Mailing List Archive

Recommended Linux distribution for LAMP/mod_perl
I've been trying to migrate a site with a lot of Perl legacy code running under Apache 2.2 and mod_perl. The server I was migrating to uses CentOS 7, and the default Apache 2.4 and perl 5.16 seem unusually difficult to configure. I'm not even able to get CGI scripts to run. In the past I've built Perl, Apache and mod_perl from source, but that seems like a lot of unnecessary work. Ideally I'd like to use the stock Apache and Perl from the distribution, and just install CPAN modules, data and config files and go. I'm curious if people here find a particular Linux distribution Perl and mod_perl friendly, as the RedHat and CentOS distributions seem pretty hostile. CentOS 7 has a third-party module of mod_perl 2.0.8 but if I can't get CGI working correctly I don't really trust it.

Should I just assume building everything in the LAMP stack from source is the way to go?

Dan
Re: Recommended Linux distribution for LAMP/mod_perl [ In reply to ]
You're going to be better off with Debian than you will be with CentOS
because Debian actually ships with precompiled mod_perl packages.

--
John Dunlap
*CTO | Lariat *

*Direct:*
*john@lariat.co <john@lariat.co>*

*Customer Service:*
877.268.6667
support@lariat.co
Re: Recommended Linux distribution for LAMP/mod_perl [ In reply to ]
On 10/03/2016 01:09 PM, John Dunlap wrote:
> You're going to be better off with Debian than you will be with CentOS
> because Debian actually ships with precompiled mod_perl packages.

manjaro with openrc

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

Re: Recommended Linux distribution for LAMP/mod_perl [ In reply to ]
We tend to now use Ubuntu LTS set ups for our webservers - currently a
mix of 12.04, 14.04 and 16.04 depening on which part of the production
cycle we are on (yes we have at least 60 for approx 120 different
websites)...

Re: Recommended Linux distribution for LAMP/mod_perl [ In reply to ]
We went through a bit of an tricky patch when Ubuntu prematurely switched
from Apache 2.2 to 2.4 (with major changes needed for mod_perl to work),
like 6-12months before it was ready.

But otherwise, I have not had any major issues with ubuntu and
apache/mod_perl.

*Lathan Bidwell*Web Programmer
Division of Integrated Marketing & Communication
Andrews University

269-471-6313
*office*www.andrews.edu

"Seek Knowledge. Affirm Faith. Change the World."

Re: Recommended Linux distribution for LAMP/mod_perl [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 3 Oct 2016 17:08:09 +0000 (UTC)
" daniel.axtell" <daniel.axtell@snet.net> wrote:

> I'm curious if people here find a particular Linux distribution Perl and mod_perl friendly

7 years of using Debian stable without any problem.

> Should I just assume building everything in the LAMP stack from source is the way to go?

I used to build from source, it gets old after a while if you don't have a real need for it (think backup servers + updates )

Now all I need to do to get up and running is :

apt install apache2-mpm-prefork libapache2-request-perl libapache2-mod-perl2 libapache2-mod-apreq2 apache2.2-common

and from then on :

apt upgrade

--
Bien à vous, Vincent Veyron

https://marica.fr/
Gestion des sinistres assurances, des dossiers contentieux et des contrats pour le service juridique
Re: Recommended Linux distribution for LAMP/mod_perl [ In reply to ]
:

apt install
apache2-mpm-prefork libapache2-request-perl
libapache2-mod-perl2 libapache2-mod-apreq2 apache2.2-common

and from then on :

apt upgrade

Thanks. What version of Debian are you using? I have a Digital Ocean droplet running Ubuntu 16.04.1. When I try the above, I get:

Package apache2.2-common is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
apache2:i386 apache2

Package apache2-mpm-prefork is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source

E: Package 'apache2-mpm-prefork' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'apache2.2-common' has no installation candidate

I gather Ubuntu has deprecated Apache 2.2. Most distributions seem to be using Apache 2.4 for a long time. So I'm wondering if there's an out-of-box way get Apache 2.4 and mod_perl working without building from source. I gather from the docs that mod_perl 2.0.9 has problems with Perl 5.22. Centos 7 doesn't even offer mod_perl from the default repository, there's a 2.0.8 version from a third-party repository but I can't get anything to actually execute.

I gather that with virtual servers like the DigitalOcean droplets and Amazon EC2 instances, once you build everything from source it's easy to replicate the image, so maybe that's the next best thing.

Dan
Re: Recommended Linux distribution for LAMP/mod_perl [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 12:40:14PM +0000, daniel.axtell wrote:
> On Mon, 10/3/16, Vincent Veyron <vv.lists@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Now all I need to do to get up and running is
> :
>
> apt install
> apache2-mpm-prefork libapache2-request-perl
> libapache2-mod-perl2 libapache2-mod-apreq2 apache2.2-common
>

> and from then on :
>
> apt upgrade
>

> Thanks. What version of Debian are you using? I have a Digital Ocean droplet running Ubuntu 16.04.1. When I try the above, I get:
>
> Package apache2.2-common is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
> However the following packages replace it:
> apache2:i386 apache2
>
> Package apache2-mpm-prefork is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
>
> E: Package 'apache2-mpm-prefork' has no installation candidate
> E: Package 'apache2.2-common' has no installation candidate
>
> I gather Ubuntu has deprecated Apache 2.2. Most distributions seem to be using Apache 2.4 for a long time. So I'm wondering if there's an out-of-box way get Apache 2.4 and mod_perl working without building from source. I gather from the docs that mod_perl 2.0.9 has problems with Perl 5.22. Centos 7 doesn't even offer mod_perl from the default repository, there's a 2.0.8 version from a third-party repository but I can't get anything to actually execute.
>
> I gather that with virtual servers like the DigitalOcean droplets and Amazon EC2 instances, once you build everything from source it's easy to replicate the image, so maybe that's the next best thing.

Hi,

Debian has provided a version of mod_perl (libapache2-mod-perl2) which
(I believe) works with Apache 2.4 since the switch in Debian 8 - and it
looks like this is also the case in Ubuntu 14.04 onwards. The command
you tried above won't work for any distro with Apache 2.4 for obvious
reasons but you should be able to get up and running with the packaged
version on Ubuntu 16.04 by omitting the -common package (I'd imagine
it'd be pulled in anyway).

Dominic.
Re: Recommended Linux distribution for LAMP/mod_perl [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 12:40:14 +0000 (UTC)
" daniel.axtell" <daniel.axtell@snet.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 10/3/16, Vincent Veyron <vv.lists@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Now all I need to do to get up and running is
> :
>
> apt install
> apache2-mpm-prefork libapache2-request-perl
> libapache2-mod-perl2 libapache2-mod-apreq2 apache2.2-common
>

> and from then on :
>
> apt upgrade
>

> Thanks. What version of Debian are you using? I have a Digital Ocean droplet running Ubuntu 16.04.1.

I use Debian stable, so whatever the current version is (8.5 now). I tried Ubuntu a while back and found they complicated things. Particularly for a server, I would suggest Debian instead (for that matter I've been perfectly content with my workstation running Debian stable, this way my development environnement matches my servers').

>When I try the above, I get:
> Package apache2.2-common is not available, but is referred to by another package.

Duh! my bad, this was taken from my install notes, which date from 2014; sorry about that.

As Dominic wrote, I think you can do away with the apache2.X-common bit.

> I gather that with virtual servers like the DigitalOcean droplets and Amazon EC2 instances, once you build everything from source it's easy to replicate the image, so maybe that's the next best thing.

Depends on your use case. If you have to create multiple instances frequently, maybe so, although there are configuration tools as well (Puppet/Ansible/Chef/Salt...).

I'm too small for that, it's easier for me to just write a few basic commands like the one I posted, and my machines last a _long_ time. Also I work with bare metal, I haven't tested virtualized servers at all.

Re: Recommended Linux distribution for LAMP/mod_perl [ In reply to ]
That's exactly what I do as well. Debian on both the server and on the
development machine.