Mailing List Archive

might be Off Topic...
I'm not sure if this is off topic because I'm not sure what is causing
my problem - HTML, Apache::ASP, or what...

I've been working on converting a personal site to XHTML 1.0 strict. The
test page I'm using validates as XHTML 1.0 strict per the W3C validator.
The problem I'm having is when submitting a form from that page.
Although the browser is directed to the page listed in the "action"
attribute, there is no data in QUERY_STRING. The form "method" attribute
is set to "post", and REMOTE_METHOD shows that.

In my global.asa file I have:

sub Script_OnStart{
$Form = $Request->Form;
$Response->Include('header.inc');
} # end Script_OnStart

At the top of the page receiving the form input (display.asp) is the line:

my @rssfeeds = keys %{$Form};

I am using a similar line in another page on the site (receiving data
from a different form) with no problems. It grabs the data submitted
just fine.

In the problem page, @rssfeeds is undefined after submitting data from
its form page (index.asp).

The test page is located at:

http://www.frigginjiggy.com/xhtml/news/

The source code for that page, and the display page, can be viewed at:

http://www.frigginjiggy.com/xhtml/index.asp.txt
http://www.frigginjiggy.com/xhtml/display.asp.txt

Keep in mind this is not a final version of the site. ;)

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated. I can't seem to
figure it out.

~ D ~

Re: might be Off Topic... [ In reply to ]
D. L. Fox wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is off topic because I'm not sure what is causing
> my problem - HTML, Apache::ASP, or what...
>
> I've been working on converting a personal site to XHTML 1.0 strict. The
> test page I'm using validates as XHTML 1.0 strict per the W3C validator.
> The problem I'm having is when submitting a form from that page.
> Although the browser is directed to the page listed in the "action"
> attribute, there is no data in QUERY_STRING. The form "method" attribute
> is set to "post", and REMOTE_METHOD shows that.
>
> In my global.asa file I have:
>
> sub Script_OnStart{
> $Form = $Request->Form;
> $Response->Include('header.inc');
> } # end Script_OnStart
>
> At the top of the page receiving the form input (display.asp) is the line:
>
> my @rssfeeds = keys %{$Form};
>
> I am using a similar line in another page on the site (receiving data
> from a different form) with no problems. It grabs the data submitted
> just fine.
>
> In the problem page, @rssfeeds is undefined after submitting data from
> its form page (index.asp).
>
> The test page is located at:
>
> http://www.frigginjiggy.com/xhtml/news/
>
> The source code for that page, and the display page, can be viewed at:
>
> http://www.frigginjiggy.com/xhtml/index.asp.txt
> http://www.frigginjiggy.com/xhtml/display.asp.txt
>
> Keep in mind this is not a final version of the site. ;)
>
> Any help with this issue would be much appreciated. I can't seem to
> figure it out.

Sorry, me neither.

The problem seems to be what the browser is sending, since on the
server side its not seeing any content uploaded from the form:

$Form = Apache::ASP::Collection=HASH(0x956da20)
CONTENT_LENGTH = 0
CONTENT_TYPE = application/x-www-form-urlencoded
MOD_PERL = mod_perl/1.99_09
QUERY_STRING =
REQUEST_METHOD = POST
SERVER_SOFTWARE = Apache

So maybe the HTML itself is not correct, but honestly it looked
fine to me.

Maybe also a chance that the apache server + mod_perl is too old
and you should upgrade. The mod_perl version is pretty old
at this point.

Regards,

Josh

Re: might be Off Topic... [ In reply to ]
Joshua Chamas wrote:

> The problem seems to be what the browser is sending, since on the
> server side its not seeing any content uploaded from the form:

I thought it might be something with Firefox so I tried it with IE,
Netscape, Mozilla, and Opera all with the same results.

> So maybe the HTML itself is not correct, but honestly it looked
> fine to me.

I wondered if the HTML might have something to do with it but it
validates as strict per the W3C, so I'm not sure what to think.

> Maybe also a chance that the apache server + mod_perl is too old
> and you should upgrade. The mod_perl version is pretty old
> at this point.

I wish I had that option. This is a hosted site, unlike before when I
normally ran things on my own stuff. I have been searching for another
host provider anyway. I am no longer satisfied with my current one. They
don't seem to stay up-to-date with their software, and they change
things which will break your site without telling you.

The main reason I chose this provider was because they had Apache::ASP.
Now I need to find another host account with Apache::ASP. Is there a
list of providers using Apache::ASP somewhere?

I've been looking through the many lists of providers on the 'Net but
it's difficult to search on Apache::ASP because it always turns up
MS-ASP or Chili. I can program in VB just fine but would *much* rather
use Apache::ASP and Perl.

Re: might be Off Topic... [ In reply to ]
Hi D.L.,

just an idea - try to add a "name" attribute to the
"input" elements instaed of / in addition to the
"id" attributes.

Helmut

Re: might be Off Topic... [ In reply to ]
Bingo...we have a winner! That seems to have fixed the problem. Many
thanks.

Interestingly enough, when I switched to using a Select statement with
options, as opposed to using checkboxes, I also had to name the select
object. Just naming the options wasn't enough. Interesting.

Thanks to all who took the time to look this one over. It really had me
confused.

Re: might be Off Topic... [ In reply to ]
Correction. The select element is all that needed the "name" attribute.
The "name" attribute is not allowed for an option element (or form
element) in XHTML strict. However, giving the select element a "name"
attribute is acceptable, and was sufficient to fix the problem.

I think I might use this as an experiment for other form elements as
well, to see what other little quirks there may be in using forms while
maintaining the XHTML strict standard.

Re: might be Off Topic... [ In reply to ]
D. L. Fox wrote:

> The main reason I chose this provider was because they had Apache::ASP.
> Now I need to find another host account with Apache::ASP. Is there a
> list of providers using Apache::ASP somewhere?

You can check out:
http://www.apache-asp.org/support.html#COMMERCIAL

> I've been looking through the many lists of providers on the 'Net but
> it's difficult to search on Apache::ASP because it always turns up
> MS-ASP or Chili. I can program in VB just fine but would *much* rather
> use Apache::ASP and Perl.

yep, you might also try searches on "mod_perl apache asp hosting"

And lastly you could try running in standalone CGI mode with full
mod_perl support, but could be tricky to set up in a home directory,
but I think possible.

Regards,

Josh