How can I help get mod_perl 2 up and running on the latest Apache?

Best regards,

-Tom

Re: Help Offered [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm Tom Browder, a Perl user with a fair amount of Perl, C, and C++
> experience. I am upgrading my remote Apache server to 2.4.3 and want
> to use mod_perl.

Welcome!

> I have the mod_perl 2 svn trunk on my dev host running Ubuntu 11.04.
>
> How can I help get mod_perl 2 up and running on the latest Apache?

There are a few patches on the users and dev list in which some users
have shown they can compile mod_perl with Apache 2.4. Those need to be
reviewed, and revised such that Apache 2.x compatibility is maintained
if possible. This has been the general consensus regarding backwards
compatibility in the mod_perl 2.0 branch.

All tests should still pass, and then if you could submit a diff to
this list (doesn't have to be their version cleaned up, whatever you
think is best) then the developers here can review it and add the
patch to trunk. There's some symbol deprecation cleanup on the current
2.0.8 dev tip which I think resolves a 5.16.1 issue, so this could add
enough for a good 2.0.8 release.

Re: Help Offered [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Fred Moyer <fred@redhotpenguin.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm Tom Browder, a Perl user with a fair amount of Perl, C, and C++
> Welcome!

Thanks, Fred.

>> How can I help get mod_perl 2 up and running on the latest Apache?
>
> There are a few patches on the users and dev list in which some users
> have shown they can compile mod_perl with Apache 2.4. Those need to be

Okay, I found this most recent message on the dev list:

http://marc.info/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=134552778831100&w=2

but there seemed to be some confusion about currency and intertwining, etc.

Can anyone attach a complete set of patches for the current trunk to
get me started with a good build for Apache 2.4?

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom

Re: Help Offered [ In reply to ]
On 09/22/2012 12:59 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Fred Moyer <fred@redhotpenguin.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm Tom Browder, a Perl user with a fair amount of Perl, C, and C++
>> Welcome!
>
> Thanks, Fred.
>
>>> How can I help get mod_perl 2 up and running on the latest Apache?
>>
>> There are a few patches on the users and dev list in which some users
>> have shown they can compile mod_perl with Apache 2.4. Those need to be
>
> Okay, I found this most recent message on the dev list:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=134552778831100&w=2
>
> but there seemed to be some confusion about currency and intertwining, etc.
>
> Can anyone attach a complete set of patches for the current trunk to
> get me started with a good build for Apache 2.4?

I'm not sure if my patches [1] work with current trunk, but you should
be able to port them easily I think. Those patches are created against
the latest released mod_perl version.

[1] http://jkaluza.fedorapeople.org/mod_perl

Re: Help Offered [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 1:07 AM, Jan Kaluža <jkaluza@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 09/22/2012 12:59 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Fred Moyer <fred@redhotpenguin.com>
>> wrote:
>>> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>> Can anyone attach a complete set of patches for the current trunk to
>> get me started with a good build for Apache 2.4?
> I'm not sure if my patches [1] work with current trunk, but you should be
> able to port them easily I think. Those patches are created against the
> latest released mod_perl version.
>
> [1] http://jkaluza.fedorapeople.org/mod_perl

Thanks, Jan.

Best regards,

-Tom

Re: Help Offered [ In reply to ]
> > On 09/22/2012 12:59 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
> >> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Fred Moyer
> >> <fred@redhotpenguin.com>
> >> Can anyone attach a complete set of patches for the current trunk
> >> get me started with a good build for Apache 2.4?
> > I'm not sure if my patches [1] work with current trunk, but you
> > should be
> > able to port them easily I think. Those patches are created against
> > the
> > latest released mod_perl version.
> >
> > [1] http://jkaluza.fedorapeople.org/mod_perl
>
> Thanks, Jan.

Note that you have to run following commands as specified in my previous email [1]:
make source_scan
make xs_generate

[1] http://marc.info/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=133887888412245&w=2