Mailing List Archive

Global not always global?
I am moving my site to a new host. Although I thought I had it
originally setup in a portable fashion, I have had to make changes in my
code to allow for a different environment. One problem I have had is this:

At the top of global.asa (not inside any subs) I have the line:

our ($base_url, $Form); # running on perl 5.8.5

inside the Script_OnStart event I have:

$base_url = 'http://url/to/site';

Correct me if I'm wrong: This scalar should be global to all the scripts
on my site, yes?

I only have one StateDir and Global directory. I'm not trying to run
more than one ASP application, or share anything. Just one website
running with one global.asa, etc. It is still working fine on my old
host this way.

As soon as I try to use $base_url in another script, I get the following
error:

error including default.inc, not compiled: maybe use strict error:
Variable "$base_url" is not imported at /home/xxxxxx/asp/default.inc
line 22. , /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Apache/ASP.pm line 1521

In .htaccess I have StatINC set to 1 until I can get all the bugs worked
out. Does that have any affect on this?

Re: Global not always global? [ In reply to ]
D. L. Fox wrote:
> In .htaccess I have...

This is the only thing that stands out for me. I wouldn't expect things
like globals to work if you don't set up Apache::ASP in the main
httpd.conf file, or some file it directly includes. Per-directory
configuration should only be used for overrides, not global behavior.