structure `embperl_module' in file
/usr/lib/perl5/auto/Embperl/Embperl.so is garbled - perhaps this is not
an Apache module DSO?

I'm new to Debian/Ubuntu world, not sure what I should do and I'd like
to avoid compiling it from the source if possible. Please help.

- Robert

P.S.1 I understand Apache 2.2 is new on Ubuntu 7.04, perhaps the packge
is for Apache 2.0 and the DSO format has changed?

Re: Embperl on Ubuntu 7.04 / problem [ In reply to ]
RobertCZ dijo [Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 05:37:14PM +0200]:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install Embperl on Ubuntu 7.04, package libemperl-perl
> (2.2.0-1) has the following problem
>
> apache2: Syntax error on line 185 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Syntax
> error on line 4 of /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/zembperl.load: API module
> structure `embperl_module' in file
> /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Embperl/Embperl.so is garbled - perhaps this is not
> an Apache module DSO?
>
> I'm new to Debian/Ubuntu world, not sure what I should do and I'd like
> to avoid compiling it from the source if possible. Please help.
>
> - Robert
>

> P.S.1 I understand Apache 2.2 is new on Ubuntu 7.04, perhaps the packge
> is for Apache 2.0 and the DSO format has changed?

Hi,

You are right on your last appreciation - We had a similar problem in
Debian, for which the fix [1] was as simple as recompiling Embperl
against Apache 2.2 - Ubuntu has also the bug marked as open [2]; I'm
adding the information regarding how to fix it.

Greetings,

[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libembperl-perl/+bug/110588

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23
Fingerprint: 0C79 D2D1 2C4E 9CE4 5973 F800 D80E F35A 8BB5 27AF
Re: Embperl on Ubuntu 7.04 / problem [ In reply to ]
Gunnar Wolf wrote

>> P.S.1 I understand Apache 2.2 is new on Ubuntu 7.04, perhaps the packge
>> is for Apache 2.0 and the DSO format has changed?
>>

> You are right on your last appreciation - We had a similar problem in
> Debian, for which the fix [1] was as simple as recompiling Embperl
> against Apache 2.2 - Ubuntu has also the bug marked as open [2]; I'm
> adding the information regarding how to fix it.
>
> Greetings,
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=395870
>
> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libembperl-perl/+bug/110588

Hmm, I see libembperl-perl (2.2.0-2), excellent you could release it so
fast - but how can I install it? sudo aptitude install says there're no
new packages. Is it in some hiden/not public place or something? I
don't understand aptitude and don't see any relevant command line
switch. Sorry to bother, please help. Thanks.

- Robert
Re: Embperl on Ubuntu 7.04 / problem [ In reply to ]
RobertCZ dijo [Wed, May 02, 2007 at 10:16:14AM +0200]:
> >You are right on your last appreciation - We had a similar problem in
> >Debian, for which the fix [1] was as simple as recompiling Embperl
> >against Apache 2.2 - Ubuntu has also the bug marked as open [2]; I'm
> >adding the information regarding how to fix it.
>
> Hmm, I see libembperl-perl (2.2.0-2), excellent you could release it so
> fast - but how can I install it? sudo aptitude install says there're no
> new packages. Is it in some hiden/not public place or something? I
> don't understand aptitude and don't see any relevant command line
> switch. Sorry to bother, please help. Thanks.

Well... I maintian Debian packages, not Ubuntu ones :) So I cannot do
much about it. And I cannot guarantee you they will be compatible -
Don't mix them.

I mentioned my bug report in the Ubuntu one, but of course, it's up to
the Ubuntu maintainers to fix it. Now, keep in mind that Embperl is in
Ubuntu's "Universe" section, which AFAICT means it's not officially
supported.

Greetings,

Re: Embperl on Ubuntu 7.04 / problem [ In reply to ]
RobertCZ dijo [Wed, May 02, 2007 at 10:16:14AM +0200]:
> Hmm, I see libembperl-perl (2.2.0-2), excellent you could release it so
> fast - but how can I install it? sudo aptitude install says there're no
> new packages. Is it in some hiden/not public place or something? I
> don't understand aptitude and don't see any relevant command line
> switch. Sorry to bother, please help. Thanks.

Hmmm... Rechecking, I came across this other bug report [1], which
shows the Ubuntu maintainer already noted this request. Now, I'm
unsure if this will be included as a fix for the current Ubuntu
version, or only for future ones.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libembperl-perl/+bug/104433