTV unless I ctrl+alt+? to a
different console and kill the process.

> It automatically sets the
> video recording size for the PiP display to 160x128,
> so that may be causing
> problems if your card can't do that..

What would be the best way of figuring out if my card
supports that resolution? And where can I change the
resolution?

> Isaac

Thanks,

-Emil
Re: dual tv cards - modules.conf [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 16 November 2002 04:19 pm, Emil Friis wrote:
> > Does the PiP display show up, or anything else
> > happen?
>
> The only thing that happens is MythTV not accepting any
> more key presses. TV keeps playing just fine but I
> can't exit out of MythTV unless I ctrl+alt+? to a
> different console and kill the process.

Know anything about gdb? It sounds like one of the processes is getting
stopped up -- can you recompile for debugging (editing settings.pro,
remaking), run mythtv in gdb and hit ctl-c once it hangs like that.. send me
the output of 'bt' and 'info threads'. Other thing to do would be to stick
some debugging statements in libs/libmythtv/tv.cpp:TV::TogglePIPView() to see
how far along it gets.. Most likely, its hanging waiting for either the
recording process or the playback to get started.

> > It automatically sets the
> > video recording size for the PiP display to 160x128,
> > so that may be causing
> > problems if your card can't do that..
>
> What would be the best way of figuring out if my card
> supports that resolution? And where can I change the
> resolution?

I dunno -- changing the capture resolution in xawtv ('slong as you're using
grabdisplay, and not overlay mode) might be easiest to see.. The PiP
resolution's hardcoded in libs/libmythtv/tv.cpp, though.

Isaac
Re: dual tv cards - modules.conf [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 15:10:26 -0800 (PST), Isaac Richards
wrote:

> Know anything about gdb? It sounds like one of the
> processes is getting
> stopped up -- can you recompile for debugging (editing
> settings.pro,
> remaking), run mythtv in gdb and hit ctl-c once it hangs
> like that.. send me
> the output of 'bt' and 'info threads'.

Well, I didn't know anything about it but I guess now I know
enough to run a program through it. This is what I got once
I pressed V:

[New Thread 9226 (LWP 26799)]
VIDIOSYNC1: Interrupted system call
only read 2048 from 4096 bytes from '/dev/dsp'
read audio: Interrupted system call

After this point it doesn't matter what key I press. It
could look like there actually is something messed up with
the audio. When I ran setup I associated both cards with
'/dev/dsp' even though I have the cards hooked up to
different soundcards.

> Other thing to do would be to stick
> some debugging statements in
> libs/libmythtv/tv.cpp:TV::TogglePIPView() to see
> how far along it gets.. Most likely, its hanging waiting
> for either the
> recording process or the playback to get started.

I guess this is the next thing I'll try if you think it's
necessary based on info above.

> > What would be the best way of figuring out if my card
> > supports that resolution? And where can I change the
> > resolution?
>
> I dunno -- changing the capture resolution in xawtv ('slong
> as you're using grabdisplay, and not overlay mode) might
> be easiest to see..

I tried to change the capture resolution in settings.txt and
that worked fine.

Re: dual tv cards - modules.conf [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 16 November 2002 06:23 pm, Emil Friis wrote:
> After this point it doesn't matter what key I press. It
> could look like there actually is something messed up with
> the audio. When I ran setup I associated both cards with
> '/dev/dsp' even though I have the cards hooked up to
> different soundcards.

Actually, that's most likely it -- if it's trying to open /dev/dsp for reading
the 2nd card's audio, and the first card already has it open, it _could_
hang.

If you hit ctl-c in the term window that ran gdb, it'll break, and allow you
to run the 'bt' and 'info threads' command that I mentioned before, but if
you really do have both set to use /dev/dsp, I'm pretty sure that fixing that
will fix it hanging when you try to use PiP.

Isaac
Re: dual tv cards - modules.conf [ In reply to ]
Ok, I guess I had a lot more to learn about gdb...

Here is the output of bt:

#0 0x409e0fe1 in nanosleep () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1 0x40a0daea in usleep () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2 0x080af1f2 in QImage::height() const ()
#3 0x080aed6b in QImage::height() const ()
#4 0x40760b73 in pthread_start_thread () from
/lib/libpthread.so.0
#5 0x40760bff in pthread_start_thread_event () from
/lib/libpthread.so.0

And here is "info threads":

* 20 Thread 18451 (LWP 3970) 0x409e0fe1 in nanosleep ()
from /lib/libc.so.6
19 Thread 17426 (LWP 3969) 0x409e0fe1 in nanosleep ()
from /lib/libc.so.6
18 Thread 16401 (LWP 3968) 0x40a05a24 in write () from
/lib/libc.so.6
17 Thread 15376 (LWP 3967) 0x4096bc01 in sigsuspend ()
from /lib/libc.so.6
16 Thread 14351 (LWP 3966) 0x40a059e4 in read () from
/lib/libc.so.6
15 Thread 13326 (LWP 3965) 0x08125a0a in QImage::height()
const ()
14 Thread 12301 (LWP 3964) 0x40a0cb44 in ioctl () from
/lib/libc.so.6
13 Thread 11276 (LWP 3963) 0x409e0fe1 in nanosleep ()
from /lib/libc.so.6
5 Thread 3076 (LWP 3955) 0x409e0fe1 in nanosleep () from
/lib/libc.so.6
4 Thread 2051 (LWP 3954) 0x409e0fe1 in nanosleep () from
/lib/libc.so.6
3 Thread 1026 (LWP 3952) 0x40a05914 in open () from
/lib/libc.so.6
2 Thread 2049 (LWP 3951) 0x40a0b052 in poll () from
/lib/libc.so.6
1 Thread 1024 (LWP 3947) 0x409e0fe1 in nanosleep () from
/lib/libc.so.6

I was trying to look at how I can get the two sound cards
running correctly and found some info on how there are some
problems with devfs and alsa - I get the following in dmesg:

devfs_register(unknown): could not append to parent, err: -17

and end up with only one dsp entry in /dev/sound plus an
'unknown'.

Isaac, could you please explain briefly how you have your
sound working (btaudio etc.). I appreciate the help so far.

-Emil

Re: dual tv cards - modules.conf [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 16 November 2002 10:28 pm, Emil Friis wrote:
> Isaac, could you please explain briefly how you have your
> sound working (btaudio etc.). I appreciate the help so far.

Ok, here's how I have everything setup:

The internal NVidia NForce audio on my motherboard gets setup as /dev/dsp.

The Hauppauge WinTV-Radio gets IDed as /dev/video0. It uses the btaudio
driver, which sets up /dev/dsp1 and /dev/dsp2 as the digital and analog
outputs of it. Only the digital output seems to work, at 32kHz, stereo,
16bit.

The ATI TV Wonder VE gets IDed as /dev/video1. It cannot use the btaudio
driver, so I have it hooked into the line-in on the motherboard header. The
btaudio driver still does detect the card and create /dev/dsp3 and /dev/dsp4
for it to use, but no sound comes out of them.

So:

card 1: /dev/video0, /dev/dsp1 locked to 32kHz.
card 2: /dev/video1, /dev/dsp at any sampling rate I want, normally 32kHz.

I'm using ALSA 0.9 for the drivers for the nforce soundcard, but using the
oss-emulation, of course. The two tuner cards are otherwise similar enough
that they use the same bttv settings, etc.

Isaac