Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: HTTP and MPM support [ In reply to ]
On 1/28/2019 1:53 PM, Mark Blackman wrote:

> https://perldoc.perl.org/threads.html#WARNING? Threads are discouraged
> in Perl these days

Yes, that is indeed what the documentation says; however, there is a far
cry between "Perl is single-threaded by design and history and has no
reliable support for threading" and "use of threads is discouraged in perl".

Looking back to the original discussion that led to that caveat
https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2014/03/msg213382.html
a good summary of why it is there is:

"The patch came about because unmanaged expectations of support are
causing social problems"

And further discussion about it
https://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=1107534 has a similar insight:

"that this particular formulation is just smoke and mirrors to repel
'annoying newbies"

Then in this bug discussing the verbiage
https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=133021 a developer comments:

"The fact is that threads work, they are maintained, and they currently
do not have any bugs preventing their use."

Basically, perl threads are heavyweight, not lightweight, and use of
non-thread safe Perl code whether your own or in third-party modules
will cause potentially nondeterministic problems. The warning is
basically there to scare away people who don't have sufficient expertise
to make it work and will likely come complain and ask for help with
something the developers don't want to have to explain over and over again.

Back when I was running DCE/DFS and maintaining the perl modules on top
of that, I used threaded perl heavily with no issues. As long as the
mechanism of and caveats regarding Perl threads are understood, and
there is a justifiable reason to be using them rather than some other
construct, discouraged is not deprecated nor unavailable/unreliable.
Re: HTTP and MPM support [ In reply to ]
> On 28 Jan 2019, at 23:00, Paul B. Henson <henson@acm.org> wrote:
>
> On 1/28/2019 1:53 PM, Mark Blackman wrote:
>> https://perldoc.perl.org/threads.html#WARNING Threads are discouraged in Perl these days
>
> Yes, that is indeed what the documentation says; however, there is a far cry between "Perl is single-threaded by design and history and has no reliable support for threading" and "use of threads is discouraged in perl".
>
> Looking back to the original discussion that led to that caveat https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2014/03/msg213382.html a good summary of why it is there is:
>
> "The patch came about because unmanaged expectations of support are causing social problems"
>
> And further discussion about it https://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=1107534 has a similar insight:
>
> "that this particular formulation is just smoke and mirrors to repel 'annoying newbies"
>
> Then in this bug discussing the verbiage https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=133021 a developer comments:
>
> "The fact is that threads work, they are maintained, and they currently do not have any bugs preventing their use."
>
> Basically, perl threads are heavyweight, not lightweight, and use of non-thread safe Perl code whether your own or in third-party modules will cause potentially nondeterministic problems. The warning is basically there to scare away people who don't have sufficient expertise to make it work and will likely come complain and ask for help with something the developers don't want to have to explain over and over again.
>
> Back when I was running DCE/DFS and maintaining the perl modules on top of that, I used threaded perl heavily with no issues. As long as the mechanism of and caveats regarding Perl threads are understood, and there is a justifiable reason to be using them rather than some other construct, discouraged is not deprecated nor unavailable/unreliable.

"Threads are implemented in a way that make them easy to misuse." == "single threaded by design” in my book, but your mileage may vary. I believe threads were retrofitted to Perl and I see very little use of threads in the wild myself. Relying on threads in Perl with real-world third-party XS modules that aren’t thread-safe is equivalent to unreliable. Base Perl might be safe enough, but nobody runs real-world apps with pure Perl alone IME.

I am glad you made threads work well in production, but I suspect you’re in a minority.

- Mark
Re: HTTP and MPM support [ In reply to ]
We also use threads without any problem in production. Main use is sharing
caches so that multiple mod_perl interpreters don'teach store the same
cached information. Following a few simple and documented rules, we've had
no issues with using threads.

Re: HTTP and MPM support [ In reply to ]
We've used Cache::FastMmap at my work to share data between mod_perl
processes. We did not consider using threads because they're not
lightweight.
What the rules you guys are following when it comes to using threads?

Re: HTTP and MPM support [ In reply to ]
We use Redis to share information between mod_perl processes(including our
HTTP sessions). This has the added advantage of allowing all servers in a
cluster to share the same session/cache.

--
John Dunlap
*CTO | Lariat *

*Direct:*
*john@lariat.co <john@lariat.co>*

*Customer Service:*
877.268.6667
support@lariat.co
Re: HTTP and MPM support [ In reply to ]
The issue, at least for us, has very little to do with static files as we
are already serving them from a CDN(AWS Cloudfront). We have a very large
ember.js application which, on our more complicated screens, can hit the
server 5+ times fetching data just to render the page(all 5+ requests are
initiated simultaneously). We follow a SOFEA(Service Oriented Front End
Architecture) design pattern so we try to build a web service API in
mod_perl and then call it from ember-data. We can then tell our customers
that anything they can do through our UI can also be done through our API.
This helps us kill 2 birds with 1 stone. However, this also means that we
can't create web service endpoints which have a 1:1 correspondence with our
UI and we often have to hit the server 5-6 times to render the page(once
for each drop down box, once per data grid, etc). In this use case, the
concurrency limitations of mod_perl and http/1.1 have become an issue for
us. We've tried throwing bigger servers and memory caches at the problem
but that isn't always enough at peak hours. It's rare that a week goes by
that someone doesn't report slowness at one point or another. Our best
remaining options are to decrease the number of customers(our application
uses a sharded tenancy model) on each server or attempt to scale
horizontally(which would require some rework to stop storing files on the
web server) and both options increase our hosting costs. We've had
extensive discussions about this problem internally and, In the absence of
a better MPM and http/2 support, our best option appears to be putting a
more performant web server in front of Apache, proxying dynamic requests to
Apache, and re-writing our more commonly used endpoints in a language with
a better concurrency model. However, taking that step would effectively
begin our migration away from perl. I know mod_perl has a lot of features
that aren't available in other languages but none of them are an absolute
necessity in our use case and I will be unable to justify staying on
mod_perl if it means ceding fundamental technical advantages to our
competitors. I was hopeful that sponsoring some development could improve
mod_perl's concurrency model but if mod_perl and http/2 are "fundamentally
incompatible", as Mark said, then perhaps we have outgrown mod_perl.

Re: HTTP and MPM support [ In reply to ]
In message <CAC5eUSvhg5dntxE3VawwSROOrY2K4v4mfxALC9yq1JOYVTOFxg@mail.gmail.com>
, John Dunlap writes:
>extensive discussions about this problem internally and, In the absence of
>a better MPM and http/2 support, our best option appears to be putting a
>more performant web server in front of Apache, proxying dynamic requests to

Please us know using a lighter weight http/2 reverse proxy impacts
your performance.

John
groenveld@acm.org
Re: HTTP and MPM support [ In reply to ]
I can tell you that at least some of the PMC members are on this list.
But I can also tell you that there is essentially no development going
on right now. The PMC is essentially idle, and there aren't any plans to
do anything with regards to improving support for newer MPM's. That
said, the project is open source, and if there are people or companies
out there with the skills and desire to work on those features, things
can get merged, and people can get added to the PMC, or as project
commiters to enable that.

Adam

Re: HTTP and MPM support [ In reply to ]
I would like to add my voice to (at least) Russel's and Sive's.
Our situation (and I understand most of the non-Perl-PMC's interventors' in this thread is
similar) is :
- we are interested in the future development of mod_perl, and are willing to "support" or
"sponsor" such development
- we understand that nobody is actively working on mod_perl currently. What we do not
know/understand clearly is "why not ?", and how to possibly change this situation
- we all have some programming resources available, but none of which have the current
competences that we feel are necessary to undertake such development efficiently in the
short term. That is because our organisations are mostly *users* of mod_perl, in the
course of our main activity, which is to develop end-user-oriented application software,
of which a part is currently based on Apache and mod_perl.
- we know that there are people in the mod_perl PMC which do have such competences. We do
not know about their practical availability/willingness to do so.
- we have no hands-on experience of such kinds of open-source, "free" development
projects, and we do not really know "what makes them tick"
- we all have some form of possible contribution in mind and among our possibilities, but
so far, short apparently of providing ourselves some qualified programming staff to do the
work (as Adam mentions below, and William did before him), it does not seem that there is
any obvious avenue open to do so.

To wrap this up somewhat naively and roughly : if we just wanted to pour some money in
such a project, to revive the interest of the current group of people which do have the
competences and experience to work on this efficiently, how would we go about it ?
Or is this not possible/practical/sufficient ?
Could someone of the mod_perl PMC (or the Apache Foundation) take the lead about something
like this, and somehow ask the right questions, and put together a proposal that could
lead to such a "revival" of the Apache/mod_perl project ?
I believe that we could all collectively start by making a financial contribution to such
a preliminary effort, if that is also what it takes to get it going.

Re: HTTP and MPM support [ In reply to ]
Hello all,

we feel in the same situation.

We are using mod_perl mostly as users and all of our production business
activity is based and rely on perl / mod_perl.

We are able to secure finance funds, hardware and people hands( perl ,
DevOps ) to support mod_perl project and secure it's future.

I'm not familiar with the oraganisation and logsitics behind mod_perl
development,but what André Warnier propose sounds resonable.

This Feb we was at FOSDEM 2019, Belgium, I was very sad because of lag
of any serios interes, devrooms or presentaions for perl.

It was only one presentaion for perl:
https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/perl11/ , author Will the Chill
Braswell.

Great Job Will.

Mod_perl is great implementation and it will be shame for all of us (
mod_perl users ) to leave it die because of all modern tendencies :)

Cheers
--
Rumen Palov
CTO

Re: HTTP and MPM support [ In reply to ]
Hi!

about André’s post, I agree 100 % .

> I believe that we could all collectively start by making a financial contribution to such a preliminary effort, if that is also what it takes to get it going.
yes!!

Sive

1 2  View All