Mailing List Archive

ping!
I just wanted to stop lurking and get round to pinging this list
[thanks to Jeff for the prodding :)]

Just a little bit of background, I'm the PR chair for The Perl
Foundation (TPF), and I'm trying to help both TPF and other Perl
communities do better at spreading news about the good things that we
do. One of my current goals is to try to find an outside PR firm to
help with the distribution of press releases etc. If anybody has any
recommendations, please get in touch.

My day job involves a lot of mod_perl stuff, so I reminded my boss that
mod_perl makes us a lot of money so the least we could do is write
something up for the "Technologie Extraordinaire" section. I also got a
some feedback from him on this section, from the perspective of a
marketing guy.

* Firstly, we had a little trouble finding the section. I was looking
for "Success Stories" or something in the left bar.
* Looking at the "Success Stories" page his first comment was "they're
just emails!".
* They seem pretty outdated.
* It doesn't seem too professional, one for instance was from a "Smelly
Belly".

Possibly a good thing to do is remove most of these and try to focus
the effort pushing big sites that use mod_perl with more marketing
friendly copy. I'll pick the brains of some more colleagues next week
to get some more feedback from non-Perl people.

Would it be possible to have these pages on some kind of staging wiki
to make it easy for people to contribute?

I also thought that I saw a page somewhere that listed companies that
contributed money/developers to mod_perl development, but I can't seem
to find it now. He was interested in how he would be able to sponsor
efforts to increase awareness in the community, should there be a list
of people/projects looking for funding somewhere? Also on this note, it
would be nice to see some mod_perl projects submitted for the next
round of TPF grants
(http://www.perlfoundation.org/gc/grants/proposals.html).

Cheers!
Gavin.

Re: ping! [ In reply to ]
Gavin Estey wrote:

> I just wanted to stop lurking and get round to pinging this list [thanks
> to Jeff for the prodding :)]

Great news, Gavin!

> Just a little bit of background, I'm the PR chair for The Perl
> Foundation (TPF), and I'm trying to help both TPF and other Perl
> communities do better at spreading news about the good things that we
> do. One of my current goals is to try to find an outside PR firm to help
> with the distribution of press releases etc. If anybody has any
> recommendations, please get in touch.
>
> My day job involves a lot of mod_perl stuff, so I reminded my boss that
> mod_perl makes us a lot of money so the least we could do is write
> something up for the "Technologie Extraordinaire" section. I also got a
> some feedback from him on this section, from the perspective of a
> marketing guy.
>
> * Firstly, we had a little trouble finding the section. I was looking
> for "Success Stories" or something in the left bar.

done:
http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/index.html

> * Looking at the "Success Stories" page his first comment was "they're
> just emails!".
> * They seem pretty outdated.
> * It doesn't seem too professional, one for instance was from a "Smelly
> Belly".

Improvements are more than welcome :) 'just emails' was the best we could
come up with w/o introducing a huge overhead of managing those pages,
since we don't have time for doing that.

> Possibly a good thing to do is remove most of these and try to focus the
> effort pushing big sites that use mod_perl with more marketing friendly
> copy. I'll pick the brains of some more colleagues next week to get some
> more feedback from non-Perl people.
>
> Would it be possible to have these pages on some kind of staging wiki to
> make it easy for people to contribute?

the pages are autogenerated (from txt/html/pod sources). and as you said
by yourself, you want the pages to look spiffy and markety, so it's
probably out of question to let random people mess with those. If you want
to get a commit access and work on those, it's not a problem. On the other
hand the wiki scratch area could live elsewhere.

http://perl.apache.org/about/contributors/companies.html

> to find it now. He was interested in how he would be able to sponsor
> efforts to increase awareness in the community, should there be a list
> of people/projects looking for funding somewhere?

We used to have this page, but at some point it became empty and was
deleted (that was like 2-3 years ago, before the site revamp).

> Also on this note, it
> would be nice to see some mod_perl projects submitted for the next round
> of TPF grants (http://www.perlfoundation.org/gc/grants/proposals.html).

Yeah, I suppose most people are unaware of this option. I guess it should
appear somewhere on the perl.apache.org site and a reminider posted to the
list once in a while.

Someone has mentioned reviving the weekly/monthly modperl traffic
summaries. Those could include the reminder and other advocacy bits.

Re: ping! [ In reply to ]
Gavin Estey said:
> One of my current goals is to try to find an outside PR firm to
> help with the distribution of press releases etc. If anybody has any
> recommendations, please get in touch.

My company (Plus Three) uses Racepoint Group for our PR. They represent
Red Hat as well, and understand more than most about open source and tech
in general. A friend of mine in PR tells me that companies sometimes take
on certain non-profits for free as a way to build goodwill in their field.
Maybe they would do soomething like this if you ask them on behalf of
TPF.
> Also on this note, it
> would be nice to see some mod_perl projects submitted for the next
> round of TPF grants
> (http://www.perlfoundation.org/gc/grants/proposals.html).

Maybe we should see if we can get Tim Bunce a grant to finish DBI pooling
for us. While I am personally not very interested in this feature, it has
good PR value.
- Perrin

Re: ping! [ In reply to ]
On Aug 19, 2004, at 10:25 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> My company (Plus Three) uses Racepoint Group for our PR. They
> represent
> Red Hat as well, and understand more than most about open source and
> tech
> in general. A friend of mine in PR tells me that companies sometimes
> take
> on certain non-profits for free as a way to build goodwill in their
> field.
> Maybe they would do soomething like this if you ask them on behalf of
> TPF.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll send an email their way.

Cheers,
Gavin.

Re: ping! [ In reply to ]
And there are also the Apache Software Foundation resources. I'm not sure
what they can do for us, but I know ASF java projects do get PRs released.
Not sure if it's through ASF or not.