Mailing List Archive

mod_perl problems
Hi, I'm trying to get HTML::Embperl to work, but for some reason
mod_perl won't work or something wrong is definatly happening...i got
mod_perl installed, but when i try to go to an *.epl page it won't
work..heres how i hav it set up

SetEnv EMBPERL_DEBUG 2285
<Files *.epl>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler HTML::Embperl
Options +ExecCGI
</Files>

AddType text/html .epl

and that doesn't work...when i go to an epl page it just shows me the
code for the page...so i was thinking maybe it was a mod_perl problem
and i started playing with it and i found the httpd_modperl command i
assume that is supposed to start apache with mod_perl support, but when
i run it, it gives me an error
env_somemodule.so is garbled maybe it is not an Apache Api DSO?
so i commented that module out and it says the same garbage about the
next loaded module...i have both mod_perl and embperl installed
correctly i assume...i'm using redhat 6.2...if anyone has any ideas it
would be EXTREMELY appriciated...

Brandon
brandon@billboardaustin.com
Re: mod_perl problems [ In reply to ]
ok - first try the stuff in this part of the guide to make sure you are
really running mod_perl

http://perl.apache.org/guide/install.html#How_can_I_tell_whether_mod_perl_

--
___cliff rayman___cliff@genwax.com___http://www.genwax.com/
Re: mod_perl problems [ In reply to ]
I have had little success in running mod_perl as a DSO under Apache
especially with other modules compiled in as DSO's. Try reinstalling apache
with statically linked modules

Stephane de Fontaine
Software Developer
Commission Junction

Re: mod_perl problems [ In reply to ]
i'm not sure that i want to run mod_perl as a DSO...i just want it to work so
that i can embed perl into my web pages..i tried installing on a different
system this one being FreeBSD and i'm having a lot of problems getting it to
build...when it asks you where your apache src is what dir am i giving??...i
put /usr/local/include/apache and it seemed to work, but when i tried make test
failed and said couldn't start server, but it was trying to start
/usr/local/include/apache/httpd and my httpd server is located at
/usr/local/bin/httpd...the reason i thought that the other installation was
correct was b/c i installed it as an rpm...but i did httpd -l and aparently it
isn't compiled in...so what do i have to do to get it compiled in? reinstall
apache?

thanks for the help

RE: mod_perl problems [ In reply to ]
brandon,

I hear your frustration. I remember my first installation a long time ago
and what got me was the fact that mod_perl does not install httpd for you,
it only compiles it. You have to copy the httpd from the apache src
directory over your current httpd. Anyway, I think this may help you. You
seem to just
want three things installed.

So here is a checklist:

Pre-directions: You might as well get rid of all the weird places httpd and
apache install files are showing up. Just try to clean your system before
you install apache with mod_perl.

1. Download both tar.gz file of apache, mod_perl 1.24, and embperl whatever
version you want.

2. Save and store them all in lets say /usr/local/src

3. Now untar and gunzip all of them in the /usr/local/src file. Now you
shoudl have this configuration at this point before you install anything.

/usr/local/src/apache_1.3.12
/usr/local/src/mod_perl-1.24
/usr/local/src/HTML-Embperl-1.2.1

4. chdir's to /usr/local/apache_1.3.12

run

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
make
make install

5. now chdir's to /usr/local/src/mod_perl-1.24

perl Makefile.PL

when it prompts you to build in support for mod_perl submit yes
now when it asks you for what directory that apache src is in, it should
actually show up like this '../apache_1.3.12/src'

if it doesn't then you should type that in or you can harcode the entire
path of '/usr/local/src/apache_1.3.12/src' in.

Now that should run nicely, and then

make
make test
make install

6. chdir to ../apache_1.3.12/src and type this command in 'httpd -l'

if mod_perl show's up in the list then all is good.

7. make a copy of your old httpd 'cp /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd
/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd.old'

8. cp /usr/local/src/apache_1.3.12/src/httpd /usr/local/apache/bin

9. Edit the /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf file to your liking

10. if you can now start apache correctly by

/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

11. Check the /usr/local/apache/logs/error-log, if mod_perl says it started
then it did.

12. Now if that all works, then its time to run the embperl install

13. just change dir's to /usr/local/src/HTML-Embperl-1.2.1 I thinks its
either a perl Makefile.PL or a ./configure

Either way, embperl installation should be automatic. If it happens to
prompt you for source of apache, you should type in what you typed in for
mod_perl.

These are steps that I have taken to install this combo on a ton of boxes.
Now I also have removed a ton of stuff out of the configuration templates in
the apache_1.3.12/src directory to remove unwanted modules. You might want
to play around with that as well.

14. Setup the <Files> directive the way you had it before in an earlier
email.

If that doesn't work, then you will need more error messages and make sure
that tons of copies of httpd are not lying around.

joe lauer rootlevel
product developer 743 beaubien, suite 300
p.313.961.4407 x302 detroit, mi 48226
f.313.961.4568 www.rootlevel.com

Re: mod_perl problems [ In reply to ]
On this step:

> 5. now chdir's to /usr/local/src/mod_perl-1.24
>
> perl Makefile.PL

I've sometimes had to do a:

perl Makefile.PL USE_APACI=1 EVERYTHING=1

I also choose NOT to let mod_perl build my httpd when prompted because what
it does is run config.status and add mod_perl every time it's run, so you'll
end up with 3,4,howevermany --activate-modules in config.status...to avoid
this, I always build apache AFTER I've "make && make install" in the
mod_perl directory...

...I also compile in everything but the kitchen sink (8 non-standard modules
at last count :-), so the APACI step may not be neccessary for you in a
plain Apache/mod_perl setup...

Jon Brisbin
www.jbrisbin.net
mail@jbrisbin.net
RE: mod_perl problems [ In reply to ]
woops, i also forgot to tell you that you probably want to add this for the
mod_perl install

perl Makefile.PL PERL_STACKED_HANDLERS=1

also, while compiling in everything but the kitchen sink is good if you
don't care about memory, otherwise your httpd is going to be a lot bigger
than you need if you don't need all those modules. I cut memory consumption
almost in half by getting rid of modules that I didn't need.

Also, I find manually editing the configuration templates in the apache src
directory helpful in keeping the modules I don't want compiled in out all
the time.

Just some of the stuff I find useful.

-joe

Re: mod_perl problems [ In reply to ]
brandon wrote:

> i'm not sure that i want to run mod_perl as a DSO...i just want it to work so
> that i can embed perl into my web pages..i tried installing on a different
> system this one being FreeBSD and i'm having a lot of problems getting it to
> build...when it asks you where your apache src is what dir am i giving??...i
> put /usr/local/include/apache and it seemed to work,

this probably is the location of the header files for a previous build, not the
source.

> but when i tried make test
> failed and said couldn't start server, but it was trying to start
> /usr/local/include/apache/httpd and my httpd server is located at
> /usr/local/bin/httpd...the reason i thought that the other installation was
> correct was b/c i installed it as an rpm...but i did httpd -l and aparently it
> isn't compiled in...so what do i have to do to get it compiled in? reinstall
> apache?

yes. reinstall apache and everything from source.
the easy build instructions are here:
http://perl.apache.org/guide/install.html#Installing_mod_perl_in_10_Minute

use this:
apache_1.3.12.tar.gz
in place of this:
apache_x.x.x.tar.gz

use this:
mod_perl-1.24.tar.gz
in place of this:
mod_perl-x.xx.tar.gz

good luck.

--
___cliff rayman___cliff@genwax.com___http://www.genwax.com/
Re: mod_perl problems [ In reply to ]
ok i downloaded apache 1.3.12 and did all the stuff i was told to do, and
everything seems to have worked except now when i try to run
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachect1 start
it won't load any of the modules...so i commented out all of the LoadModule
directives, but then of coarse it would not do the AddModule stuff...sooooo??
now i have a whole new problem not sure where to start fixing...do i not need my
httpd.conf to load any of those modules?

Brandon

Re: mod_perl problems [ In reply to ]
Brandon,

Now that you did what I dotldy you to do, you don't have dso anymore.
This means that addmodule directives will NOT work.