By the way, if Embperl is not installed with support for Apache (and it
works) what drawbacks are there as opposed to having it installed with
support for mod_perl? performance?
RE: installing Embperl [ In reply to ]
On 10-Aug-2000 Ragnar Hakonarson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have already got apache compiled and running with mod_perl and libperl.
>
> Do I have to build Embperl with support for Apache mod_perl to enable it
> with Apache or can I simply install it without and still access Embperl as
> with any other Apache module?

I just did this yesterday. I had apache / mod_perl / mod_ssl compiled and
installed already. I configured Embperl with mod_perl support and installed
it. It found the apache source tree, but I didn't have to do a make install
there. I've put embperl in my startup.pl, and everything works great. I guess
you can just view it as another Apache perl module.

Regards,

Wim Kerkhoff, Software Engineer
NetMaster Networking Solutions
wim@netmaster.com
Re: installing Embperl [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> I have already got apache compiled and running with mod_perl and libperl.
>
> Do I have to build Embperl with support for Apache mod_perl to enable it
> with Apache or can I simply install it without and still access Embperl as
> with any other Apache module?
>
> Regards,
> Ragnar
>
> By the way, if Embperl is not installed with support for Apache (and it
> works) what drawbacks are there as opposed to having it installed with
> support for mod_perl? performance?

If Embperl is build _without_ support for Apache you can only use it offline
and as CGI script, but not under mod_perl. When building with support for
Apache, Embperl uses directly the Apache API (on C Level) and mod_perl,
which makes it much faster.

So when you are using Apache and mod_perl, build Embperl with support for
Apache.

Gerald

Gerald Richter ecos electronic communication services gmbh

Post: Tulpenstrasse 5 D-55276 Dienheim b. Mainz
E-Mail: richter@ecos.de Voice: +49 6133 925151
WWW: http://www.ecos.de Fax: +49 6133 925152