Mailing List Archive

$escmode working/not working !
hi,

this is my first post to this brand new list. Is anyone there
reading?

well, my problem is as stupid as it is astonishing... My trustworthy
(development) apache server is serving a lot of pages sites that
succesfully make use of the $escmode to spit out HTML...

Now one simple page is NOT working propely. The code is ...

[+ $escmode=0; '<font color="blue">XX1</font>' +]

and the result is...

XX1

I found that if I try with something like
[$var $cgi $]
[+
$escmode=0;
$cgi = new CGI;
$cgi->li('XX1')
+]

I do get the expected
<li>XX1</li>

But I certainly expected $escmode to work like the docs say it does,
with plain strings...

Embperl version 1.2.0 btw...

Back to hitting the walls with my (way too scarred) head...

martin
-- --
-- --
- Martin Langhoff @ S C I M Multimedia Technology -
- http://www.scim.net | God is real until -
- mailto:mlangho@scim.net | declared integer -
RE: $escmode working/not working ! [ In reply to ]
hi,

> this is my first post to this brand new list. Is anyone there
> reading?

At least some people are posting :-)

> well, my problem is as stupid as it is astonishing... My trustworthy
> (development) apache server is serving a lot of pages sites that
> succesfully make use of the $escmode to spit out HTML...
>
> Now one simple page is NOT working propely. The code is ...
>

> [+ $escmode=0; '<font color="blue">XX1</font>' +]
>
> and the result is...
>
> XX1

Did you set the optRawInput? You should always set it in your server config,
if you don't use a high level html editor (like MS Frontpage etc.). You
could also set it in your page like:

[- $optRawInput = 1 -] [+ $escmode=0; '<font color="blue">XX1</font>' +]

Note that the setting of optRawInput _must_ be in a block before the block
it should applied to.

Gerald

Gerald Richter ecos electronic communication services gmbh

Post: Tulpenstrasse 5 D-55276 Dienheim b. Mainz
E-Mail: richter@ecos.de Voice: +49 6133 925151
WWW: http://www.ecos.de Fax: +49 6133 925152
RE: $escmode working/not working ! [ In reply to ]

> > could also set it in your page like:
> >
> > [- $optRawInput = 1 -] [+ $escmode=0; '<font color="blue">XX1</font>' +]
>
> Thanks for the prompt response! Maybe this should be included in the docs?
>
> My understanding is that under a standard setup the sample
> given in the man
> pages does not work properly unless you set the $optRawInput ...

Since you are not the first one who had that problem, I have tried to make
the docs clear in this point. You could find it serveral times in
Embperl.pod and in Faq.pod. I know the docs ar far away from perfect, but
wrting docs takes a lot of time and many things are obvious for me, but not
for people who are new to Embperl. So anybody is invited to improve the
docs...