Mailing List Archive

Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error
Wondering if Win32 build is working. Followed the directions on th Embperl website and no luck.

Apache refused to start, popping up an error at the "PerlModule Embperl" directive, so I ran embpexec.bat, which popped up the same error in a windows dialog box.

The error is:
The procedure entry point xmlLoadExtDtdDefaultValue could not be located in the dynamic link library
libxml2.dll.

When running the bat file, I also get the expected error from Dynaloader:

Can't load 'C:/devtools/perl/site/lib/auto/Embperl/Embperl.NoApache.dll' for module Embperl: load_file:The
specified procedure could not be found at C:/devtools/perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
at C:\devtools\perl\bin\embpexec.bat line 37
Compilation failed in require at C:\devtools\perl\bin\embpexec.bat line 37.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\devtools\perl\bin\embpexec.bat line 37.

Versions of the bits:
ActiveState Perl: 5.8.7
Mod_perl 1 (what ever version comes with mod_perl-1.ppd)
Embperl-1.ppd was used
Apache/1.3.34 (Win32)

My libxml2.dll came from theoryx5 (twice, first by Embperl install and second time a manual download), but I also tried a win32 build from the libxml project. Exact same error.

Yes, libxml2.dll is found in the path, other you would get an error that it could not be found.

I did notice someone else posted this problem to the list, but I did not see any follow up solutions.

I have Embperl running on Win32 under AS perl 5.6 from an install I did long ago, but I have to be on 5.8.x for this project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]

> Wondering if Win32 build is working. Followed the directions
> on th Embperl website and no luck.
>
> Apache refused to start, popping up an error at the
> "PerlModule Embperl" directive, so I ran embpexec.bat, which
> popped up the same error in a windows dialog box.
>
> The error is:
> The procedure entry point xmlLoadExtDtdDefaultValue could
> not be located in the dynamic link library
> libxml2.dll.

Looks like a version mismatch, that Embperl is compiled for a different
version of libxml2

Did you have the old libxml2 and libxslt dlls from you 5.6 install? Could
you try these?

If not I can send you mine per private email

Gerald

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]
Looks like I was wrong about the version I had before, it looks like I was running HTML::Embperl on 5.6. I was able to grab the libxml2.dll from that machine, but there is no libxslt.dll.

Now, it gets past the entry point error, but then fails.

Specifically, if run without any input file, embperl.bat complains rightfully so that it has no source file.

Run with any source file (even something like [- $i = 1; -] ) throws another popup error that "perl has generated errors" etc... and that a log file is being created. Not sure what logfile it refers to. The embperl log file is empty.

So, it does seem like a dll mismatch. Any ideas where to go from here or have any dlls I can test?

________________________________

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the libraries Gerald.

Unfortunately, they didn't work either. Now it complains about "the procedure entry point xmlPathOrderDocElems could not be located in the dynamic link library libxml2.dll". Different complaint than the first, but still no library match it seems.

Where does that leave us? Is there a known working win32/perl 5.8.x install you have or are aware of? Is someone else building these binaries for the Embperl project?

Insert 12 dozen more questions that all boil down to what is the next step that we can take here.

________________________________

Please try the attached binaries and let me know if it works

Gerald

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]
Hi Randy,

Hi Randy,

The Embperl-1 Package
(http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/x86/Embperl-1.tar.gz), seems to be a
little out of date (is still 2.0b9) and does not load anymore due to an
updated libxml (see below).

Is there any chance that you compile a new version of the Embperl ppm
package and put it online?

Thanks very much

Gerald

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Gerald Richter wrote:

> Hi Randy,
>
> The Embperl-1 Package
> (http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/x86/Embperl-1.tar.gz), seems to be a
> little out of date (is still 2.0b9) and does not load anymore due to an
> updated libxml (see below).
>
> Is there any chance that you compile a new version of the Embperl ppm
> package and put it online?
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Gerald

Hi Gerald,
You're right that this is a problem with a mismatched
libxml2 dll from our site. I'll make up a new package
this weekend (my Windows computer died last week, and
I'm in the process of rebuilding things).

--
best regards,
Randy

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]
Hi Randy,

> You're right that this is a problem with a mismatched
> libxml2 dll from our site. I'll make up a new package this
> weekend (my Windows computer died last week, and I'm in the
> process of rebuilding things).

Thanks very much!

Gerald

** Virus checked by BB-5000 Mailfilter **

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]
Thanks Randy and Gerald. I appreciate the efforts here.

________________________________

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]
Looks like it is still the old version of Embperl for Win32 on theoryx5.

Any progress Randy and would it help if I begged...or juggled...maybe begged while juggling angry marmots?

________________________________

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Donovan Allen wrote:

> Looks like it is still the old version of Embperl for Win32 on theoryx5.
>
> Any progress Randy and would it help if I begged...or
> juggled...maybe begged while juggling angry marmots?

I'm still working on it; unfortunately, this time of year is
really busy for me at the university, due to classes/exams
and budget stuff. Also, there's a number of other packages
in the repository that use libxml2, and I have to update
them at the same time. Hopefully I'll be able to finish
this up this weekend.

--
best regards,
Randy

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Gerald Richter wrote:

>> Wondering if Win32 build is working. Followed the directions
>> on th Embperl website and no luck.
>>
>> Apache refused to start, popping up an error at the
>> "PerlModule Embperl" directive, so I ran embpexec.bat, which
>> popped up the same error in a windows dialog box.
>>
>> The error is:
>> The procedure entry point xmlLoadExtDtdDefaultValue could
>> not be located in the dynamic link library
>> libxml2.dll.
>>

> Looks like a version mismatch, that Embperl is compiled for a different
> version of libxml2

I'm afraid I haven't had any luck building the latest
Embperl for perl-5.8 on Win32, even without mod_perl
support - the tests immediately crash with an access
violation in the perl58 dll. This problem doesn't happen
with perl-5.6. I'll try to debug things to see where
it's failing.

--
best regards,
Randy Kobes

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]

> I'm afraid I haven't had any luck building the latest Embperl
> for perl-5.8 on Win32, even without mod_perl support - the
> tests immediately crash with an access violation in the
> perl58 dll. This problem doesn't happen with perl-5.6. I'll
> try to debug things to see where it's failing.

Randy, please try to replace the call to stat () in line 733 of epcache.c
with _stat(). Does this change anything?

Gerald

** Virus checked by BB-5000 Mailfilter **

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Gerald Richter wrote:

>> I'm afraid I haven't had any luck building the latest Embperl
>> for perl-5.8 on Win32, even without mod_perl support - the
>> tests immediately crash with an access violation in the
>> perl58 dll. This problem doesn't happen with perl-5.6. I'll
>> try to debug things to see where it's failing.
>>

> Randy, please try to replace the call to stat () in line 733 of epcache.c
> with _stat(). Does this change anything?
>
> Gerald

Wow, I'm impressed! Yes, that does fix the problem. I've
placed an Embperl ppm package up at
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/
for ActivePerl 8xx, based on 2.2.0; this doesn't have
mod_perl-1 support built in, as I'm having (local)
difficulties with this, but it does include libxml2
support (a post-install script should offer to download
the relevant external dlls for you).

--
best regards,
Randy

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]

> Wow, I'm impressed! Yes, that does fix the problem.

Seems like Perl redefines the stat call in an incompatible way, so the
returned struct is bigger than the original one, which has overwritten some
data..

> I've
> placed an Embperl ppm package up at
> http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/
> for ActivePerl 8xx, based on 2.2.0; this doesn't have

Great! Thanks!

> mod_perl-1 support built in, as I'm having (local)
> difficulties with this, but it does include libxml2 support
> (a post-install script should offer to download the relevant
> external dlls for you).

Do you see any chance to create a version with mod_perl-1 at later time?

Gerald

** Virus checked by BB-5000 Mailfilter **

Re: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]
Randy Kobes wrote:
> Wow, I'm impressed! Yes, that does fix the problem. I've placed an
> Embperl ppm package up at
> http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/
> for ActivePerl 8xx, based on 2.2.0; this doesn't have
> mod_perl-1 support built in, as I'm having (local)
> difficulties with this, but it does include libxml2
> support (a post-install script should offer to download
> the relevant external dlls for you).

Excellent! Randy, any chance this becomes part of your all-in-one
distribution?

- Robert

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]
Thanks a ton Randy & Gerald! Will give it a try this weekend I think.

________________________________

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]
I do hope mod_perl-1 gets supported soon, since that is how I am using embperl, and unless I am mistaken, there is no other mod_perl+Apache+Embperl combo on Win32 to be had...correct...?

Anyway, didn't get much of a chance to look into it more, but with AS Perl build 813, a new Embperl 2.2.0 install and fresh libxml.dll, libxslt_win32.dll, libexslt_win32.dll libraries, embpexec still gives me the same error.

I looked around to make sure I didn't have some other libxml2.dll in my path and didn't find any conflicts (and even "deleted" the one in perl to make sure a missing dll error would follow and after that force re-installed to get it back)...so I know it is using the libxml2.dll from the post install script.

When I get a moment (probably weeks from now...heh), I will try from a different machine and a fresh perl install w/latest AS build and see what happens with embpexec vs libxml2.dll.

As we go into Round 3, we have libxml ahead by 2, Win32-Embperl =0. Stay tuned after these messages from our sponsors...

________________________________

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Donovan Allen wrote:

> I do hope mod_perl-1 gets supported soon, since that is
> how I am using embperl, and unless I am mistaken, there is
> no other mod_perl+Apache+Embperl combo on Win32 to be
> had...correct...?
>
> Anyway, didn't get much of a chance to look into it more,
> but with AS Perl build 813, a new Embperl 2.2.0 install
> and fresh libxml.dll, libxslt_win32.dll,
> libexslt_win32.dll libraries, embpexec still gives me the
> same error.

I've almost sorted out my difficulties with mod_perl-1,
so should be able to make a mod_perl-1 enabled package
soon, but I'd also like to sort out the difficulties
with using libxml2 (which I don't think adding mod_perl
suppoer will help with). I'm confused about the original
error, in which xmlLoadExtDtdDefaultValue could not
be found in the libxml2.dll. Doing a dumpbin /exports
on my libxml2.lib indicates this symbol is available
as ___xmlLoadExtDtdDefaultValue. I'm not sure about the
meaning of the 3 underscores in front of the name - most
of the other exported symbols just have 1. Does anyone
know the meaning of this? Thanks.

--
best regards,
Randy

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]

> I've almost sorted out my difficulties with mod_perl-1, so
> should be able to make a mod_perl-1 enabled package soon, but
> I'd also like to sort out the difficulties with using libxml2
> (which I don't think adding mod_perl suppoer will help with).
> I'm confused about the original error, in which
> xmlLoadExtDtdDefaultValue could not be found in the
> libxml2.dll. Doing a dumpbin /exports on my libxml2.lib
> indicates this symbol is available as
> ___xmlLoadExtDtdDefaultValue. I'm not sure about the meaning
> of the 3 underscores in front of the name - most of the other
> exported symbols just have 1. Does anyone know the meaning of
> this? Thanks.

That means that the symbolname really starts with two underscores. (The
C-Compiler put's one underscore before every smybol). These two extra
underscores might be the result of some macro substitution libxml is doing.
Maybe Embperl and libxml are compiled with different DEFINE's . I think
there was some changes in the API for thread support and macros to keeps
backward compatibility, but I am not quite sure.

Gerald

** Virus checked by BB-5000 Mailfilter **

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Gerald Richter wrote:

> Do you see any chance to create a version with mod_perl-1 at later time?

I've now placed a Win32 ppm package (called Embperl-1)
for ActivePerl 8xx that includes mod_perl-1 support at
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/
This also includes libxml2 support. Let me know if you
find troubles with it - thanks.

--
best regards,
Randy