Mailing List Archive

Re: apxs for Windows -- where is it in svn? it is part of apache, not mod_perl. no idea if windows includes it
your welcome.

On Nov 14, 2013, at 10:25 AM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

> TIA!

> http://emptyhammock.com/
Re: apxs for Windows -- where is it in svn? it is part of apache, not mod_perl. no idea if windows includes it [ In reply to ]
(leaving the other thread behind and not quoting anything; I don't have
time to figure out how to avoid triggering the dev@perl spam filter)

Here's what I now know/think/wish:

* apxs-for-Win32 isn't part of Apache httpd
* apxs-for-Win32 isn't part of perl.apache.org
* apxs-for-Win32 was maintained by Randy Kobes, who is, sadly, departed.
* Patching it for one issue or another is apparently left to each
individual user.
* Various perl.apache.org bits don't work on Windows without it.
* I am interested in someday delivering an apxs-like tool with Apache httpd
on Windows (based on cmake), but I don't see that happening any time soon
(and then there is the issue of teaching perl.apache.org bits to be able to
use it).

Can some perl.apache.org developers please find a place for it in svn so
that we have some improvable baseline we can talk about and contribute to?

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/
Re: apxs for Windows -- where is it in svn? it is part of apache, not mod_perl. no idea if windows includes it [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can some perl.apache.org developers please find a place for it in svn so
> that we have some improvable baseline we can talk about and contribute to?

I guess I could put it on github.

Anyway, attached is the patch I'm using now with 64-bit httpd 2.4.x.

Re: apxs for Windows -- where is it in svn? it is part of apache, not mod_perl. no idea if windows includes it [ In reply to ]
On 14 November 2013 23:38, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Can some perl.apache.org developers please find a place for it in svn so
>> that we have some improvable baseline we can talk about and contribute to?
>

> I guess I could put it on github.
>
> Anyway, attached is the patch I'm using now with 64-bit httpd 2.4.x.

I'd rather it were in SVN if possible. I'd be happy to do this if I
can. Where's best? I assume:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/apxs/trunk/

so as to leave room for branches/ and tags/ ?

(And I'd love to see it in httpd one day :-)

Re: apxs for Windows -- where is it in svn? it is part of apache, not mod_perl. no idea if windows includes it [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 3:40 AM, Steve Hay <steve.m.hay@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On 14 November 2013 23:38, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>

> >> Can some perl.apache.org developers please find a place for it in svn
> so
> >> that we have some improvable baseline we can talk about and contribute
> to?
> >

> > I guess I could put it on github.
> >
> > Anyway, attached is the patch I'm using now with 64-bit httpd 2.4.x.
> >

> I'd rather it were in SVN if possible. I'd be happy to do this if I
> can. Where's best? I assume:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/apxs/trunk/
>
> so as to leave room for branches/ and tags/ ?

That makes sense to me. (At first it seems like stuffing this toy under
"support" or "toys" or something else that could hold other small bits, but
then any future branches and tags just for this wouldn't follow the normal
convention.)

> (And I'd love to see it in httpd one day :-)

Or rather, apr *and* apr-util *and* httpd... But it would be appropriate
for those projects to avoid requiring Perl (ha :) ) and in general provide
build support that makes sense for Windows workflows (whatever that may
be).

Re: apxs for Windows -- where is it in svn? it is part of apache, not mod_perl. no idea if windows includes it [ In reply to ]
On 15 November 2013 17:05, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 3:40 AM, Steve Hay <steve.m.hay@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 14 November 2013 23:38, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I guess I could put it on github.
>> >
>> > Anyway, attached is the patch I'm using now with 64-bit httpd 2.4.x.
>> >

>> I'd rather it were in SVN if possible. I'd be happy to do this if I
>> can. Where's best? I assume:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/apxs/trunk/
>>
>> so as to leave room for branches/ and tags/ ?
>

> That makes sense to me. (At first it seems like stuffing this toy under
> "support" or "toys" or something else that could hold other small bits, but
> then any future branches and tags just for this wouldn't follow the normal
> convention.)

Thanks. This is now in SVN with as much history as I could find, plus
your patch, in the location agreed above.