Mailing List Archive

ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally
ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally
Dear Apache Enthusiast,

As you are no doubt already aware, we will be holding ApacheCon in
Seville, Spain, the week of November 14th, 2016. The call for papers
(CFP) for this event is now open, and will remain open until
September 9th.

The event is divided into two parts, each with its own CFP. The first
part of the event, called Apache Big Data, focuses on Big Data
projects and related technologies.

Website: http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apache-big-data-europe
CFP:
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apache-big-data-europe/program/cfp

The second part, called ApacheCon Europe, focuses on the Apache
Software Foundation as a whole, covering all projects, community
issues, governance, and so on.

Website: http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-europe
CFP: http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-europe/program/cfp

ApacheCon is the official conference of the Apache Software
Foundation, and is the best place to meet members of your project and
other ASF projects, and strengthen your project's community.

If your organization is interested in sponsoring ApacheCon, contact Rich Bowen
at evp@apache.org  ApacheCon is a great place to find the brightest
developers in the world, and experts on a huge range of technologies.

I hope to see you in Seville!
==================================

Melissaon behalf of the ApacheCon Team
Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Is Apache modperl still in active development?

thanks.

Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally [ In reply to ]
* yhpeng@orange.fr <yhpeng@orange.fr> wrote:

> Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 11:17:01 +0800
> From: yhpeng@orange.fr
> To: modperl@perl.apache.org
> Subject: Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally
>
> Hi,
>
> Is Apache modperl still in active development?

Apparently, yes.

Regards,

Jie

Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally [ In reply to ]
so, will go for support of perl6?

Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally [ In reply to ]
* yhpeng@orange.fr <yhpeng@orange.fr> wrote:

> Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 11:26:48 +0800
> From: yhpeng@orange.fr
> To: modperl@perl.apache.org
> Subject: Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally
>
> so, will go for support of perl6?

I wouldn't count on planning that far. No implementation of perl6 is complete, 16 years after Larry Wall announced the language.

-Jie

Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally [ In reply to ]
On 7/19/2016 4:26 AM, yhpeng@orange.fr wrote:
> so, will go for support of perl6?

Probably once it becomes more prevelant - the perl6 community is still
relatively small
{moving current perl 5 codebases to it will be none-trivial} and most
will not see the
gain from doing so... It will take time for traction (similar to other
moves like Drupal 7 -> 8)

It is a different language and you have to think differently and code
differently to use...

perl 5 and mod_perl are still going strong... the point is that for the
best part of 20 years
both have been doing well and doing stuff right - they need tweaks here
and there but
you don't need to do huge amounts of development on top of what is
already one of the
best base levels for web development...

Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally [ In reply to ]
On 2016/7/19 16:45, James Smith wrote:
> Probably once it becomes more prevelant - the perl6 community is still
> relatively small
> {moving current perl 5 codebases to it will be none-trivial} and most
> will not see the
> gain from doing so... It will take time for traction (similar to other
> moves like Drupal 7 -> 8)
>
> It is a different language and you have to think differently and code
> differently to use...

Thanks for pointing out that.

> perl 5 and mod_perl are still going strong... the point is that for the
> best part of 20 years
> both have been doing well and doing stuff right - they need tweaks here
> and there but
> you don't need to do huge amounts of development on top of what is
> already one of the
> best base levels for web development...

I have Java programming background, know some modperl development, wrote
several handlers with mp2 which work really well.

but, does modperl have something like JDBC, the database connection pool?

thanks.
Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally [ In reply to ]
* yhpeng@orange.fr <yhpeng@orange.fr> wrote:

> but, does modperl have something like JDBC, the database connection pool?

See http://dbi.perl.org/ .

Regards,

Jie
Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally [ In reply to ]
Jie,

I have been using Apache::DBI, but I don't think it is something like JDBC.

regards.

Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally [ In reply to ]
On 7/19/2016 9:58 AM, yhpeng@orange.fr wrote:
> Jie,
>
> I have been using Apache::DBI, but I don't think it is something like
> JDBC.

Thankfully not - JDBC is one of the biggest nightmares our DBAs face -
if we have
network issues (firewall session timeout e.g.) we have had all sorts of
problems with
oracle jdbc connections.

We actually don't even use Apache::DBI (we are primarily MySQL) as the
"uncontrolled"
caching of connections can lead to problems - flooding database servers
with open
connections, connections failing because of firewall issues. We
explicitly cache (and
reconnect) using DBIx::Connector to cope with the few databases we
explicitly want
vast connections...

Admitedly many of our servers have upward of 30-40 apps on them, talking
to 40-50
different databases (quite often on the same server!)

Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally [ In reply to ]
how about this module for connection caching?
http://search.cpan.org/~timb/DBI-1.636/lib/DBD/Gofer.pm

thanks

Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 16:58:54 +0800
yhpeng@orange.fr wrote:

> On 2016/7/19 16:55, Jie Gao wrote:
> >
> > * yhpeng@orange.fr <yhpeng@orange.fr> wrote:
> >
> >> but, does modperl have something like JDBC, the database connection pool?
> >
> > See http://dbi.perl.org/ .
> >

> I have been using Apache::DBI, but I don't think it is something like JDBC.

Hi,

[Please try not to top-post]

DBI has connect_cached that amounts to a form of pooling.

See also Perrin's comments in this thread :
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/modperl/107021

--
Bien à vous, Vincent Veyron

https://marica.fr/
Gestion des sinistres assurances, des dossiers contentieux et des contrats pour le service juridique
Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally [ In reply to ]
On 07/19/2016 05:37 AM, James Smith wrote:

> On 7/19/2016 9:58 AM, yhpeng@orange.fr wrote:
>> Jie,
>>
>> I have been using Apache::DBI, but I don't think it is something like
>> JDBC.

There is a ODBC driver under DBD if someone wanted to use it (for
whatever reason)

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 19 July 2016 05:19:26 Jie Gao wrote:
> * yhpeng@orange.fr <yhpeng@orange.fr> wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 11:17:01 +0800
> > From: yhpeng@orange.fr
> > To: modperl@perl.apache.org
> > Subject: Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally
> >
> > Thunderbird/45.1.1
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is Apache modperl still in active development?
>
> Apparently, yes.

Really, and when will be released new mod_perl which will be compatible
with *current* perl version, not some pre-historic ;-)?
Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally [ In reply to ]
It isn't undergoing significant changes, but 2.0.9 fixed several bugs and
brought it up-to-date with then-current perl releases a year ago June, and
I understand there is some activity to have it build well with 5.24.

Re: ApacheCon: Getting the word out internally [ In reply to ]
On 2016/7/20 2:07, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> It isn't undergoing significant changes, but 2.0.9 fixed several bugs
> and brought it up-to-date with then-current perl releases a year ago
> June, and I understand there is some activity to have it build well with
> 5.24.

Thanks for the info. I have been using 2.0.4 so I would plan a upgrading.

Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) mod_apreq2-20051231/2.6.0 mod_perl/2.0.4
Perl/v5.10.1 configured