syntax error in A, it will create an Internal Server error. However,
site B, which should be independent of A, also creates an error, and it
logs(!) the error of A in its own error_log.

Both virtualhosts use a different statedir, and they do not share any
modules/scripts.

Any ideas?? I think I am using the newest Apache/ASP/mod_perl version
(but this happened previously in older versions as well). This is RedHat 8.

- Csongor

Re: Virtual host interference? [ In reply to ]
Csongor Fagyal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have faced this interesting problem several times. Here is what happens:
> I have virtualhost A and virtualhost B both running ASP. Virtualhost A
> has a custom Perl module loaded using a simle 'use'. Now if I have a
> syntax error in A, it will create an Internal Server error. However,
> site B, which should be independent of A, also creates an error, and it
> logs(!) the error of A in its own error_log.
>
> Both virtualhosts use a different statedir, and they do not share any
> modules/scripts.
>
> Any ideas?? I think I am using the newest Apache/ASP/mod_perl version
> (but this happened previously in older versions as well). This is RedHat 8.

If you are setting "use strict;" in your scripts, try using the UseStrict
config also as the errors are handled better then.

If that does not work for you, then it may be helpful to see what the
error message is, or even a trace from your error log for these requests
when Debug -1 is set.

Regards,

Josh

Re: Virtual host interference? [ In reply to ]
Josh Chamas wrote:

> Csongor Fagyal wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have faced this interesting problem several times. Here is what
>> happens:
>> I have virtualhost A and virtualhost B both running ASP. Virtualhost
>> A has a custom Perl module loaded using a simle 'use'. Now if I have
>> a syntax error in A, it will create an Internal Server error.
>> However, site B, which should be independent of A, also creates an
>> error, and it logs(!) the error of A in its own error_log.
>>
>> Both virtualhosts use a different statedir, and they do not share any
>> modules/scripts.
>>
>> Any ideas?? I think I am using the newest Apache/ASP/mod_perl version
>> (but this happened previously in older versions as well). This is
>> RedHat 8.
>>

> If you are setting "use strict;" in your scripts, try using the UseStrict
> config also as the errors are handled better then.
>
> If that does not work for you, then it may be helpful to see what the
> error message is, or even a trace from your error log for these requests
> when Debug -1 is set.

I have tried UseStrict and indeed I had some scripts which were not
written in a way they should have :-) That is, I had some undeclared
variables (well... kind of). Since then I have not seen this error ...
the problem is that this error was occusring very rarely even when I did
not use UseStrict. So if this error will not occur again in the next few
months, then I will consider this issue solved :-)

Thank you for your help,
- Cs.

Re: Virtual host interference? [ In reply to ]
--- In apache-asp@yahoogroups.com, Csongor Fagyal <concept@c...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have faced this interesting problem several times. Here is what
happens:
> I have virtualhost A and virtualhost B both running ASP. Virtualhost A
> has a custom Perl module loaded using a simle 'use'. Now if I have a
> syntax error in A, it will create an Internal Server error. However,
> site B, which should be independent of A, also creates an error, and it
> logs(!) the error of A in its own error_log.
>
> Both virtualhosts use a different statedir, and they do not share any
> modules/scripts.
>
> Any ideas?? I think I am using the newest Apache/ASP/mod_perl version
> (but this happened previously in older versions as well). This is
RedHat 8.

> - Csongor

I found a link which confirms the problem and proposes a big, big
workaround:

http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/control/control.html#Starting_a_Personal_Server_for_Each_Developer

Separate servers for each developer.

Why?? We never had to do that for PHP!

Re: Virtual host interference? [ In reply to ]
shroompicker2000 wrote:
> --- In apache-asp@yahoogroups.com, Csongor Fagyal <concept@c...> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have faced this interesting problem several times. Here is what
>
> happens:
>
>>I have virtualhost A and virtualhost B both running ASP. Virtualhost A
>>has a custom Perl module loaded using a simle 'use'. Now if I have a
>>syntax error in A, it will create an Internal Server error. However,
>>site B, which should be independent of A, also creates an error, and it
>>logs(!) the error of A in its own error_log.
>>
>>Both virtualhosts use a different statedir, and they do not share any
>>modules/scripts.
>>
>>Any ideas?? I think I am using the newest Apache/ASP/mod_perl version
>>(but this happened previously in older versions as well). This is

If you are using StatINC or StatINCMatch settings, this could trigger
a check of a module that is unrelated to your Apache::ASP scripts.

If you are using another related Apache::* module that does something
similar, this could be a reason also.

Regards,

Josh