Perl Conferrence in Monterey
In case anybody is interested, here is a link about what I will talk at the
Perl Conference: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/e_sess/863

Gerald

Gerald Richter ecos electronic communication services gmbh

Post: Tulpenstrasse 5 D-55276 Dienheim b. Mainz
E-Mail: richter@ecos.de Voice: +49 6133 925151
WWW: http://www.ecos.de Fax: +49 6133 925152
Re: Perl Conferrence in Monterey [ In reply to ]
Gerald:

Are you certain of this URL. It's a dead link at this moment.

Gerald Richter wrote:

> In case anybody is interested, here is a link about what I will talk at the
> Perl Conference: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/e_sess/863
>
> Gerald

> Gerald Richter ecos electronic communication services gmbh
> Internetconnect * Webserver/-design/-datenbanken * Consulting
>
> Post: Tulpenstrasse 5 D-55276 Dienheim b. Mainz
> E-Mail: richter@ecos.de Voice: +49 6133 925151
> WWW: http://www.ecos.de Fax: +49 6133 925152

Ruben I Safir

ruben@sruben.dental.nyu.edu
ruben@wynn.noSppam.com

Perl Notes:
http://www.wynn.com/jewish/perl_course

http://www.brooklynonline.com
Manager of Intranet Development NYU College of Dentistry
Resume: http://www.wynn.com/jewish/resume.html
RE: Perl Conferrence in Monterey [ In reply to ]

> Are you certain of this URL. It's a dead link at this moment.

Yes, it's correct. I have tried it directly before I wrote the mail und
tried it now and it works for me.

You could also try the home page

http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon2000/index.html

Click on sessions and then Apache

Gerald

Re: Perl Conferrence in Monterey [ In reply to ]
Can you comment on caching a bit? I was under the
impression that HTML::Embperl had no caching
facilities. The one email msg I read in the archives
from an alex@davanita.com mentioned the use of a
transhandler to do caching based on file-generation
time... but this appeared to be an in-house solution,
not something that ships with HTML::Embperl.

Reading the HTML::Mason docs this morning, I noticed
that it supports cache expiry based on 3 conditions:
- 1 - time
- 2 - condition (specified by a sub ref)
- 3 - explicit expiry

Also Mason supports busy locks, which means that once
one process starts to build a cached version of a
page, no other process will attempt to build one, thus
avoid race conditions and wasted computation.

--- Gerald Richter <richter@ecos.de> wrote:
> In case anybody is interested, here is a link about
> what I will talk at the
> Perl Conference:
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/e_sess/863
>
> Gerald

> Gerald Richter ecos electronic communication
> services gmbh
> Internetconnect * Webserver/-design/-datenbanken *
> Consulting
>
> Post: Tulpenstrasse 5 D-55276 Dienheim
> b. Mainz
> E-Mail: richter@ecos.de Voice: +49
> 6133 925151
> WWW: http://www.ecos.de Fax: +49
> 6133 925152

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> embperl-help@perl.apache.org

=====
Terrence Brannon
90 St. Mark's Place
Apt. 2E North
Staten Island, NY 10301
914-755-4360

http://mail.yahoo.com/
RE: Perl Conferrence in Monterey [ In reply to ]
> Can you comment on caching a bit? I was under the
> impression that HTML::Embperl had no caching
> facilities.

Embperl 1.x hasn't, Embperl 2 will have...

> Reading the HTML::Mason docs this morning, I noticed
> that it supports cache expiry based on 3 conditions:
> - 1 - time
> - 2 - condition (specified by a sub ref)
> - 3 - explicit expiry
>
> Also Mason supports busy locks, which means that once
> one process starts to build a cached version of a
> page, no other process will attempt to build one, thus
> avoid race conditions and wasted computation.

That's what's planned for Embperl 2 too. Also I like to have the possibility
to cache a whole page as static file (for files that doesn't change very
often), so Apache can serve them with full speed, just as a normal static
file.

When I wrote this text for the conference I thought I would be a little
faster with Embperl 2, but it's a lot of work (so far I have written more
then 5000 lines new (C-)code). I plan to release at least an alpha version
of Embperl 2 before the conference, also this version will not support all
the above cacheing strategies, but they are comming as soon as possible.

Also the XML part of the talk, will be a talk about upcomming features...