Mailing List Archive

Re: mod_perl marketing
** This message is being resubmitted from the modperl discussion
** mailing list. Someone suggested that we should write an article
** about using Apache as a mail proxy -- anyone know how we can get
** that done?

We have been using mod_perl successfully for several months now as a
flexible email proxy -- we just wrapped Net::Server::Mail and with a
few additional hacks and it worked. Matt Sergeant did the same thing
with qpsmtpd and I have heard that the performance results were
initially very promising
(http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/qmail0411/120/1/1/1.html).

More details of our hack (patches etc.) are at
http://www.mailchannels.com/opensource and
http://search.cpan.org/~mock/Apache-SMTP-0.01/lib/Apache/SMTP.pm.

IMHO, using mod_perl as a general application server is a great
idea. For us there really was no other viable alternative. We looked
at POE, Sendmail's milter API, Net::Server and of course qpsmtpd but
the reliability, portability, and scalability of Apache was what
caused us to go through the effort of making our bits work on
mod_perl.

To configure a mail server, it's just a matter of adding a VirtualHost
section to the Apache configuration et voila. And as packages such as
mod_throttle move over to Apache 2, we will gain the wonderment of a
solid resource management tool for mail traffic. Joy!

TTUL
Ken

Frank Wiles [30/11/04 13:30 -0600]:

--
MailChannels: Assured Messaging

--
Eliminate Critical False Positives
http://www.mailchannels.com

Ken Simpson, CEO
+1-604-729-1741

Re: mod_perl marketing [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:26:40 -0800
Ken Simpson <ksimpson@ffiigsoqzst.mailchannels.com> wrote:

> ** This message is being resubmitted from the modperl discussion
> ** mailing list. Someone suggested that we should write an article
> ** about using Apache as a mail proxy -- anyone know how we can get
> ** that done?
>
> We have been using mod_perl successfully for several months now as a
> flexible email proxy -- we just wrapped Net::Server::Mail and with a
> few additional hacks and it worked. Matt Sergeant did the same thing
> with qpsmtpd and I have heard that the performance results were
> initially very promising
> (http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/qmail0411/120/1/1/1.html).
>
> More details of our hack (patches etc.) are at
> http://www.mailchannels.com/opensource and
> http://search.cpan.org/~mock/Apache-SMTP-0.01/lib/Apache/SMTP.pm.
>
> IMHO, using mod_perl as a general application server is a great
> idea. For us there really was no other viable alternative. We looked
> at POE, Sendmail's milter API, Net::Server and of course qpsmtpd but
> the reliability, portability, and scalability of Apache was what
> caused us to go through the effort of making our bits work on
> mod_perl.
>
> To configure a mail server, it's just a matter of adding a VirtualHost
> section to the Apache configuration et voila. And as packages such as
> mod_throttle move over to Apache 2, we will gain the wonderment of a
> solid resource management tool for mail traffic. Joy!

It should be pretty easy to get that article on perl.com. If you
just want to write a small success story for http://perl.apache.org
we can put that up as well.

Re: mod_perl marketing [ In reply to ]
Frank Wiles wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:26:40 -0800
> Ken Simpson <ksimpson@ffiigsoqzst.mailchannels.com> wrote:
>

>>** This message is being resubmitted from the modperl discussion
>>** mailing list. Someone suggested that we should write an article
>>** about using Apache as a mail proxy -- anyone know how we can get
>>** that done?
>>
>>We have been using mod_perl successfully for several months now as a
>>flexible email proxy -- we just wrapped Net::Server::Mail and with a
>>few additional hacks and it worked. Matt Sergeant did the same thing
>>with qpsmtpd and I have heard that the performance results were
>>initially very promising
>>(http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/qmail0411/120/1/1/1.html).
>>
>>More details of our hack (patches etc.) are at
>>http://www.mailchannels.com/opensource and
>>http://search.cpan.org/~mock/Apache-SMTP-0.01/lib/Apache/SMTP.pm.
>>
>>IMHO, using mod_perl as a general application server is a great
>>idea. For us there really was no other viable alternative. We looked
>>at POE, Sendmail's milter API, Net::Server and of course qpsmtpd but
>>the reliability, portability, and scalability of Apache was what
>>caused us to go through the effort of making our bits work on
>>mod_perl.
>>
>>To configure a mail server, it's just a matter of adding a VirtualHost
>>section to the Apache configuration et voila. And as packages such as
>>mod_throttle move over to Apache 2, we will gain the wonderment of a
>>solid resource management tool for mail traffic. Joy!
>

> It should be pretty easy to get that article on perl.com. If you
> just want to write a small success story for http://perl.apache.org
> we can put that up as well.

I think both would be great.

To get your article on perl.com, please see:
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/general/writing.html

To get your success story on perl.apache.org, please see the bottom of:
http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/success_stories/index.html

Re: mod_perl marketing [ In reply to ]
> I think both would be great.
>
> To get your article on perl.com, please see:
> http://www.perl.com/pub/a/general/writing.html
>
> To get your success story on perl.apache.org, please see the bottom of:
> http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/success_stories/index.html

Thanks, Stas and Frank. I have added this to our todo list. We will
check out writing an article in the next week.

Regards,
Ken

Re: mod_perl marketing [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 15:01 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
> To get your article on perl.com, please see:
> http://www.perl.com/pub/a/general/writing.html

If you guys are up for it, I think this story is interesting enough to
go in a more general publication, like Linux Mag, Linux Journal, or
Sysadmin. It's a good one because it demonstrates a practical use of a
new mod_perl 2 feature.

- Perrin

Re: mod_perl marketing [ In reply to ]
> If you guys are up for it, I think this story is interesting enough to
> go in a more general publication, like Linux Mag, Linux Journal, or
> Sysadmin. It's a good one because it demonstrates a practical use of a
> new mod_perl 2 feature.

I'm up for anything that promotes using Perl and Apache for email
delivery. I think with mod_perl we can build an awesome mail server
and it would be great to see it promoted and even to have a community
develop around the concept.

Do you know anyone at the Linux Journal?

TTUL
Ken

Re: mod_perl marketing [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:07:05 -0500
Perrin Harkins <perrin@elem.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 15:01 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > To get your article on perl.com, please see:
> > http://www.perl.com/pub/a/general/writing.html
>
> If you guys are up for it, I think this story is interesting enough to
> go in a more general publication, like Linux Mag, Linux Journal, or
> Sysadmin. It's a good one because it demonstrates a practical use of
> a new mod_perl 2 feature.
>
> - Perrin

I agree, I almost suggested SysAdmin, but I'm not sure it will fit
into their editorial calendar any time soon, but worth a try. I think
Linux Mag or Linux Journal might be a better fit for it.

Re: mod_perl marketing [ In reply to ]
I wrote an application which might be worth of sharing with you.

This is a httpd chat server in mod_perl. One uses a browser to
chat, no Java or Flash or download. No refresh tag in HTML META, yet,
the chatting messages move up quietly in a continuous flow. Chatters
can join or leave rooms as registered user or anonymously;
they can chat public or private; moderators can kick bad guys etc.
In the private chat mode, it functions basically like an IM.

Internally, the browsers pulls the latest messages from the
server every 1 second (or 2, configurable), and there is
Javascript-to-Perl variable mapping, so the browser can carefully
display only the newly added information. It is estimated to be
able to serve about 1000 concurrent chatters: 10 rooms with
average 100 people in a room.

On the backend, there are considerable usages of high topics
such as session, memory sharing etc.

I feel this is kind of cool :-), well, if you know any one already
wrote such an application, let me know. I googled PHP's
"chat module", Jabber web chat and etc., so far, this
mod_perl application looks way better in both speed and capicity.

Some of the ideas may extend to other interesting web applications.
E.g. to play chess on a web site --- again, no Java nor
Flash, just two remote players with IE. Also, the server can serve
not only words but also multimedia content, like a "remote training".

Well, just 2 cents.

Re: mod_perl marketing [ In reply to ]
I'm knee-deep in a start-up of my own ... starting, building
Revolutionary Web-based Games. The project has gotten a fair deal of
attention in angel and VC communities in San Francisco and New York,
and is currently in an alpha development state. It's not a success
story yet, but it will be next year.

We're using mp2 for all of our web interfaces. In my view, mp2 finally
puts Perl to use for what it's really good at in web apps: NOT markup,
but true MVC/MVP development. Perl's terse-ity in writing short,
specific, and simple functional handlers (DB access, file manipulation,
data conversions, etc.) that return XML or other data structs,
processed by a filter with mod_xslt (superfast) or mp2 with
XML::LibXSLT is, frankly, a dream. Apache2/mp2 puts the functional
separation where, IMO, it belongs (the daemon), rather than where most
of us have been trying to do it (in a single handler that does all its
own processing, dispatching, throwing $r to and fro). In our system,
other applications (Flash) need to access those same simple routines,
and do so directly, so there's zero code duplication from the server
standpoint.

- Dan