Mailing List Archive

Looking for solution to Apache2::AuthCookieDBI authentication on Apache > 2.4
Hi, I've taken a stab at updating Apache2::AuthCookieDBI myself as per:

http://search.cpan.org/~mschout/Apache-AuthCookie/README.apache-2.4.pod

I've changed the parent of Apache2::AuthCookieDBI to
Apache2_4::AuthCookie but that doesn't seem to work, even with the
http.conf changes noted:

PerlAddAuthzProvider user Apache2::AuthCookieDBI->authz_handler

<FilesMatch "\.(pl)$">
AuthType Apache2::AuthCookieDBI
AuthName berlin3
PerlAuthenHandler Apache2::AuthCookieDBI->authenticate
require valid-user
</FilesMatch>

# Login location.
<FilesMatch LOGIN>
AuthType Apache2::AuthCookieDBI
AuthName berlin3
SetHandler perl-script
PerlResponseHandler Apache2::AuthCookieDBI->login
</FilesMatch>

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Doing something completely wrong? Is
there anybody with knowledge and experience with the 2.4 authentication
API that I could hire to update Apache2::AuthCookieDBI?

Thanks for any insight,

Tosh

--
McIntosh Cooey - Twelve Hundred Group LLC - http://www.1200group.com/
Re: Looking for solution to Apache2::AuthCookieDBI authentication on Apache > 2.4 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 14:40:43 +0200 Tosh Cooey <tosh@1200group.com> wrote:

> Am I barking up the wrong tree? Doing something completely wrong? Is
> there anybody with knowledge and experience with the 2.4
> authentication API that I could hire to update Apache2::AuthCookieDBI?
>
> Thanks for any insight,

No insight, but I registered a ticket for this issue some time ago:

- Vegard V -
Re: Looking for solution to Apache2::AuthCookieDBI authentication on Apache > 2.4 [ In reply to ]
Hi.

On 24.08.2016 14:40, Tosh Cooey wrote:
> Hi, I've taken a stab at updating Apache2::AuthCookieDBI myself as per:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~mschout/Apache-AuthCookie/README.apache-2.4.pod
>
> I've changed the parent of Apache2::AuthCookieDBI to Apache2_4::AuthCookie but that
> doesn't seem to work,

can you say /what/ doesn't work, providing some details, logfile snippets etc..
I am interested in the issue, and I may be able to help, but without details it's hard.

Re: Looking for solution to Apache2::AuthCookieDBI authentication on Apache > 2.4 [ In reply to ]
An FYI for others; the maintainer of Apache2::AuthCookieDBI replied to
me with:

"I have not done any work on the module in a long time, and don't feel I
will put in much in the near future. It might be time to pass on
maintenance of the module to someone else.

Among other issues I no longer regularly work in an environment where
this module is used so i have little or no easy way of field-testing it.

I would be more than happy to review pull request for changes submitted
on github though. The module is at:
https://github.com/matisse/Apache-AuthCookieDBI
and you or someone else can fork it, make changes in the forked copy and
then submit a pull request for me to review and eventually merge. I will
then take care f publishing a new release on CPAN."

So I guess that's it, although I suspect the functionality of the moduel
can be replaced with a combination of mod_authn_dbd and mod_auth_form at
the Apache level. This still doesn't resolve my issues since I built
additional functionality on top of his module...

Tosh

PS. He gave permission to forward his mail.

--
McIntosh Cooey - Twelve Hundred Group LLC - http://www.1200group.com/
Re: Looking for solution to Apache2::AuthCookieDBI authentication on Apache > 2.4 [ In reply to ]
On 8/24/16 7:40 AM, Tosh Cooey wrote:
> Hi, I've taken a stab at updating Apache2::AuthCookieDBI myself as per:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~mschout/Apache-AuthCookie/README.apache-2.4.pod
>
> I've changed the parent of Apache2::AuthCookieDBI to
> Apache2_4::AuthCookie but that doesn't seem to work, even with the
> http.conf changes noted:

Hard to know what exactly doesn't work from what you've given us. What
is in the error log for example?

> PerlAddAuthzProvider user Apache2::AuthCookieDBI->authz_handler

You can remove this line. apache provides a "user" authz handler
already. You only need PerlAddAuthzProvider if you have required
something other than "user" or valid-user.

There is a new version of Apache2::AuthCookie that will hit CPAN later
today that addresses a few issues (notably, directory indexes were
broken under Apache 2.4), but that doesn't sound like what you have been
seeing.

Michael Schout