I'm using Debain Linux 2.1r3

Thanks,
J.
Re: <Location> [ In reply to ]
You can also try apachectl configtest.

Check your error_log and see if your server name includes mod_perl in the
restart entry. Or, try 'httpd -l' and see if 'mod_perl.o' is listed.

Jon

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Alan wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:03:48 -0800
> From: Alan <alan@ufies.org>
> To: modperl@apache.org, jleach@mail.ocis.net
> Subject: Re: <Location>
>
> > <Location /perl>
> > SetHandler perl-script
> > PerlHandler Apache::Registry
> > Options +ExecCGI
> > </Location>
> >
> > in my access.conf and then presto, the server will not start:
> > praha:/etc/apache# /etc/init.d/apache restart
> > Restarting apache daemon... failed.
> >
> > Am I putting that in the wrong place? I just read a bit in perl.apache.org
> > and it looks ok...to me.
> >
> > I'm using Debain Linux 2.1r3
>
> Try using "apachectl start". This should show you whatever errors apache is
> giving on startup (which debian hides behind the "failed" message when you use
> the init.d/apache strcipt).
>
> This should give you a better idea of what is going on. I'd guess that you
> probably don't have the mod_perl module loaded up properly.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alan
>
> --
> Arcterex -=|=- arcterex@userfriendly.org -=|=- http://arcterex.ufies.org
> '... I was worried they were going to say "you don't have enough LSD in your
> system to do UNIX programming."' -- Paul Tomblin in a.s.r

J. Horner
jhorner@knoxlug.org http://jjhorner.penguinpowered.com/
1:35pm up 5 days, 17:48, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Re: <Location> [ In reply to ]

Re: <Location> [ In reply to ]
"Jason C. Leach" wrote:

> hi,
>
> I stick:
>
> Alias /perl/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
>
> <Location /perl>
> SetHandler perl-script
> PerlHandler Apache::Registry
> Options +ExecCGI
> </Location>
>
> in my access.conf and then presto, the server will not start:
> praha:/etc/apache# /etc/init.d/apache restart
> Restarting apache daemon... failed.
>
> Am I putting that in the wrong place? I just read a bit in perl.apache.org
> and it looks ok...to me.
>
> I'm using Debain Linux 2.1r3
>
> Thanks,
> J.

under debian you can check your configuration using
command :
apachectl configtest

it can give you some usefull info of your configuration.
Re: <Location> [ In reply to ]
> under debian you can check your configuration using
> command :
> apachectl configtest

you can also use httpd -t.

one other trick is to run httpd -X (stays in the foreground).
this will report to the screen on most oddities.

--
Steven Lembark 2930 W. Palmer St.
Chicago, IL 60647