Subject: Re: Apache::compat, perldoc modules?
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 23:37:16 -0500
From: Adam Prime <adam.prime@utoronto.ca>
To: Mark Hedges <hedges@scriptdolphin.org>
CC: modperl@perl.apache.org

Mark Hedges wrote:
> Trying to get perldoc running in some fashion under Apache2
> with libapreq2.
>
> I thought I'd use Apache2::Pod::HTML but no luck:
>
> [Tue Jan 27 14:55:04 2009] [error] [client 70.143.68.29]
> Can't locate object method "send_http_header" via package
> "Apache2::RequestRec" at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Apache2/Pod/HTML.pm line
> 173.\n

send_http_header does not exist in the mod_perl2 api. Really, that's a
bug in Apache2::Pod::HTML

> Apache::Perldoc has the same problem:
>
> [Tue Jan 27 15:00:49 2009] [error] [client 70.143.68.29]
> Can't locate object method "send_http_header" via package
> "Apache2::RequestRec" at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Apache/Perldoc.pm line 8.\n
>
> So I thought I'd use Apache::compat even though this may
> bork some of my other code, but no luck. This may be a
> documentation error at
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache/compat.html,
> which says:

This file is, i think, outdated, and you should instead look at this:

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache2/compat.html

> # either add at the very beginning of startup.pl
> use Apache2
> use Apache::compat;
> # or httpd.conf
> PerlModule Apache2
> PerlModule Apache::compat
>
> <snip>

This stuff looks like documentation from before the API change that was
updated with sed, but not really read. It should likely be removed.

Adam

Re: [Fwd: Re: Apache::compat, perldoc modules?] [ In reply to ]
Adam Prime wrote:

> Should this page:
>
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache/compat.html
>
> be removed, and links to it replaced with
>
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache2/compat.html
+1
Have fun :)
1024D/DB9B8C1C B90B FBC3 A3A1 C71A 8E70 3F8C 75B8 8FFB DB9B 8C1C
Consultant - P6M7G8 Inc. http://p6m7g8.net
Senior Sys Admin - RideCharge, Inc. http://ridecharge.com
Contractor - PositiveEnergyUSA http://positiveenergyusa.com
ASF Member - Apache Software Foundation http://apache.org
FreeBSD Committer - FreeBSD Foundation http://freebsd.org

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.

Re: [Fwd: Re: Apache::compat, perldoc modules?] [ In reply to ]
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Adam Prime wrote:
>>
>> Should this page:
>>
>> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache/compat.html
>>
>> be removed, and links to it replaced with
>>
>> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache2/compat.html
> +1
> Have fun :)

i just sat down to take a look at this, the top page is not in the
repository, nor is it generated by the build script. So i'm guessing
that the cron the syncs the files does not remove things after they are
removed from the repo. The page doesn't appear to show up in the
swish-e's search results, but it is indexed by google.

I presume the rsync just needs a --delete or something, but i have no
idea how we get that fixed.

Adam

Re: [Fwd: Re: Apache::compat, perldoc modules?] [ In reply to ]
Adam Prime wrote:
> i just sat down to take a look at this, the top page is not in the
> repository, nor is it generated by the build script. So i'm guessing
> that the cron the syncs the files does not remove things after they are
> removed from the repo. The page doesn't appear to show up in the
> swish-e's search results, but it is indexed by google.
Adam et al,

The rsyncs to the other computers run hourly. And 1 time daily they do a
rsync --delete. The delete is only daily b/c it has to do a full tree walk
over all 70 some ASF problems.

Adam, if you login to people.apache.org and follow the sudo instructions for
perlwww. Then, /www/perl.apache.org You can then tweak it. It should be an
svn checkout where the crons have been run.

If you are lacking permissions let me know, and I'll get that fixed.

Obviously, I could have done this in a few seconds but spreading the knowledge
is a good thing (tm).

Re: [Fwd: Re: Apache::compat, perldoc modules?] [ In reply to ]
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Adam Prime wrote:
>> i just sat down to take a look at this, the top page is not in the
>> repository, nor is it generated by the build script. So i'm guessing
>> that the cron the syncs the files does not remove things after they are
>> removed from the repo. The page doesn't appear to show up in the
>> swish-e's search results, but it is indexed by google.
> Adam et al,
>
> The rsyncs to the other computers run hourly. And 1 time daily they do a
> rsync --delete. The delete is only daily b/c it has to do a full tree
> walk over all 70 some ASF problems.
>
> Adam, if you login to people.apache.org and follow the sudo instructions
> for perlwww. Then, /www/perl.apache.org You can then tweak it. It
> should be an svn checkout where the crons have been run.
>
> If you are lacking permissions let me know, and I'll get that fixed.

I can't sudo to perlwww, i'm apparently not in the sudoers file. the
apache directory does exist in /www/perl.apache.org, so i'm guessing the
underlying problem is that the build script should probably nuke the
dst_html directory once a day (or week) or something.

Adam

Re: [Fwd: Re: Apache::compat, perldoc modules?] [ In reply to ]
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Adam Prime wrote:
>> i just sat down to take a look at this, the top page is not in the
>> repository, nor is it generated by the build script. So i'm guessing
>> that the cron the syncs the files does not remove things after they are
>> removed from the repo. The page doesn't appear to show up in the
>> swish-e's search results, but it is indexed by google.
> Adam et al,
>
> The rsyncs to the other computers run hourly. And 1 time daily they do a
> rsync --delete. The delete is only daily b/c it has to do a full tree
> walk over all 70 some ASF problems.
>
> Adam, if you login to people.apache.org and follow the sudo instructions
> for perlwww. Then, /www/perl.apache.org You can then tweak it. It
> should be an svn checkout where the crons have been run.
>
> If you are lacking permissions let me know, and I'll get that fixed.
>
> Obviously, I could have done this in a few seconds but spreading the
> knowledge is a good thing (tm)

I have archived the entire Apache directory and the Apache.html/pdf from
docs/2.0/api into ~/api_old. I've added a README file to that directory
indicating when, and what those files are. I thought it'd probably be
better to not blow them right away, even though i'm pretty confident
that that would be ok.

I think it would make sense to add an option to the build script which
will build from a clean slate occasionally, this should keep this sort
of problem from occurring again.

Thoughts?

Adam

Re: [Fwd: Re: Apache::compat, perldoc modules?] [ In reply to ]
Adam Prime wrote:

> I have archived the entire Apache directory and the Apache.html/pdf from
> docs/2.0/api into ~/api_old. I've added a README file to that directory
> indicating when, and what those files are. I thought it'd probably be
> better to not blow them right away, even though i'm pretty confident
> that that would be ok.

I also moved the stuff out of ~/apache.org/modperl-docs, which is
probably actually the important place to move it from.

Adam

Re: [Fwd: Re: Apache::compat, perldoc modules?] [ In reply to ]
Adam Prime wrote:
> I also moved the stuff out of ~/apache.org/modperl-docs, which is
> probably actually the important place to move it from.
That won't help you, its 'svn up' by the crons.

Re: [Fwd: Re: Apache::compat, perldoc modules?] [ In reply to ]
Adam Prime wrote:
> I think it would make sense to add an option to the build script which
> will build from a clean slate occasionally, this should keep this sort
> of problem from occurring again.
>
> Thoughts?
Go for it!

Re: [Fwd: Re: Apache::compat, perldoc modules?] [ In reply to ]
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Adam Prime wrote:
>> I also moved the stuff out of ~/apache.org/modperl-docs, which is
>> probably actually the important place to move it from.
>
> That won't help you, its 'svn up' by the crons.

the Apache directory does not exist in svn at all, it was in dst_html
(and probably dst_pdf, which I should also clean i guess), from the
build runs prior to the namespace change.

Maybe i'm misunderstanding though.

Adam

Re: [Fwd: Re: Apache::compat, perldoc modules?] [ In reply to ]
Adam Prime wrote:
> Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>> Adam Prime wrote:
>>> I also moved the stuff out of ~/apache.org/modperl-docs, which is
>>> probably actually the important place to move it from.
>> That won't help you, its 'svn up' by the crons.
>

> the Apache directory does not exist in svn at all, it was in dst_html
> (and probably dst_pdf, which I should also clean i guess), from the
> build runs prior to the namespace change.
>
> Maybe i'm misunderstanding though.
No, I did, I read to fast, you are correct.