Mailing List Archive

Authentication additions
Hey Everyone,

Philip mentioned on the list that we should include some info about
how to use your own forms with auth handlers.

Any comments on where this info should live?

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html#PerlAuthenHandler
seems like the most logical place, but I'm worried that it won't be
found there.

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/coding/cooking.html makes sense
to me also, unless this section really is just for Cookie related
items.

Let me know what you guys think is best and I'll put up some text.

Thanks!

Re: Authentication additions [ In reply to ]
On Dec 4, 2006, at 3:17 PM, Frank Wiles wrote:

> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/
> http.html#PerlAuthenHandler

> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/coding/cooking.html makes sense

> Let me know what you guys think is best and I'll put up some text.

Personally speaking...

I'd like to see

Part III: Coding
Frequent Tasks

and then
have your solution in http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/
http.html#PerlAuthenHandler
cross reference it in Frequent Tasks
and have the Frequent Tasks section as a bunch of cross references
to the existing and new documentation that fits well in other places

because, honestly, mp needs a 'frequent tasks' page and there are a
lot of random tasks that exist already but are hard to track down

thats my thoughts.

Re: Authentication additions [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Frank Wiles wrote:

> Hey Everyone,
>
> Philip mentioned on the list that we should include some info about
> how to use your own forms with auth handlers.
>
> Any comments on where this info should live?
>
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html#PerlAuthenHandler
> seems like the most logical place, but I'm worried that it won't be
> found there.
>
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/coding/cooking.html makes sense
> to me also, unless this section really is just for Cookie related
> items.

If this is mp2 specific, then maybe add a chapter after cooking recipes on
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/index.html? Perhaps 'Authentication
How To' or something similar, with a reference to the chapter in Geoff's
book on this subject (although that's mp1).

If I were looking for this information on the site and didn't know where
it was, I would be tempted to look in 'General Documentation' or
'Tutorials' off the main documentation page.