Mailing List Archive

Suggestion: HTTP Session with Fallback a la PHP4
I'm using the Apache::Session with Embperl and MySQL and like
this feature very much. My client does need a solution
for those web-surfers who disable cookies because of
(paranoid) security considerations. This is possible in
theory by rewriting every link in every HTML file:
add a session_id as a query string to it.
(disable cookies and try amazon.com for example).

The next generation of PHP, version 4 does exactly this. From the
feature list:
"
HTTP session fallback system

A fallback system for HTTP session management is built into PHP 4.0. By
default, session identifiers are stored in
cookies. If there is no cookie support or a cookie assignment fails, the
session identifier is automatically created and
carried in the query string of the URL.
"

Since EmbPerl has to parse every HTML file it would be possible
to add a session_id to every link instead of cookies too.

How about it? Is it difficult? Impossible?
--
Frerk Meyer mailto:fm@channel-one.de
Channel.One http://www.channel-one.de
RE: Suggestion: HTTP Session with Fallback a la PHP4 [ In reply to ]

> Since EmbPerl has to parse every HTML file it would be possible
> to add a session_id to every link instead of cookies too.
>
> How about it? Is it difficult? Impossible?

It's already on the TODO list, but not with the highest priority. Embperl
already inspects all links (in epcmd.c function HtmlA), to be able to do the
correct URL escaping when you output something inside a link. Also the
session_id could be taken from Embperl's internal data structure (r), so it
shouldn't be too hard to implement this.

Gerald

P.S. Patches are always welcome :-)