Please let me know if you have any problems.

Regards,
Steve
Re: New Windows mod_perl binaries available [ In reply to ]
> For those who are interested, I've now uploaded binary builds of
> mod_perl-2.0.8 and libapreq2-2.13 components compatible with Apache
> Lounge 2.2.24 Build 25 February 2013 (win32) and each of:
>
> * ActivePerl 5.16.3 Build 1603 (x86)
> * Strawberry Perl 5.16.3 Build 1 (32bit)
>
> You can download them from http://people.apache.org/~stevehay/
>
> Please let me know if you have any problems.

Thank you for making these available Steve. It's very helpful to
folks like myself who have trouble reliably generating binaries for
the Microsoft Windows OS, but would like to introduce others to it
who aren't starting out with any of the Unix or Linux OSes.

Are there any plans of getting 64-bit versions compiled too, or is
there some complication with doing this on Windows?

Randolf Richardson - randolf@inter-corporate.com
Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
http://www.inter-corporate.com/
Re: New Windows mod_perl binaries available [ In reply to ]
Randolf Richardson wrote:
>> For those who are interested, I've now uploaded binary builds of
>> mod_perl-2.0.8 and libapreq2-2.13 components compatible with Apache
>> Lounge 2.2.24 Build 25 February 2013 (win32) and each of:
>>
>> * ActivePerl 5.16.3 Build 1603 (x86)
>> * Strawberry Perl 5.16.3 Build 1 (32bit)
>>
>> You can download them from http://people.apache.org/~stevehay/
>>
>> Please let me know if you have any problems.
>
> Thank you for making these available Steve. It's very helpful to
> folks like myself who have trouble reliably generating binaries for
> the Microsoft Windows OS, but would like to introduce others to it
> who aren't starting out with any of the Unix or Linux OSes.

+1
(actually, more than +1, as we are quite a few people here using your binaries)

> Are there any plans of getting 64-bit versions compiled too, or is
> there some complication with doing this on Windows?

Any chance of a version for Activestate Perl 5.14 ? (personally, 32-bit)

Reason : I had also started with 5.16, but then it seems that a lot of modules are not yet
available for that version as ppm, so I reverted back to 5.14 for now.
Re: New Windows mod_perl binaries available [ In reply to ]
Yes, it should be possible to make a 64-bit build as well. I will look
into this in the next week or so. ActivePerl, StrawberryPerl and
ApacheLounge all have 64-bit builds available; I just need to dig out
the right 64-bit compiler to use (ideally the one used by ActivePerl).
I will let you know when I have builds ready.

Re: New Windows mod_perl binaries available [ In reply to ]
No problem! I've just uploaded builds for ActivePerl 1405 (5.14.4) and
StrawberryPerl 5.14.4.1, which you can find in the same location as
before: http://people.apache.org/~stevehay/

Re: New Windows mod_perl binaries available [ In reply to ]
Steve Hay wrote:
> No problem! I've just uploaded builds for ActivePerl 1405 (5.14.4) and
> StrawberryPerl 5.14.4.1, which you can find in the same location as
> before: http://people.apache.org/~stevehay/

Thanks. You had your first customer for all 4 of them 2 minutes ago.
Really grateful.

Can someone get the corresponding page in the mod_perl online docs updated to point to
this, if Steve doesn't mind ?
It would surely save a lot of people a lot of aggravation.
Re: New Windows mod_perl binaries available [ In reply to ]
Hi Steve,

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM, Steve Hay <steve.m.hay@googlemail.com> wrote:
> For those who are interested, I've now uploaded binary builds of
> mod_perl-2.0.8 and libapreq2-2.13 components compatible with Apache
> Lounge 2.2.24 Build 25 February 2013 (win32) and each of:

Thanks for providing these binaries.

Using my mod_perl based application I get apache restarts from time
to time. This is not related to your binary per se (I also have it
with kmx'es mod_perl binaries for perl 5.12) but it is related to
mod_perl on Win32; Linux does not have this.
The bad thing is that I don't have any specific information in the log
file; after some requests, the process just restarts. If I use the
application as CGI, this does not happen; but of course the whole
thing is very slow.

Can you maybe also provide a debug version of mod_perl by rebuilding
mod_perl with MP_DEBUG=1 ?

--
Mike
Re: New Windows mod_perl binaries available [ In reply to ]
This is a known issue related to the winnt MPM. You're likely seeing
your worker segfault. On linux, there are usually extra processes so if
one segfaults there's another process that can step in fast enough. But
on the winnt MPM, there's one master and exactly one multi-threader
worker. So when that worker blows up, the master needs to completely
tear it down, and bring it back up, which is what you're seeing.

Look for a bug in user-code, not in the mod_perl binary.

Issac

Re: New Windows mod_perl binaries available [ In reply to ]
Hi Issac,

Thanks for your response.
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Issac Goldstand <margol@beamartyr.net> wrote:

> This is a known issue related to the winnt MPM. You're likely seeing
> your worker segfault. On linux, there are usually extra processes so if
> one segfaults there's another process that can step in fast enough. But
> on the winnt MPM, there's one master and exactly one multi-threader
> worker. So when that worker blows up, the master needs to completely
> tear it down, and bring it back up, which is what you're seeing.
>
> Look for a bug in user-code, not in the mod_perl binary.

But if the worker 'blows up', this is still caused by some code I run right?
If I set the Apache log level to 'debug' I still see nothing in the
logs except for the restart.

What should I do to find out *what* is causing the restart?
--
Mike
Re: New Windows mod_perl binaries available [ In reply to ]
First of all, see if you can get a stacktrace.

There's also always spreading print/debug statements around - I'm
unfortunately not so up-to-date on the various perl profiling modules
around, but they might be helpful.

Issac

Re: New Windows mod_perl binaries available [ In reply to ]
Hi Issac,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Issac Goldstand <margol@beamartyr.net> wrote:
> First of all, see if you can get a stacktrace.

so how would you recommend I create a stack trace? This has been my
whole problem, the process simply restarts and I don't see why.

> There's also always spreading print/debug statements around - I'm
> unfortunately not so up-to-date on the various perl profiling modules
> around, but they might be helpful.

This is not possible here as I can reproduce it sending X number of
requests to my app. This can be *any* request to *any* part so I have
no chance to find the appropriate part of the app or any of the CPAN
modules it uses. This is why I'm looking for a way to generate some
kind of debug output so I know at least *what* the application does
before it exits.
--
Mike
Re: New Windows mod_perl binaries available [ In reply to ]
64-bit binaries are now uploaded too.

Re: New Windows mod_perl binaries available [ In reply to ]
Do you have an exception-trap at the highest level around your
program? I always have the entire program enclosed within a try-catch
block (using Try::Tiny; even just an eval {} would be better than
nothing), so if any Perl-level exceptions are thrown then they get
caught and logged. It won't trap C-level blow-ups (crashes), though,
but it might help, depending on the problem.

I may have a go at building debug binaries sometime, but you'd also
need debug perl and httpd for the full details. (I've only done
complete debug builds of everything before, not just mod_perl
components for, say, StrawberryPerl...) Which perl/httpd are you using
(where from, and what versions)?

Do you have cut-down sample programs which you can post for others to
reproduce your problem with?

Re: New Windows mod_perl binaries available [ In reply to ]
On 22 February 2015 at 23:43, Steve Hay <steve.m.hay@googlemail.com> wrote:
> For those who are interested, I have uploaded binary 64-bit builds of
> mod_perl-2.0.8 and libapreq2-2.13 components compatible with Apache
> Lounge 2.2.29 Build 02 February 2015 (win64) and each of:
>
> * ActivePerl 5.20.1 Build 2000 (x64)
> * Strawberry Perl 5.20.1 Build 1 (64bit)
>
> and 32-bit builds compatible with Apache Lounge 2.2.29 Build 03
> February 2015 (win32) and:
>
> * Strawberry Perl 5.20.1 Build 1 (32bit, no64)
>
> You can download them from http://people.apache.org/~stevehay/

There are also now builds for 5.18.4 in the same place. As above, the
32-bit Strawberry Perl version is the "no64" build only, and there is
no build for 32-bit ActivePerl.
Re: New Windows mod_perl binaries available [ In reply to ]
That’s great, thanks Steve!

Sent from the depths of my mind on an iPhone

Re: New Windows mod_perl binaries available [ In reply to ]
On 06.09.2017 03:12, Philippe Chiasson wrote:
> That’s great, thanks Steve!

+1
Another recent caller on the list should be very happy too.

RE: New Windows mod_perl binaries available [ In reply to ]
Steve,
Thanks very much! This is a great help and will save me a bunch of time getting the upgraded apache / perl rolled out. Definitely a +1 from me as well.

Thanks,
Lewis