Mailing List Archive

Getting ASP working
Hi all,

Hello to everyone. :)

I have a WHM/cpanel server running RHEL4 and apache 2.2.

I used to have a working ASP (using cpanels apache-asp.sea (which is now
obsolete)) with apache 1.3 but since upgrading I can't get it working
with 2.2.

I can run asp-perl from shell and asp works but not in the browser.

I've googled and read for days but I'm still unsure of what I'm missing,
I had mod-perl 1 which I have now uninstalled and am unable to install
mod-perl 2 via easyapache3 in WHM (errors out).

This link http://www.apache-asp.org/cgi.html explains how to use
Apache::ASP without mod-perl and I have tried but it only seems to be
for apache 1.

I'm at my wits end.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks
tom

Re: Getting ASP working [ In reply to ]
Tom wrote:
> I've googled and read for days but I'm still unsure of what I'm missing,
> I had mod-perl 1 which I have now uninstalled and am unable to install
> mod-perl 2 via easyapache3 in WHM (errors out).

This is the problem with these control panels which aim to make things
"easy". It's only easy if you only want to do exactly what they've
already provided. Once you step off their path, you end up fighting the
control panel because they've f'd the base OS stuff up something good.

Me, hard bitten and gun shy? Oh yeah you betcha.

So, you can continue trying to make the thing do what it doesn't want to
do, or you can move web service to a plain old VPS with a default OS
install. Then you'll find that all the instructions start working,
because the instructions were written with the assumption that you're
working with a sane OS.

Initially painful? Oh yes. Better in the long term? Much.

Re: Re: Getting ASP working [ In reply to ]
<snip>

> So, you can continue trying to make the thing do what it doesn't want to
> do, or you can move web service to a plain old VPS with a default OS
> install. Then you'll find that all the instructions start working,
> because the instructions were written with the assumption that you're
> working with a sane OS.
>
> Initially painful? Oh yes. Better in the long term? Much.

</snip>

FWIW, I second this. I have had several hosting packages which used the
Plesk control panel, which promises Apache::ASP support. Inevitably the
Apache::ASP configuration specified in the read-only vhost.conf file
would be wrong. For example, having PerlSetVar Global /tmp, but not
allowing access to /tmp via FTP, so no easy way to create/edit global.asa

While it was possible to ask the hosting provider to make manual changes
to the vhost configuration files, these changes would get lost every
time they upgraded the systems. Plus there was no way for me to restart
Apache if I made a change to a Perl .pm library.

Now have my own server and not looked back since.

Good luck!

-Chris