Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Alternatives to CGI perl module [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Ruben Safir <ruben@mrbrklyn.com> wrote:

> > GD::Graph is something that is not going to kill me (like if CGI.pm
> became
> > unavailable) but it is certainly a concern.
> >
> > Are there any alternatives to it?
> >
> imagemajic maybe

It also make sense to try something like this:
https://www.mathjax.org/

Seems modern browsers may allow to move rendering to client side that also
may decrease load on backend.

Regards,
Michael Bochkaryov
Re: Alternatives to CGI perl module [ In reply to ]
This mathml and asciimath is extremely interesting! Thank you! You are
awesome!

I was a little unclear what browsers it works with, I would have to do some
testing. I hope that it is compatible with all modern browsers and cell
phones and such. If not it would not work, but if it is then I would be
delighted! I use something similar to asciimath internally, that I
developed 12 years ago, should not be hard to translate as I parse all
formulas deeply.

Re: Alternatives to CGI perl module [ In reply to ]
Mathjax is the best for math display on the web. The mathematics
professional societies use it, as do major projects like webwork (
github.com/openwebwork, webwork.maa.org) and Sage (sagemath.org).

Re: Alternatives to CGI perl module [ In reply to ]
There's compatibility list - seems quite good to use in production:
http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/misc/browser-compatibility.html

Re: Alternatives to CGI perl module [ In reply to ]
that would require that the calculation also be done on the client side.

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 07:06:15PM -0700, Michael Bochkaryov wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Ruben Safir <ruben@mrbrklyn.com> wrote:
>
> > > GD::Graph is something that is not going to kill me (like if CGI.pm
> > became
> > > unavailable) but it is certainly a concern.
> > >
> > > Are there any alternatives to it?
> > >
> > imagemajic maybe
> >

> It also make sense to try something like this:
> https://www.mathjax.org/
>
> Seems modern browsers may allow to move rendering to client side that also
> may decrease load on backend.
>

> Regards,
> Michael Bochkaryov

http://www.mrbrklyn.com