Mailing List Archive

Problem with [$ hidden $] on Debian Bookworm
Hi, I am upgrading my systems to the latest version of Debian (Bookworm)
and have compiled Embperl from the Debian source. I had an issue with
make test which I have put in a separate email.

Embperl still appears to work, the biggest thing I am noticing is that I
am getting loads of 'uninitialized variable' warnings, which didn't
occur before on Debian Stretch. They happen when I do tests with things like

if ($fdat{debug} eq 'vars')

This gives a warning in the log file if $fdat{debug} isn't set. I guess
this is due to the different versions of Perl, and I also guess it's a
good thing...? Previously, I think Perl silently initialized the
variable if it didn't exist. Now it complains. This results in a lot of
code I have to go through to do tests to see if it's defined before
using it, but I guess that's acceptable.

The bigger problem I am seeing is this warning:

Warning in Perl code: Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry

This is happening on a line that simply has

[$ hidden $]

So I'm guessing that the hidden command is somehow not getting
initialized? Or something else? When I remove that line, everything is
fine, no warnings.

I wonder if anyone has any clues for me on this.

Very grateful that Embperl is still around after all these years in the
Debian distro, I use it heavily on my own websites that are still being
developed using it 20 years later.

Anybody know if Gerald is still around? I hope he's doing ok.

Thanks,

Neil