Mailing List Archive

[OT?] How the Perl connects with Apache's C
Sorry if this is too off-topic. The DNS servers here are already down 3
days and my mod_perl books are in a storage room.

I am updating and expanding OpenBSD's lpr/lpd to newer code and adding
things such as IPP and better security, etc.

Oracle did IPP using Apache a long time ago.

I want to go ahead and get things written and tested on Apache first,
since I know it. For this I will write new code and temporarily use some
existing modules for the functions they offer. But existing modules are
almost all object oriented, so I will need to ditch that and write code
that can be converted to C at some point (or maybe not).

So how does my handler module get interpreted and used and re-used after
starting the server? Is it turned into C code or something else?
Sorry, I'd search for some material, but if I can't
use an IP address, most sites won't come up.
If someone has an address where I can download source with just an IP
address, I would appreciate it.

An example of one thing that needs doing. Most programs assume that lp
is the printer to print to. Period. The printcap file can be filled with
all the options for each printer(s), but only lp will be used.
Being able to dynamically change printer lp to have the values from
printer aps4 and running lpc to update things would be great. Change
from 300x300 to 1200x1200 would be fantastic when using a program that
offers no options for running lpr.
Being able to run this from the command line or a nice web browser page
would make life easy.

You can reply to me off-list if this should not be on the mailing list.

Thanks
Chris Bennett
Re: [OT?] How the Perl connects with Apache's C [ In reply to ]
8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4

--
John Dunlap
*CTO | Lariat *

*Direct:*
*john@lariat.co <john@lariat.co>*

*Customer Service:*
877.268.6667
support@lariat.co
Re: [OT?] How the Perl connects with Apache's C [ In reply to ]
Forgot to mention that this isn't just a blah blah question.
I do intend to connect with a base system C file, allowedhost.c and
possibly others also. So I DO want to use any helpful information for an
actual project.

Chris Bennett