Mailing List Archive

Still having problems with 'mythtv' -- No Video
I'm still having problems with 'mythtv' (the other MythTV components seem
to be running just fine). I can run 'xawtv' without problems. Here's a
little debugging info:

# gdb /var/src/try2/mythtv-0.7/programs/mythtv/mythtv
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (5.2.1-4)
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /var/src/try2/mythtv-0.7/programs/mythtv/mythtv
[New Thread 8192 (LWP 1300)]
Probed: /dev/video0 - Television
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite1
Probed: /dev/video0 - S-Video
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite3
[New Thread 16385 (LWP 1308)]
[New Thread 8194 (LWP 1309)]
[New Thread 16387 (LWP 1310)]
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
[New Thread 24580 (LWP 1314)]
[New Thread 32773 (LWP 1315)]
[New Thread 40966 (LWP 1316)]
[New Thread 49159 (LWP 1317)]
VIDIOCSYNC0: Interrupted system call

Then the thing just hangs. It doesn't do anything after this point. And
yes, I know that I'm running 'mythtv' from
'/var/src/try2/mythtv-0.7/programs/mythtv/'. I recompiled a version with
backtrace support. It does the same thing if I call mythtv from
/usr/local/bin.

Any ideas?

Jeremy
Re: Still having problems with 'mythtv' -- No Video [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 10 November 2002 01:34 pm, Jeremy Oddo wrote:
> I'm still having problems with 'mythtv' (the other MythTV components seem
> to be running just fine). I can run 'xawtv' without problems. Here's a
> little debugging info:
>
> Then the thing just hangs. It doesn't do anything after this point. And
> yes, I know that I'm running 'mythtv' from
> '/var/src/try2/mythtv-0.7/programs/mythtv/'. I recompiled a version with
> backtrace support. It does the same thing if I call mythtv from
> /usr/local/bin.

You probably have something hogging /dev/dsp. artsd, esd, whatnot.

Isaac
Re: Still having problems with 'mythtv' -- No Video [ In reply to ]
As an aside, if you run artsd (mandrake?), then you may have some success
with soundwrapper.. You would run it by typing:

# soundwrapper mythtv

And it'll wrap sound to the daemon.. not sure what the wide-ranging
implications of this is, but I have had some success with wrappers in the
past when using programs like Myth on a system that I use for other things
as well..

Enjoy! : )

tarek : )

Re: Still having problems with 'mythtv' -- No Video [ In reply to ]
Is there an easy way to find out if anything's using /dev/dsp? To my
knowledge, I'm not running anything (unless RH8 is doing something fishy).
If not, is there an easy way to temporarily bypass sound to see if mythtv
will come up?

Thanks!

Re: Still having problems with 'mythtv' -- No Video [ In reply to ]
As I understand, the easiest way is to do:

# fuser /dev/dsp

Though it is possible that some of the daemons may not register on it..
not sure, but try it out and see what's up.. You can go into KDE's control
panel (if running KDE) and get to your sound options and disable whatever
server you're using.. You could also run another window manager.. it is my
experience that only the higher end window managers (kde, gnome) will run
their own sound servers..

Good luck, my friend!

tarek : )

Re: Still having problems with 'mythtv' -- No Video [ In reply to ]
> As I understand, the easiest way is to do:
>
> # fuser /dev/dsp
>
> Though it is possible that some of the daemons may not register on it..
> not sure, but try it out and see what's up.. You can go into KDE's control
> panel (if running KDE) and get to your sound options and disable whatever
> server you're using.. You could also run another window manager.. it is my
> experience that only the higher end window managers (kde, gnome) will run
> their own sound servers..

Man, I'm soooo close I can taste it!

I usually run gnome, but I fired up KDE and tried a few things (even
disabling the sound server entirely). I even tried running twm as it's a
REAL basic windows manager. Still no luck.

I'm not even sure if it's a sound problem (but Isaac seems to think it is,
and he knows a hell of a lot more about it than me!).

I have noticed that ringbuf.nuv keeps growing and growing, but I don't
have any video.

I'm so sad :(
Jeremy
Re: Still having problems with 'mythtv' -- No Video [ In reply to ]
If you are not using alsa drivers for sound then try
that. I had a problem with mythtv hanging because the
kernel sound drivers would somehow lock the /dev/dsp
device and mythtv could never get ahold of it. Once I
switched to alsa then everything worked out.

-- Allen