Mailing List Archive

Feature Request: Search function for programs
Re: Feature Request: Search function for programs [ In reply to ]
I understand the desire for this feature, but I think
there is 1 problem with it. If you plan to actually
integrate your mythtv setup into your home theater and
only use it via remote ... then how would you enter a
string to search for?

That is why directv and digital cable just have
browsable menu's ... not searches.

Just a thought.

-- Allen

--- Robert Kulagowski <rkulagowski@thrupoint.net>

http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
RE: Feature Request: Search function for programs [ In reply to ]
Re: Feature Request: Search function for programs [ In reply to ]
Right, ReplayTV does the same thing, only top/bottom. If its
layed out as a

abc def ghi
jlk mno pqr
stu vwx yz

clr sp del

It could be mapped to numeric keys and such on a remote, much
the way a cell phone lets a user edit the directory/phonebook.
To enter "Tivo" its 77 333 8 555

or use arrow keys/select key.

My cell phone does word completion frequently, so i could enter:
7385

and then use "next" to pick the word out of a list. If the
list of words to complete on came from the tvtime feed in the
MySQL database, you'd just look for all words that matched the
code 7385 and let the user scroll using a "next" key. Map 0
to mean a space, and do the searches on space breaks between
words.

Could be very fast to key in a program to search for using a
simple remote.

--
Shawn.
Re: Feature Request: Search function for programs [ In reply to ]
"Allen T. Gilliland IV" <alleng4@yahoo.com> wrote:
> That is why directv and digital cable just have
> browsable menu's ... not searches.

I also want to point out that i like searching for
a show, better than browsing for it, when trying to
program to record it. For example, I know I want
to record "Friends" or "Stargate SG-1", I just don't
always know when its on.

Finally, by searching for it by title, we can
automatically schedule recordings for programs when
they change their timeslot in the program guide, etc,
or we don't always know when they are on. For example,
I didn't know SciFi shows the 5 Stargate SG-1 episodes
shown on Monday night also at like 3 am every week day.
But my ReplayTV did.

--
Shawn.
Re: Feature Request: Search function for programs [ In reply to ]
Re: Feature Request: Search function for programs [ In reply to ]
Robert Kulagowski <rkulagowski@thrupoint.net> wrote:
> MythWeb currently isn't a required module and entails more
> requirements like a web server and php; are you amenable to a "search
> for recording" feature in the main mythtv module, or do you think
> it's best kept seperate? This sort of goes back to my earlier post
> asking about features and what you'd accept.

I may find motivation to write the search stuff i was talking about
earlier today... problem is the time....

If i do, i'll make a patch. Would you be willing to accept the
feature Isaac, assuming the patch was relatively sane and to your
code standards?

--
Shawn.
Re: Feature Request: Search function for programs [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 14 November 2002 12:19 am, Shawn Pearce wrote:
> I may find motivation to write the search stuff i was talking about
> earlier today... problem is the time....
>
> If i do, i'll make a patch. Would you be willing to accept the
> feature Isaac, assuming the patch was relatively sane and to your
> code standards?

Sure thing. My only requests would be that the on-screen entry stuff is
generic enough to be re-used elsewhere, and that it at least has the ability
to be expanded to support other character sets.

Isaac
Re: Feature Request: Search function for programs [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 03:28:23PM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
> I don't really feel like writing up an on-screen keyboard for text entry,
> especially not one that handles other character sets...

But then you could add email support and maybe a simple web browser and....
oh wait, never mind.

--
Ray