problem was. Is there something I can do to re-enable this?

This is using Apache, mod_perl and Embperl all built from source on
Debian Wheezy AMD64:

Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) Embperl/2.5.0_1 mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/1.0.1c
mod_perl/2.0.5 Perl/v5.14.2

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Neil

RE: Error reporting in Embperl 2.5.0_1 [ In reply to ]
Hi Neil,

in my tests I got normal error messages like before.

Do you have a few lines of code, that shows the problem?

Gerald

Re: Error reporting in Embperl 2.5.0_1 [ In reply to ]
Hi Gerald,

Thanks for getting back. Basically I can have something as simple as
this, one line of code in index.html:

[- $x = 1; -]

Which simply produces the error:

Internal Server Error
unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, neil@nilspace.com and inform
them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done
that may have caused the error.

[12542]ERR: 24: Error in Perl code: Compilation error

Apache Embperl 2.5.0_1 [Thu May 31 15:37:53 2012]

Now obviously this isn't the only code being executed here, there is
also base.epl and a whole bunch of other stuff that gets initialized on
my website, but that one line is all it takes to make the error
manifest. I guess I must have 'strict' defined somewhere, because the
above error is just a missing 'my' (if I put 'my' then the error goes
away). The Embperl-specific config in my httpd_perl.conf is as follows:

EMBPERL_DEBUG 0
EMBPERL_ESCMODE 0
EMBPERL_OPTIONS 16
EMBPERL_MAILHOST spidey.nilspace.com
EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE base.epl
EMBPERL_OBJECT_FALLBACK /www/errors/404.html
EMBPERL_SESSION_HANDLER_CLASS no
EMBPERL_LOG /tmp/embperl.log

There's a lot of other stuff going on here, startup.pl etc, but maybe
there is something fundamental in EMBPERL_DEBUG or EMBPERL_OPTIONS that
could be causing this (or a different setting that might shed light on
what's happening)? Let me know...

Thanks again,

Neil

Re: Error reporting in Embperl 2.5.0_1 [ In reply to ]
Ok, this is weird. When I try executing the same file now, just the way
it was before (without your suggestion), now it doesn't give the error.
I have tried restarting apache, clearing both the browser and apache
caches, but it works every time. Bizarre. I'll wait a bit and see if I
can reproduce it again.

In any case, thanks for the suggestion - if I can get back to reliably
reproducing the error, then I will give it a try.

Neil

Re: Error reporting in Embperl 2.5.0_1 [ In reply to ]
Ok, here is a simple test case. File index.html contains just the following:

[-
use strict;
$x = 1;
-]

Produces:

Internal Server Error
unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, neil@nilspace.com and inform
them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done
that may have caused the error.

[15813]ERR: 24: Error in Perl code: Compilation error

Apache Embperl 2.5.0_1 [Tue Jun 5 22:27:42 2012]

Once again, this is using Debian Wheezy, Apache/2.2.22 (Unix)
Embperl/2.5.0_1 mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/1.0.1c mod_perl/2.0.5 Perl/v5.14.2

Thanks,

Neil

Re: Error reporting in Embperl 2.5.0_1 [ In reply to ]
Ok, FYI I am still getting some strange behavior with reporting of
compilation errors. However, it's quite difficult to pin down a minimal
case that gives the same result that I get with more complex code. At
the same time, I get *no* error with something like this in my test.html:

[-
slkjdflksjdflkjsdkljfslkjf
-]

Shouldn't that give some type of error?

This is getting quite frustrating, because if I do some major code
changes in my dev environment, as I did today, and then run the code to
test it, all I get is this 'Compilation error' without any line
information and I have NO IDEA where the error is. I have to basically
start doing stuff like chopping out code and then reinserting it to find
out where the error starts appearing. Obviously with certain types of
code (that do things in a database) this gets difficult quickly.

Something in Embperl is not doing error reporting right. Is there
anything I can do in tweaking Embperl settings to help give more
information?

As it stands, I'm starting to dread making big code changes, as I can be
pretty sure that when I test it out, I'll be left with a big chunk of
code to comb through for some error which I have no idea where or even
what it is.

Thanks!

Neil

Re: Error reporting in Embperl 2.5.0_1 [ In reply to ]
Actually, I said in my previous email that the error was hard to
reproduce in its minimal version - but the one below does seem to do it.
All I am getting with this example is 'Compilation error', no line or
file information.

This is using Embperl::Object, if that matters. Latest Embperl, perl
5.14.2 on Debian Wheezy (testing) etc - all versions as before. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Neil

Re: Error reporting in Embperl 2.5.0_1 [ In reply to ]
Another update: I tried downgrading Embperl to 2.4 just to see if it
would be any different, but same result - only message is 'Compilation
error'. So, something specific about the way Embperl interacts with Perl
that changed with 5.14, presumably...