The last update of libapreq2 was in 2010. I'm aware that not every library has to be updated and frankly I'm pleased that it still works. However, before I make a permanent switch to Apache 2.4, I was wondering if anyone doing a similar upgrade experienced problems using libapreq2 and what alternative(s) they chose.

Thank you.

John
Re: Question about Apache 2.4 and libapreq2 (Apache2::Request) [ In reply to ]
We've been using apreq with 2.4 for two years without issue at work. I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with it on any version of httpd 2.x.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Question about Apache 2.4 and libapreq2 (Apache2::Request) [ In reply to ]
There was a new release candidate over a month ago, and it is available at https://home.apache.org/~issac/libapreq2-2.14.tar.gz .

Regards,

Jie

Re: Question about Apache 2.4 and libapreq2 (Apache2::Request) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 20:06:41 +0000 (UTC)
JW <gava_g@yahoo.com> wrote:

> before I make a permanent switch to Apache 2.4, I was wondering if anyone doing a similar upgrade experienced problems using libapreq2 and what alternative(s) they chose.

You are more likely to encounter problems with Apache than libapreq.

They changed quite a few things, notably the 'Allow from all' and 'Deny from all' directives, replaced by 'Require all granted/denied', that you have to modify for all your sites; I was also affected by a change in the running order of filters (mod_deflate ran before my custom outputfilter in 2.4).

Everything running smoothly since those were fixed across several different virtual hosts.

--
Bien ? vous, Vincent Veyron

https://marica.fr/
Logiciel de suivi des contentieux juridiques, des sinistres d'assurance et des contrats
Re: Question about Apache 2.4 and libapreq2 (Apache2::Request) [ In reply to ]
That release was canceled due to lack of votes, but regardless there was
very little effective difference between that and 2.13 - mostly around
tests, docs and build scripts. 2.13 should run just fine on 2.4

Issac

Re: Question about Apache 2.4 and libapreq2 (Apache2::Request) [ In reply to ]
JW <gava_g@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  before I make a permanent switch to Apache 2.4, I was wondering if anyone doing a similar upgrade experienced problems using libapreq2 and what alternative(s) they chose.

You are more likely to encounter problems with Apache than libapreq.

They changed quite a few things, notably the 'Allow from all' and 'Deny from all' directives, replaced by 'Require all granted/denied', that you have to modify for all your sites; I was also affected by a change in the running order of filters (mod_deflate ran before my custom outputfilter in 2.4).

Everything running smoothly since those were fixed across several different virtual hosts.

--
                    Bien à vous, Vincent Veyron

https://marica.fr/
Logiciel de suivi des contentieux juridiques, des sinistres d'assurance et des contrats

Vincent,Thanks for the information, will keep those points in mind when I make the switch. Happy to hear your move to 2.4 has been successful.

Cheers,John
Re: Question about Apache 2.4 and libapreq2 (Apache2::Request) [ In reply to ]
Hi,
Back in January I was planning on moving to Apache 2.4+mod_perl+libapreq2
from Apache 2.2+mod_perl+libapreq2. I'd asked if anyone had problems doing a similar
move -- the answer was no. Thank you again to everyone who replied my earlier post.

It's been over a month since moving to Apache 2.4. It was fairly straightforward and requiredlittle code to be updated, most of it Apache config. Everything runs as it did before the update and I've
had no problems. The one function that didn't 'work' is described below.

This mod_perl server is behind a proxy on the same machine. Under Apache 2.2, $r->remote_ip()
returned 127.0.0.1 and not the user's actual IP.  So, a PerlPostReadRequestHandler extracted the user's
IP address from the X-Forwarded-For header and set it with $r->remote_ip( $ip ).

In Apache 2.4 (and mod_perl now) $c->remote_ip is split into $r->useragent_ip and $c->client_ip:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/developer/new_api_2_4.html
But, $r->useragent_ip (wrongly) gives me 127.0.0.1. Perhaps this'll be fixed at some point (unlessI'm doing something wrong). So, for now, as above, the IP is extracted from X-Forwarded-For
and set with $r->useragent_ip( $ip ).

I was asked by one of the earlier responders to share my experience with the move to Apache 2.4,in case there were others in the same boat. So, if there are, jump right in and good luck!
Cheers,
John
Re: Question about Apache 2.4 and libapreq2 (Apache2::Request) [ In reply to ]
* JW <gava_g@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 03:53:27 +0000
> From: JW <gava_g@yahoo.com>
> To: "modperl@perl.apache.org" <modperl@perl.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Question about Apache 2.4 and libapreq2 (Apache2::Request)
>
> Hi,
> Back in January I was planning on moving to Apache 2.4+mod_perl+libapreq2
> from Apache 2.2+mod_perl+libapreq2. I'd asked if anyone had problems doing a similar
> move -- the answer was no. Thank you again to everyone who replied my earlier post.?
>
> It's been over a month since moving to Apache 2.4. It was fairly straightforward and requiredlittle code to be updated, most of it Apache config. Everything runs as it did before the update and I've
> had no problems. The one function that didn't 'work' is described below.
>
> This mod_perl server is behind a proxy on the same machine. Under Apache 2.2, $r->remote_ip()
> returned 127.0.0.1 and not the user's actual IP.? So, a PerlPostReadRequestHandler extracted the user's
> IP address from the X-Forwarded-For header and set it with $r->remote_ip( $ip ).
>
> In Apache 2.4 (and mod_perl now) $c->remote_ip is split into $r->useragent_ip and $c->client_ip:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/developer/new_api_2_4.html
> But, $r->useragent_ip (wrongly) gives me 127.0.0.1. Perhaps this'll be fixed at some point (unlessI'm doing something wrong). So, for now, as above, the IP is extracted from X-Forwarded-For
> and set with $r->useragent_ip( $ip ).

You seem to be using an old version of mod_perl, for I remember I had to use "$r->useragent_addr->ip_get();" to get at the user's real address with the latest version of mod_perl.

Regards,

Jie

Re: Question about Apache 2.4 and libapreq2 (Apache2::Request) [ In reply to ]
* JW <gava_g@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This mod_perl server is behind a proxy on the same machine. Under Apache 2.2, $r->remote_ip()
> returned 127.0.0.1 and not the user's actual IP.? So, a PerlPostReadRequestHandler extracted the user's
> IP address from the X-Forwarded-For header and set it with $r->remote_ip( $ip ).
>
> In Apache 2.4 (and mod_perl now) $c->remote_ip is split into $r->useragent_ip and $c->client_ip:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/developer/new_api_2_4.html
> But, $r->useragent_ip (wrongly) gives me 127.0.0.1. Perhaps this'll be fixed at some point (unlessI'm doing something wrong). So, for now, as above, the IP is extracted from X-Forwarded-For
> and set with $r->useragent_ip( $ip ).
>
> I was asked by one of the earlier responders to share my experience with the move to Apache 2.4,in case there were others in the same boat. So, if there are, jump right in and good luck!

You might want to configure mod_remote_ip for this:

RemoteIPHeader X-Forwarded-For
RemoteIPInternalProxy address.of.your.proxy
or
RemoteIPTrustedProxy address.of.your.proxy

Regards,

Jie
Re: Question about Apache 2.4 and libapreq2 (Apache2::Request) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 9:53 PM, JW <gava_g@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's been over a month since moving to Apache 2.4. It was fairly
> straightforward and required
> little code to be updated, most of it Apache config. Everything runs as it
> did before the update and I've
> had no problems. The one function that didn't 'work' is described below.
>
> This mod_perl server is behind a proxy on the same machine. Under Apache
> 2.2, $r->remote_ip()
> returned 127.0.0.1 and not the user's actual IP. So, a
> PerlPostReadRequestHandler extracted the user's
> IP address from the X-Forwarded-For header and set it with $r->remote_ip(
> $ip ).
>
> In Apache 2.4 (and mod_perl now) $c->remote_ip is split into
> $r->useragent_ip and $c->client_ip:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/developer/new_api_2_4.html
> But, $r->useragent_ip (wrongly) gives me 127.0.0.1. Perhaps this'll be fixed
> at some point (unless
> I'm doing something wrong). So, for now, as above, the IP is extracted from
> X-Forwarded-For
> and set with $r->useragent_ip( $ip ).

Keep in mind you can't use r->useragent_ip until the request is created, e.g.
the create request hook is not a good place to try this (we actually had to
work around a crash related to this behavior in httpd's sources.) After the
read_request phase, this information will be finalized (provided that the
mod_remoteip config is correct).

It seems some code was expecting to read the useragent_ip in a very early
phase of connection handling, although the headers to populate it for the
request had not even been read off the wire :) So now, all attempts to read
this too-early will result in the c->client_ip values.

Here's when the action happens;
ap_hook_post_read_request(remoteip_modify_request, NULL, NULL, APR_HOOK_FIRST);
Re: Question about Apache 2.4 and libapreq2 (Apache2::Request) [ In reply to ]
This has occurred in multiple contexts, including throwing segfaults in the
modperl test framework (connection handler, so no req_rec.)

Wondering if remoteip might be able to run a little bit earlier? This is all
relevant to what we are discussing about PROXY protocol enhancements.

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 6:28 PM, JW <gava_g@yahoo.com> wrote:
> ________________________________

Yes, it seems PerlPostReadRequestHandler was too early. $r->useragent_ip()
gives the remote ip with the PerlTransHandler and later stages. Thanks!
Re: Question about Apache 2.4 and libapreq2 (Apache2::Request) [ In reply to ]
Don't know the answer to your question about remoteip ...
However, what I noted is that the Apache remoteip module,
when configured with "RemoteIPHeader X-Forwarded-For", deletes the
X-Forwarded-For header.
In the PerlPostReadRequestHandler stage, the X-Forwarded-For headerexists and it seems Apache has yet to use the X-Forwarded-For value as
 $r->useragent_ip gives 127.0.0.1.
In the next stage, PerlTransHandler, a call to $r->useragent_ip() gives the
correct remote ip, but the X-Forwarded-For header is no longer available.

Re: Question about Apache 2.4 and libapreq2 (Apache2::Request) [ In reply to ]
Yes, that's an artifact of the phase in which we handle the remoteip
transposition. It could be slightly earlier which is why I raised the
question to the httpd dev community.

Re: Question about Apache 2.4 and libapreq2 (Apache2::Request) [ In reply to ]
On 19 January 2017 at 14:25, Issac Goldstand <margol@beamartyr.net> wrote:
> That release was canceled due to lack of votes, but regardless there was
> very little effective difference between that and 2.13 - mostly around
> tests, docs and build scripts. 2.13 should run just fine on 2.4

Somehow, it only came to my attention yesterday that 2.14 never
officially got released. That's a great shame because 2.13 doesn't
build out-of-the-box on Windows, at least not with httpd-2.4, whereas
2.14 does.

Is there any chance of resurrecting it, or else just going for a new
release numbered 2.15?