Salon Internet http://www.salon.com/
Manager, Software and Systems "Livin' La Vida Unix!"
Ian Kallen <idk@salon.com> / AIM: iankallen / Fax: (415) 354-3326
Re: signal handler? [ In reply to ]
> Anybody know of any tricks to trigger HUP and USR1 signals in the parent
> process via the API?

I don't believe there is one since kill() does (should do) the job
perfectly.
ELB

--
Eric L. Brine | Chicken: The egg's way of making more eggs.
ELB@iname.com | Do you always hit the nail on the thumb?
Re: signal handler? [ In reply to ]
Today, Eric L. Brine <ELB@iname.com> frothed and gesticulated about Re:...:
> > Anybody know of any tricks to trigger HUP and USR1 signals in the parent
> > process via the API?
>
> I don't believe there is one since kill() does (should do) the job
> perfectly.

Duh, but not remotely. I'm trying to avoid snmp or some other evil to
remotely reconfigure the server. Having a shell open on every machine in
a cluster is a drag.

Re: signal handler? [ In reply to ]
> > > Anybody know of any tricks to trigger HUP and USR1 signals in the
> > > parent process via the API?
> >
> > I don't believe there is one since kill() does (should do) the job
> > perfectly.
>
> Duh, but not remotely. I'm trying to avoid snmp or some other evil to
> remotely reconfigure the server. Having a shell open on every machine
> in a cluster is a drag.

I must have missed the requirement of being able to do it remotely in your
first message. Then again, I believed you asked for an API call, and you
can't do those remotely either!

In that case, you can write a mod_perl script which calls kill()?