Subject: mod_perl v2 documentation bugs: location of PerlOptions
+Parent, PerlSwitches
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:45:59 +0900
From: Rohan Carly <se456@rohan.id.au>
To: <modperl@perl.apache.org>

I use mod_perl 2.0.3, Apache/2.2.4, Perl 5.8.8 on Linux. I encountered some
problems that would have been easier to solve with more documentation.

1. mod_perl Directives Argument Types and Allowed Location

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html#mod_perl_Directives_Argument_Types_and_Allowed_Location

PerlOptions is listed as "DIR"...

>PerlOptions ITERATE DIR

...but when I add
PerlOptions +Parent

to my apache.conf, I get the error message:
Invalid per-directory PerlOption: Parent

2. PerlSwitches

Doc here:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html#C_PerlSwitches_

I also noticed that
PerlSwitches -I/myliblocation
within a <virtualhost></virtualhost> did not throw an error message, but
seemed to be silently ignored.
When I put it outside of the virtualhost section, it worked as expected.

--
Rohan Carly

Re: [Fwd: mod_perl v2 documentation bugs: location of PerlOptions +Parent, PerlSwitches] [ In reply to ]
Adam Prime wrote:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html
>
> 1) I'm not sure what do to with the PerlOptions report, since it seems
> to not really fit into DIR or SRV
>
> 2) I'm also not really sure what's up with PerlSwitches, though i'm
> going to do some experimentation with it now.

I've confirmed Rohan's report regarding PerlSwitches (mp2.0.4, ap2.2.8,
prefork). In a vhost, I get no errors, but it's silently ignored. In
the root config outside of all vhosts, it works as I'd expect (and is
documented).

Some of the other documentation talks about using PerlSwitches in vhosts
in a threaded MPM, does anyone know if PerlSwitches behaves different in
worker or event?

> 3) PostConfigRequire is listed as SRC, which doesn't seem to have a
> definition elsewhere in the document, it should that be SRV right?

Adam